Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
May 18, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #7,397 of 7,677
Crazy this thread is at nearly 500 pages. So I picked up a set of the 99 Noir. Can't quite put my finger on it, but they feel a little less solid in build compared to the originals.
My OG Classics that I've been rocking for 3.5 years now, still sit snug and firm on my noggin - just the way I like it. The Noir however fits much more loosely, and likes to move around on my head. This also slightly affects the overall sound.
The suspension strap in particular is much loose, which seems to be the issue. I've already bent the headband with little affect. Any other ideas on how to produce a greater clamp force? Is there a way to tighten the suspension strap? The only benefit of this looser strap is that the headphone cups don't want to pull upward on my ears, as they do with the originals.

Jun 15, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #7,398 of 7,677
Does anyone know a place to buy replacement pads for the 99c in Australia? Am reluctant to go with Brainwavz again as the last pads I got didn't last very long. Buying from Meze is also a no go because of the high shipping costs. :frowning2:

Edit: I'd prefer to stay as close as possible to the new original pads (or, even better, the originals) sound wise.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #7,399 of 7,677
Does anyone know a place to buy replacement pads for the 99c in Australia? Am reluctant to go with Brainwavz again as the last pads I got didn't last very long. Buying from Meze is also a no go because of the high shipping costs. :frowning2:

Edit: I'd prefer to stay as close as possible to the new original pads (or, even better, the originals) sound wise.
Are you able to source the Dekoni 99 Classics pads? These will get you about as close to the originals as possible. You could also post a wanted add in the classifieds. I'm sure someone would be willing to ship to Australia.

Jun 16, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #7,400 of 7,677

Maybe you should try the Dekoni pads. I really love them.

Jun 16, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #7,401 of 7,677
The Dekoni pads would be $142.30 CAD landed here in Canada, more than I paid for the 99 Classics. I'll stick with the authentic stock pads from Amazon for $30 CAD with free shipping.

Jun 16, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #7,402 of 7,677
The Meze stock pads in small size get closer to the original pads that came with the 99 Classics when they first were released, and I believe are the same extra pads that come with the 99 Noir.

Jun 17, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #7,403 of 7,677
Speaking of pads, I got a pair of brainwavz velour pads out of curiosity--wanted to try if I could tame the bass and maybe breathe some life into the mids with a pad swap.

This wasn't it, at least. They're very comfy and the red ones look fun, but the added thickness compared to the stock pads (ears are further away from the driver) seems to almost exacerbate the characteristics I don't like. I could get them to sound good enough again via some pretty drastic EQ'ing, but idk if it's worth it. Isolation suffered a lot, too.

Would like to try the dekoni pads, but jesus are they overpriced. Think I'll just go and get a pair of K371s for real and never think about closed-back headphones again if I can avoid it lol.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #7,404 of 7,677
I got these headphones yesterday, the Classics Walnut Gold. I think I'll be returning them.

The biggest issue for me is the comfort. They aren't terrible and they can definitely do 3-4 hour sessions, but I need headphones that I can literally wear all day long and it's just not possible for me with these guys. Even under ideal circumstances (moderate temperature, cool dry air circulating in the room) they start to be quite the bother after a while. I don't think this is a slight on the headphones necessarily, after all, expecting endless comfort isn't really fair. It just depends on what your needs are. Still, even on the very affordable HD569/598CS, Sennheiser put some lovely microsuede pads and I wish Meze had done something similar here.

In terms of sound they are okay. They have a bit of that tinny, honky closed back sound that I also heard on the HD569 and in that way they don't compete with the DT770. It's not nearly as bad as on the HD569 though and you get used to it after a while, but my first impression was an immediate - and I'll put it bluntly - whoah, these don't sound as good as my other headphones. They're also too bassy in my opinion. Now I love bass, for instance my fav headphones are the Fidelio X1's and X2's, and I EQ my DT770's for bass. But the Mezes are next level. Their bass is overbearing and rather lacking in texture and definition. So already I have a comfort issue, a tonal balance issue, a sound quality issue; I'm thinking EQ just isn't gonna be enough to make me like these guys. I also think 300 bucks is too pricey for what you get, although the product is admittedly very nicely packaged and accessorized. Actually, at this price point this is probably one of the most under-performing headphones from a pure sound quality standpoint that I have heard. But I say this WITHOUT wanting to say that they sound bad. They don't sound bad and they can be enjoyed in plenty of cases. For me it's a matter of comparison though - I'm thinking of other headphones that I own or that are out there and then I see the price/performance of the Mezes and I'm just not seeing the appeal. However, there's some things I like about these headphones: they are really dynamic, it actually took me by surprise. I was also impressed with how electric guitars sounded: very powerful and lively with good detail but not too aggressive, they bring that crunch that you want to hear. Treble is actually good - quite smooth and clean.

I think if you are interested in these headphones you will have to be prepared to try out different sorts of pads and that's just not for me. All in all they haven't convinced me to keep them, but perhaps if you are willing to EQ or try out other pads you can get them to sound nicely balanced. Or maybe you just like them as they come, to each their own ofcourse. :)

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2022 at 4:32 AM Post #7,405 of 7,677
In terms of sound they are okay. They have a bit of that tinny, honky closed back sound that I also heard on the HD569 and in that way they don't compete with the DT770.:)

Oof, this rings true for me. You found any other closed-backs that managed to avoid that strange tinniness, other than the DT770s?

Jun 28, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #7,407 of 7,677

I have ordered some Dekoni pads via Addicted to Audio (these are my ‘local’ (Australian) head-fi store).

as the last few posts have mentioned; apparently these are the best to replace to (comfort and close to orig sound sig).
Any feed back from team iFi about the tuning on the Meze ‘tweaked’ Zen Sig..?

(seems like the last four pages are filled with comments confirming ‘bass’ level, and when I read the graph (not on the product on the website -doesn’t have a hyper link that the text is trying to point too..(taken down perhaps?)) the graph made me freak out.. having heard my childs’ Meze99 (briefly) the bass level would not want to be boosted!
Is that graph from a different product (no need to say “we will look into this”; just provide the info when you get it please!)

As noted- replacement pads are worthwhile these have been daily drivers for 30 months.. so natural material Dekonis is justifiable for comfort and quality (and happy to read the sound profile too!).

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #7,409 of 7,677
Bought some 99 Neo's 3 weeks ago, the heavy Bass was an issue, was going to return them but I kept listening, did some minor EQ and now I love them... I love the warm Meze sound.
In my opinion, Meze is the Wharfedale of headphones....

Give Yaxi StPad2 earpads a try... it might help tame down it down.

Jul 12, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #7,410 of 7,677
I listened to these headphones about 2 years ago at a headfi shop in Vegas along with the sennhieser hd650 and the 650s were lacking bass imo, the clarity and technicality was there but I couldn’t stop listening to the classics and enjoyed them allot more. I finally pulled the plug should get em in a day or two, really excited and hope to love them as much as I did then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back