Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jan 29, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #6,811 of 7,677
First I've tried the small pads from Meze and loved them. Then I've tried the Yaxi but didn't like them at all because the sound became to agressive for me, too far from the Meze signature... Now I'm using the Dekoni ones and love them more than the small pads from Meze.

I dig that photo :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 31, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #6,814 of 7,677
I have the smaller pads and they make a considerable difference, i am considering the silver upgrade cable in 3.5mm single ended and wonder if it makes a material difference in single ended mode (all my daps/mojo are single ended).

d

Jan 31, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #6,815 of 7,677
Just picked up a pair of Classics off eBay to replace my XM4’s, which are wasted really given I never travel and don’t really need the portable nature of them.

I’ve also got the ES100 earmarked on Amazon to pick up at some point but might also pick up the iPhone dongle as I’ll mostly be running off my iPhone anyway.

Also have the Yaxi pads on the wish list but I’ll see how the stock pads are first. Then it’s down the rabbit hole of upgrading the cable I guess. I’ve never used balanced headphones/cabling so that could be interesting.

Excited to see how good they are!

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #6,816 of 7,677
I have the smaller pads and they make a considerable difference, i am considering the silver upgrade cable in 3.5mm single ended and wonder if it makes a material difference in single ended mode (all my daps/mojo are single ended).

d
You should really go for the 2.5mm or 4.4mm balanced version of that cable. It makes a huge difference.

I can't speak for the 3.5mm single ended one because I never heard it.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #6,817 of 7,677
Looked up the shipping on the Meze EU site and it’s €20 just to ship to the UK. Kinda puts me off ordering the balanced cable and small pads from there. Especially with Brexit and not knowing if there’ll be import tax to pay on top.

Jan 31, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #6,818 of 7,677
Looked up the shipping on the Meze EU site and it’s €20 just to ship to the UK. Kinda puts me off ordering the balanced cable and small pads from there. Especially with Brexit and not knowing if there’ll be import tax to pay on top.
IKR. It used to be €7 to ship and now €20? Not sure what's going but something is going strange. I can have the choice to ship it by DHL for €25. I chose for the standard shipping of €20 and yet they sent me the shipping confirmation and they used DHL.

Jan 31, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #6,820 of 7,677
I've just ordered the silver cable for my classics. Will be interested to hear the difference. Does anyone know where I can get a good quality 4.4mm to 2.5mm converter in the EU?

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #6,821 of 7,677

d
I have it
You should really go for the 2.5mm or 4.4mm balanced version of that cable. It makes a huge difference.

I can't speak for the 3.5mm single ended one because I never heard it.
Yes you're right I have the silver plated version in 2.5 mm and the difference is huge!!!!

Jan 31, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #6,822 of 7,677
I have it
Yes you're right I have the silver plated version in 2.5 mm and the difference is huge!!!!
I have the 4.4mm version :D

Both 2.5 and 4.4mm are balanced. The difference is that the plug of the 2.5mm is rhodium or sth. Like that and on the 4.4mm one it's gold.

Since my amp has only 4.4mm I went with the 4.4mm one.

But the difference between balanced and single ended should be huge yes

Jan 31, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #6,823 of 7,677
I have it
Can you tell more about the differences? And which source are you using?

Jan 31, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #6,824 of 7,677
Can you tell more about the differences? And which source are you using?
Sound is brighter and less boomy. I use an Ibasso DX160 with Tidal on UAPP or Mango app.

Jan 31, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #6,825 of 7,677
Sound is brighter and less boomy. I use an Ibasso DX160 with Tidal on UAPP or Mango app.
And all only for mobile usage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back