Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jan 6, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #6,106 of 7,677
Hi PopZeus, I see you have the Meze 99 Noir which are indeed the headphones I have decided to go for. What do you think of them in general?

Sorry it took me a few days to reply! Uh, personally I dig the heck out of them because they check a lot of boxes on my list for "portable" cans, and the boxes it doesn't check do not interfere with my listening habits. Sound wise, they're pretty close to ideal with the new original pads. Great clean mids, big slamming bass, relaxed treble. It's a sound profile that plays well in noisy environments, and a wide variety of genres and recordings. They're very efficient cans (more than a bunch of IEMs I own) that sound great from my phone, but scale well with better gear and more power (to a point). Decent soundstage and isolation for a closed-back, certainly in this price range. That said, I get better passive isolation from a good seal with my IEMs. Lastly, they're comfortable, well constructed, and easy to repair.

I honestly don't have much negative to say. Could the metal headband be less microphonic? Would I prefer a slightly more scratch-resistant finish on the wood cups? Yes to both of those, but I don't wear them outdoors and only take them out while in the office, so not a dealbreaker. For me, given that I really enjoy the default tuning, this is one of the best all-round headphones in this price range.

Jan 7, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #6,108 of 7,677
Sorry it took me a few days to reply! Uh, personally I dig the heck out of them because they check a lot of boxes on my list for "portable" cans, and the boxes it doesn't check do not interfere with my listening habits. Sound wise, they're pretty close to ideal with the new original pads. Great clean mids, big slamming bass, relaxed treble. It's a sound profile that plays well in noisy environments, and a wide variety of genres and recordings. They're very efficient cans (more than a bunch of IEMs I own) that sound great from my phone, but scale well with better gear and more power (to a point). Decent soundstage and isolation for a closed-back, certainly in this price range. That said, I get better passive isolation from a good seal with my IEMs. Lastly, they're comfortable, well constructed, and easy to repair.

I honestly don't have much negative to say. Could the metal headband be less microphonic? Would I prefer a slightly more scratch-resistant finish on the wood cups? Yes to both of those, but I don't wear them outdoors and only take them out while in the office, so not a dealbreaker. For me, given that I really enjoy the default tuning, this is one of the best all-round headphones in this price range.

Thanks for your reply, looking forward to mine arriving very soon from Massdrop.

Jan 7, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #6,109 of 7,677
I just got a Meze99 noir. At first i was very disapointed after all my readings about them, i wanted to sold them right away. Bloated bass, clarity on the low side, highs not present. It was until i replaced the big earpads with the smaller ones, that were originally designed for the meze.

The Meze are transfigured with these pads, i could sense they design the headphone to sound with them and not the bigger ones, clearly. I'm so surprised to see how improved they sound with them.

Among all the cans i possesed in the past, hd650, lcd2&3, A well driven He6, Kennerton Odin, and some good iems, i have to admit these are the most fun, enjoyable of the bunch. I can only put them on par with the Odin for the fun factor, i can sense it's a matter of tonality, they just got it so right for the bass department, just like the Odin. Even though it's no contest for the Kennerton monster, its tone is very unique. It's damn accurate even though the quantity of bass is a bit too much at times. The classical music test tells me they are part of those very rare headphones to be able to handle this very tricky genre. How's that even possible ? From my memory, only the He6 got it better.

The mids are silky smooth, clear and perfect, all the magic is there, as well as for the highs, they are surprisingly good for classical music, i think because of the right tonality of the instruments, that are well placed in the soundstage for a close can. The kicks, the attacks are very good, as well as the capacity to handle complex passages. The only con is the sometimes slow decay of the bass, nobody's pefect after all, but they come very very close to me.

I'm just blown away, they managed to put the technicity under the service of pleasure and fun, they aren't showing off like most high ends headphones. They aren't details monster, but i just don't care, for the first time, my attention isn't digging to search the details, they are just present enough for you to enjoy, without any complain of a lack of resolution, i'm bewitched.

And they just cost 200$ and sound at their best with cheap portable dac such as Hifime 9018m2k.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #6,110 of 7,677
I just got a Meze99 noir. At first i was very disapointed after all my readings about them, i wanted to sold them right away. Bloated bass, clarity on the low side, highs not present. It was until i replaced the big earpads with the smaller ones, that were originally designed for the meze.

The Meze are transfigured with these pads, i could sense they design the headphone to sound with them and not the bigger ones, clearly. I'm so surprised to see how improved they sound with them.

Among all the cans i possesed in the past, hd650, lcd2&3, A well driven He6, Kennerton Odin, and some good iems, i have to admit these are the most fun, enjoyable of the bunch. I can only put them on par with the Odin for the fun factor, i can sense it's a matter of tonality, they just got it so right for the bass department, just like the Odin. Even though it's no contest for the Kennerton monster, its tone is very unique. It's damn accurate even though the quantity of bass is a bit too much at times. The classical music test tells me they are part of those very rare headphones to be able to handle this very tricky genre. How's that even possible ? From my memory, only the He6 got it better.

The mids are silky smooth, clear and perfect, all the magic is there, as well as for the highs, they are surprisingly good for classical music, i think because of the right tonality of the instruments, that are well placed in the soundstage for a close can. The kicks, the attacks are very good, as well as the capacity to handle complex passages. The only con is the sometimes slow decay of the bass, nobody's pefect after all, but they come very very close to me.

I'm just blown away, they managed to put the technicity under the service of pleasure and fun, they aren't showing off like most high ends headphones. They aren't details monster, but i just don't care, for the first time, my attention isn't digging to search the details, they are just present enough for you to enjoy, without any complain of a lack of resolution, i'm bewitched.

And they just cost 200$ and sound at their best with cheap portable dac such as Hifime 9018m2k.
I agree with the smaller pads, i bought the meze 99 with the larger pads and found it enjoyable but bloated in the bass and decided to try the smaller pads, a revelation they are now my favourite portable headphones for use with the mojo - not necessarily better but more fun than the oppo pm3 (imo)

Jan 9, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #6,111 of 7,677
Yesterday I tried and bought the Meze 99 Neo. I had and still have an 1More Triple Driver In-Ear and will keep it for gym/run/outdoor use.
Burn-in still needs to be done but so far I'm loving it. Listened details that I never though exists, nice soundstage (more 3Dish while at the in-ear was kinda 2D left and right ), super comfortable. So far I'm happy with the purchase. Hope with the time gets even better! :D I'm using it with DragonFly Black v1.5 while at the PC and use it with amplifier NAD C328.

Jan 10, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #6,114 of 7,677
Have to leave the thead after many lovely times with the Meze. But the Blon B20 is so much superior now as it is half the price of the Sendy

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020 at 1:47 AM Post #6,115 of 7,677
Why are there so many negative comments about the bass, is it swamping the mid and treble and muddying the sound or is just a bit rich?
With the standard cable It's too rich, especially around 250 Hz. But when using eq settings, or their balanced cable (silver plated, no eq. settings more necessary for my ears) it's worth every penny.

Jan 12, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #6,117 of 7,677
Happy owner of the Meze 99 Classics walnut gold and it's very good! Love it but the design is truely very unique. I mean, this is one heck of a eyecatcher!

I see comments about bass. IMO this type of bass is more fun and nicer than other overrated headphones.

Jan 13, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #6,119 of 7,677
Hi guys.

I've bought Meze 99 Neo and I'm so happy with it but there's a little problem. It only includes the 1.2m cable unlike the classic which includes the 3m cable.

I want to use the headphones with my amplifier NAD C328 but for it I need a bigger cable or an extension (which must be compatible with mic jack).

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jan 13, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #6,120 of 7,677
Hi guys.

I've bought Meze 99 Neo and I'm so happy with it but there's a little problem. It only includes the 1.2m cable unlike the classic which includes the 3m cable.

I want to use the headphones with my amplifier NAD C328 but for it I need a bigger cable or an extension (which must be compatible with mic jack).

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Meze webstore got some nice accessories including the cables you need:
https://mezeaudio.eu/collections/accessories/products/99-series-standard-cables

I don't know the official word on this type of cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back