Meze Audio 109 Pro
Sep 27, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #572 of 3,451
Are users experiencing unit variances in the upper frequencies, or is there a peak somewhere that some people can't tolerate?
I couldn't tolerate the sharp sss on day one and it stood like that for about 2 days and then it started to get better. One day 2 it was already getting better and on monday my Meze copper cable got delivered. No real differences except slightly warmer sounding but after that, it has gotten much better. That's all my honest experience I can share.

As personal testing, I use the radiostations in GTAV as some of them has the annoying sibilance I can't tolerate. No longer an issue.

Sep 27, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #573 of 3,451
Following because my pair are in the mail lol.

Sep 27, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #574 of 3,451
Got the Meze 109 Pros in to compare against the Hifiman Arya Stealths I also recently picked up. I had high expectations for the 109s seeing some of the positivity around them over the last couple of weeks.

The Meze’s are quite comfortable, their sound is fun and more forward. The bass extension and impact doesn't seem as good, the highs come across as more sibilant/fatiguing, the soundstage isn’t as wide, and they aren’t quite as detailed. Between the two, for me, I think the Aryas win. I compared them both without EQ connected to my Clarett 2Pre audio interface and Qudelix 5k connected to my iPhone 13 Pro Max. I didn't spend any time burning either pair of headphones in because it isn't something I personally subscribe to. I think the 109s are better in comfort, aesthetics (I don’t look like I’m Frankstein with the 109s on my head which I can’t say for the Aryas), feel at least as well built, and it doesn’t hurt that they’re a fair bit less expensive.

All of that said I do think the 109s are a good sounding pair of headphones but I don't know if they're the right pair for me. I'm also not sure that they're necessarily the value monsters, in technical prowess, that some others say they are. Maybe to their ears they are but, so far, not mine. I test all the headphones I get on the two setups where I would actually use them from day to day which are my computer and my phone so, unfortunately, whether or not something becomes substantially better on a dedicated rig doesn't really factor in for me because it's equipment I have no plans (at least currently) of getting.

Sep 27, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #576 of 3,451
Got the Meze 109 Pros in to compare against the Hifiman Arya Stealths I also recently picked up. I had high expectations for the 109s seeing some of the positivity around them over the last couple of weeks.

The Meze’s are quite comfortable, their sound is fun and more forward. The bass extension and impact doesn't seem as good, the highs come across as more sibilant/fatiguing, the soundstage isn’t as wide, and they aren’t quite as detailed. Between the two, for me, I think the Aryas win. I compared them both without EQ connected to my Clarett 2Pre audio interface and Qudelix 5k connected to my iPhone 13 Pro Max. I didn't spend any time burning either pair of headphones in because it isn't something I personally subscribe to. I think the 109s are better in comfort, aesthetics (I don’t look like I’m Frankstein with the 109s on my head which I can’t say for the Aryas), feel at least as well built, and it doesn’t hurt that they’re a fair bit less expensive.

All of that said I do think the 109s are a good sounding pair of headphones but I don't know if they're the right pair for me. I'm also not sure that they're necessarily the value monsters, in technical prowess, that some others say they are. Maybe to their ears they are but, so far, not mine. I test all the headphones I get on the two setups where I would actually use them from day to day which are my computer and my phone so, unfortunately, whether or not something becomes substantially better on a dedicated rig doesn't really factor in for me because it's equipment I have no plans (at least currently) of getting.
Read the experiences shared by me and others. It's way too early and too fast, you'd need a week to get used to the new sound. I was exactly like you at first and now the 109 is my daily driver.

Sep 27, 2022 at 9:19 PM Post #577 of 3,451

The Hifiman Arya Stealths are normally priced with 1800USD and are in sale for 1300USD and have a really good value. Like Resolve said the 109s are technically like the Hifiman XS which are priced with 500 USD, but Hifiman has a really good value. So thats a good thing. I have the XS and the Arya SE. The difference is there, but the Aryas aren't (more than) 2 times better. I think the XS have insane value.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #578 of 3,451
I couldn't tolerate the sharp sss on day one and it stood like that for about 2 days and then it started to get better. One day 2 it was already getting better and on monday my Meze copper cable got delivered. No real differences except slightly warmer sounding but after that, it has gotten much better. That's all my honest experience I can share.

As personal testing, I use the radiostations in GTAV as some of them has the annoying sibilance I can't tolerate. No longer an issue.
I can definitely hear some sibilance (or why someone may feel that way) due to the dynamics on the 109 pro. It's not that bad... I'm comparing this with the Audio Technica MSR7. The MSR7 is wayyy more sibilant and I know even that headphone is debatable among people for being ok or too sibilant.

I really have a hard time calling these sibilant though. It depends on what you're listening to and it's not skewed toward the high end or something. it's just very dynamic and detailed. Reminds me of Focal on a sense, but not as much energy. If that makes sense.

The other thing this means is we get better (in my opinion) bass.

So I like the 109 pro on a solid state amp with a good bit of power. Just very dynamic, very clean sound.

However. I also did try it on a tube amp (preamp as well). Tubes can cut that right out. So you'll squash any sibilance, but likely also cut out some of the bass. Some people may actually like this though - particularly if you think the bass is too much on the 109 pro.

So I'd definitely try the 109 pro on a variety of amps. It really can have a dramatic effect on these headphones.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 11:35 PM Post #579 of 3,451
I can definitely hear some sibilance due to the dynamics on the 109 pro. It's not that bad... I'm comparing this with the Audio Technica MSR7. The MSR7 is wayyy more sibilant and I know even that headphone is debatable among people for being ok or too sibilant.

I really have a hard time calling these sibilant though. It depends on what you're listening to and it's not skewed toward the high end or something. it's just very dynamic and detailed. Reminds me of Focal on a sense, but not as much energy. If that makes sense.

So I like the 109 pro on a solid state amp with a good bit of power. Just very dynamic, very clean sound.

However. I also did try it on a tube amp (preamp as well). Tubes can cut that right out. So you'll squash any sibilance, but likely also cut out some of the bass. Some people may actually like this though - particularly if you think the bass is too much on the 109 pro.

So I'd definitely try the 109 pro on a variety of amps. It really can have a dramatic effect on these headphones.
The ATH-MSR7Bs seems source dependant to me. Oddly, when paired with Lotoo Paw Gold Touch from the balanced output, there's no sibilance. On my Sony NW-WM1Z, there is sibilance.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 1:01 AM Post #581 of 3,451
sssssssssssss
Yea, basically why I hate to call them sibilant...because they really aren't and everyone is going to (for whatever reason) chime in with negative comments and poke fun without even hearing them.

It's not that they are sibilant...it's that they are dynamic (and fun).

And the MSR7B is not the same as MSR7 either.

Ugh, sorry I said anything. Let's keep the word "sibilant" away from these headphones because I'm very sensitive to it and these are far from it.

Sep 28, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #582 of 3,451

The bass part in particular worries me.

One local dealer is willing to order a pair for me to let me try before buying, @Nomax recommendations among the others drives me towards this can.

Which kind of music did you listen on the 109 Pro?

Sep 28, 2022 at 4:28 AM Post #583 of 3,451
I can definitely hear some sibilance (or why someone may feel that way) due to the dynamics on the 109 pro. It's not that bad... I'm comparing this with the Audio Technica MSR7. The MSR7 is wayyy more sibilant and I know even that headphone is debatable among people for being ok or too sibilant.

So sad to hear because the Arya is one of the worse sounding headphones I have ever heard. It’s driver’s ringing phenomenon drove me crazy everytime I had a chance to listen to it. that crap phenomenon also shows in graph as well
https://headphonetestlab.co.uk/media/HIFIMAN/Arya/waterfall_right_HTL_2.svg

Sep 28, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #584 of 3,451
@kRed

The Arya Stealth has much more body in low end and moves much more air in the lower frequencies...no woom woom 👍..but to bright 👎
109 pro.....yes it has less in the low end but not the exxess in the highs as Arya

NOMAX

PS. What does the ear tell you first?
Something bothers me...or I'm missing a little something?
I would take the model where nothing bothers me
800 Euros vs 1800 Euros

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #585 of 3,451

It's the annoying and painful "T" in voices for example, tibilance. Is the "T" called sibilance too? Anyway, that's the issue I had on day one.
DT880+analythical dac/amp+fireworks launcher in GTAV=bleeding ears due to piercing highs. With the 109 it's very silky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back