Meze Audio 109 Pro
Sep 28, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #586 of 3,451
It's the annoying and painful "T" in voices for example, tibilance. Is the "T" called sibilance too? Anyway, that's the issue I had on day one.
DT880+analythical dac/amp+fireworks launcher in GTAV=bleeding ears due to piercing highs. With the 109 it's very silky.
Love how all your audio references involve GTA5 rather than, say, Steely Dan :dt880smile:

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #587 of 3,451
Finally, got it mine today 😊 time to burn it 🔥
I also tried several different cables & systems..

6089A59A-1A8E-49D8-8097-A95B2CC34D53.jpeg

Sep 28, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #588 of 3,451
Yea, basically why I hate to call them sibilant...because they really aren't and everyone is going to (for whatever reason) chime in with negative comments and poke fun without even hearing them.

It's not that they are sibilant...it's that they are dynamic (and fun).

And the MSR7B is not the same as MSR7 either.

Ugh, sorry I said anything. Let's keep the word "sibilant" away from these headphones because I'm very sensitive to it and these are far from it.
The Msr7b wasn't as fatiguing as the msr7 imo. I actually quite liked the upper frequencies of the Msr7b. If I didn't mind the upper mids and treble on the Msr7b, will I be okay with the 109, especially after burn in? Any sharper than the Msr7b I couldn't tolerate.

Sep 28, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #589 of 3,451
Love how all your audio references involve GTA5 rather than, say, Steely Dan :dt880smile:
I know, right?😂 I think it's because of the DT880 I had about 1,5 years ago and I didn't like it because the highs are very piercing. The reloading sounds of the weapons alone were painful and listening to some radiostations were painful too. Then I started to explore more about the world of audio and now finally got a better dac/amp, no more piercing highs. The Fiio K5 Pro with Beyerdynamics DT is unbearable. Rebought the DT880, 600ohm this time and I like it. My ears have been trained, which I kinda doubt or the Fiio K5 Pro is very trash.

Sep 28, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #590 of 3,451
It's the annoying and painful "T" in voices for example, tibilance. Is the "T" called sibilance too? Anyway, that's the issue I had on day one.
DT880+analythical dac/amp+fireworks launcher in GTAV=bleeding ears due to piercing highs. With the 109 it's very silky.
It's just a dynamic headphone with a little V shape. It's also pretty detailed, so it can be punishing on a song that doesn't tame these things.

I really hate to call it bright or sibilant or anything like that. These are terrific headphones and I don't think there's anything out there as good in it's price range. Throw in their comfort? Yea, you're not getting better here at $800.

If someone has this price bracket in mind, these will always be my immediate recommendation.

Of course if you want closed back or a different sound signature - there's other options. That makes total sense.

I probably wouldn't be trying to search reviews and forums to get a sense for how these sound. I would demo them...but really, they kinda get my "you can buy it blind and not worry" rating. I just don't really say that of headphones more than $400-500 in price because it's a lot of money if you end up not liking the sound signature.

It took me all of 5 minutes demoing them at Bloom Audio's booth at CanJam to make up my mind. The only reason I didn't ask if they were selling any on the spot (and got them a few days later from them) is because I had other headphones on my list to try and I had to sleep on it all.

The Audeze MM-500 was the other one that caught my attention...but at twice the cost and not really twice the performance? Pass. I mean if the 109 Pro didn't exist, then I think the MM-500 would be in better shape. However, there's still different sound signatures and so it comes down to preference. To me they were pretty much equally matched just a different tuning. So no brainer for half the price. 109 Pro is going to be a tough headphone for others to beat here in terms of value. It redefines this price level to be frank.

Not trying to over hype them, but yea it's something Meze should be proud of and something people should take note of.
The Msr7b wasn't as fatiguing as the msr7 imo. I actually quite liked the upper frequencies of the Msr7b. If I didn't mind the upper mids and treble on the Msr7b, will I be okay with the 109, especially after burn in? Any sharper than the Msr7b I couldn't tolerate.
I only have the MSR7 which fell victim to the kids. Well it's sturdy it's ok. I'll be sure to compare as I haven't listened to it some time...but no way is the 109 Pro fatiguing like the MSR7. Not in the slightest. I can listen to the 109 pro all day even though it is dynamic and has a decent energy to them.

It's not as in your face energy look at me look at me like Focal. Which I also don't find real fatiguing, it takes like half a day to want a break from Focal. Though I know that varies person to person.

Anyway, to give an idea best I can, I put these well beneath MSR7 for fatigue. I will compare again though.

Sep 28, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #591 of 3,451
It's just a dynamic headphone with a little V shape. It's also pretty detailed, so it can be punishing on a song that doesn't tame these things.

I really hate to call it bright or sibilant or anything like that. These are terrific headphones and I don't think there's anything out there as good in it's price range. Throw in their comfort? Yea, you're not getting better here at $800.

If someone has this price bracket in mind, these will always be my immediate recommendation.

Of course if you want closed back or a different sound signature - there's other options. That makes total sense.

I probably wouldn't be trying to search reviews and forums to get a sense for how these sound. I would demo them...but really, they kinda get my "you can buy it blind and not worry" rating. I just don't really say that of headphones more than $400-500 in price because it's a lot of money if you end up not liking the sound signature.

It took me all of 5 minutes demoing them at Bloom Audio's booth at CanJam to make up my mind. The only reason I didn't ask if they were selling any on the spot (and got them a few days later from them) is because I had other headphones on my list to try and I had to sleep on it all.

The Audeze MM-500 was the other one that caught my attention...but at twice the cost and not really twice the performance? Pass. I mean if the 109 Pro didn't exist, then I think the MM-500 would be in better shape. However, there's still different sound signatures and so it comes down to preference. To me they were pretty much equally matched just a different tuning. So no brainer for half the price. 109 Pro is going to be a tough headphone for others to beat here in terms of value. It redefines this price level to be frank.

Not trying to over hype them, but yea it's something Meze should be proud of and something people should take note of.

I only have the MSR7 which fell victim to the kids. Well it's sturdy it's ok. I'll be sure to compare as I haven't listened to it some time...but no way is the 109 Pro fatiguing like the MSR7. Not in the slightest. I can listen to the 109 pro all day even though it is dynamic and has a decent energy to them.

It's not as in your face energy look at me look at me like Focal. Which I also don't find real fatiguing, it takes like half a day to want a break from Focal. Though I know that varies person to person.

Anyway, to give an idea best I can, I put these well beneath MSR7 for fatigue. I will compare again though.
Outstanding

Sep 28, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #592 of 3,451
I'm hesitant to compare the 109 Pro to anything besides easy-to-drive DD cans like Focal. Even planars that are marketed as portable-friendly tend to really improve only when driven by desktop gear.

Sep 28, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #593 of 3,451
I'm hesitant to compare the 109 Pro to anything besides easy-to-drive DD cans like Focal. Even planars that are marketed as portable-friendly tend to really improve only when driven by desktop gear.
The Focal Clear (both) is a fair comparison. The Audeze MM-500 as well.

I would try them each and decide which you like best, but they are all on the same level in my opinion. It will likely come down to the sound signature you like best. Also fit and comfort.

Sep 28, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #595 of 3,451

Not to mention the 109 design, there is no other headphone out there that looks as beautiful as the Meze 109 at a price of 799!

Sep 28, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #596 of 3,451
Based on the comments, especially those that mention the Focal Clears, descriptions of the 109 sounds rather similar to the Focal Clear MG. Has anyone heard both?
I have. Just the other week at CanJam. I ended up with the 109 Pro.

I don't want to say that was only because I already have a pair of Focal, but a big factor was that I do. So if I'm in the mood for Focal's house sound, I can pick up the Elegias. Though they are closed back of course. You can tell the Clear and Elegia, Stellia and Celestee for that matter too are all of the same family. Nothing wrong with doubling down on one brand. The 109 Pro makes the second Meze headphone I own now.

That's the direction I went, but they're all terrific.

Sep 28, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #597 of 3,451
Not to mention the 109 design, there is no other headphone out there that looks as beautiful as the Meze 109 at a price of 799!
Focal Celestee is similiar in my opinion and cheaper. I think the original design of the Meze 99 classic for 300 is really special for its price bracket. For 1000 you can get the Focal Radiance which look better than the 109, but both are closed and its definitley a matter of taste.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #599 of 3,451
Focal Celestee is similiar in my opinion and cheaper. I think the original design of the Meze 99 classic for 300 is really special for its price bracket. For 1000 you can get the Focal Radiance which look better than the 109, but both are closed and its definitley a matter of taste.
Matter of opinion. I think both the Radiance and 109 are quite lovely, but the 109 is a bit more special imo.

Sep 28, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #600 of 3,451
I have. Just the other week at CanJam. I ended up with the 109 Pro.

I don't want to say that was only because I already have a pair of Focal, but a big factor was that I do. So if I'm in the mood for Focal's house sound, I can pick up the Elegias. Though they are closed back of course. You can tell the Clear and Elegia, Stellia and Celestee for that matter too are all of the same family. Nothing wrong with doubling down on one brand. The 109 Pro makes the second Meze headphone I own now.

That's the direction I went, but they're all terrific.
Can you recall enough from the MG to talk about any particular or subtle differences? I know the MG quite well, so this would be really helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back