Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Oct 15, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #5,971 of 7,677
How about these? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33001918719.html
Has anyone tried them?

upload_2019-10-15_12-50-43.png

EDIT: there seems to be some QC issues

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #5,973 of 7,677
Can anyone comment how the Meze 99`s sound with the dragonfly red dac amp.
That's exactly how I run these. I personally think this combo is pretty solid. These headphones are so easy to drive so the amp section of the DFR doesn't do a whole heck of a lot for it's performance (still sounds good and gives it a boost) but the DAC is excellent. It just smooths out the sound, gives it tighter bass with a nice treble extension.....better then straight from the phone/home set up or however you run these. I've been using this combo now for a few years but only for portable. Never tried it with my home rig. I'm now running the 99's with the AQ cobalt and personally like the DFR better even though the cobalt is a better unit. The cobalt transforms the sound to a more neutral signature so if that's what you're looking for, that may impact your decision if you're in the market for one of these guys. The Cobalt is a lot more expensive though. It's really up to you but IMO, the DFR is a nice little solution with the 99 classics.

Oct 16, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #5,974 of 7,677
Haven't listened to these in a while. Yaxi pads albeit maybe not the absolute best for comfort are still really good and sound very good. Listening to some Smooth Jazz on Spotify, LDAC to my ES100 balanced.

Oct 30, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #5,975 of 7,677
I'm sorry, I got to post again some more early impressions (actually, I am not sorry DEAL WITH IT!):

First up, my Audeze EL-8 Titanium (part of the 2016 EL-8 line) with my brand new Double Helix Cables Molecule Elite 22 OCC Silver Litz (22AWG) 4-Wire balanced cable (a Complement4 cable in Molecule uniform) is the BEST headphone combination I currently own.

No other headphones I own beat it.

That being said, the Meze Headphones 99 Classics (Walnut Silver) is the SECOND BEST headphones that I have ever had the pleasure of hearing.
They beat my AKG K 712 (with a DHC Prototype Molecule Copper cable) and Heir Audio 4.Ai IEM's (with DHC Molecule SP Symbiote Fusion 8-Wire balanced cable), each of which are detail monsters but neither have the organic richness of the EL-8 Ti with Elite 22 cable, nor are they as musical as the Classics 99.

The EL-8 Ti with Elite 22 cable are a musical transparent window to my music with great thwacking, accurate bass.
The 99 Classics are the fun, clear little brother, but with some treble rolled off and less bass thwacks, yet beautiful nonetheless.

Both the EL-8 Ti and 99 Classics present the entire music frequency as if from one source, one voice. That is utterly amazing.

Not since the KEF Audio M500 or Audeze EL-8 Titanium have I been so moved by sonic awesomness.

This is not bandwagging, bragging, hype, etc. If these were bad I would say it, I would tell Lorand and @MezeTeam. However, sonically, there is so little to fault that I can't in good conscious be truthfully critical. Yes, the treble could be extended, and the bass a tad more hard-hitting, but the actual presentation that the 99 Classics produce is so gobsmackingly good, I don't care. THIS IS MUSIC and it sounds great.

I am being deadly serious, Meze's 99 Classics are something else. They are a reset on what headphones should sound like, and these are dynamic drivers!
They are polite but the right kind of polite. Everyday listening blissful headphones.
That is the best description of the 99 Classics that I can think off.

I am so freaking lucky to own the Audeze EL-8 Titanium and Meze Headphones 99 Classics (Walnut Silver). <3
Thanks for the nice review.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #5,978 of 7,677
i have had the 99 classics for a few weeks and am amazed how differently they sound depending upon the source, the sound fine form the fiio x7/am2 and ibasso dx120 (with adapter cable on short cable) and even better from the mojo and arcam rdac2 - no bloat which was what i was concerned about as i do not like headphones that emphasise the bass too much, however they sounded dreadful from my hybrid x-cans v2 (highly modded) with very loose and prominent bass, whereas the hd650 sound superb with the x-cans.

All this leads me to think the 99 classics do not like valves.

Nov 1, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #5,979 of 7,677
i have had the 99 classics for a few weeks and am amazed how differently they sound depending upon the source, the sound fine form the fiio x7/am2 and ibasso dx120 (with adapter cable on short cable) and even better from the mojo and arcam rdac2 - no bloat which was what i was concerned about as i do not like headphones that emphasise the bass too much, however they sounded dreadful from my hybrid x-cans v2 (highly modded) with very loose and prominent bass, whereas the hd650 sound superb with the x-cans.

All this leads me to think the 99 classics do not like valves.

@magicalmouse,

Subjectively & personally, 99 Classics sound good with valves too, it all depends on source, source quality & tubes involved.

Hope you have a great day !

Nov 2, 2019 at 3:32 AM Post #5,982 of 7,677
Subjectively & personally, 99 Classics sound good with valves too, it all depends on source, source quality & tubes involved.

Hope you have a great day !

Absolutely, i agree it is subjective which is probably why so many dac/amps and headphones exist - i was just giving my opinion in my own limited experience.

all the best

d

Nov 3, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #5,984 of 7,677
Just pulled the trigger on the Massdrop X Meze 99 Noire. This is headphone #9...gotta keep under 10 at a time.

It's a challenge, I know. :D

Nov 3, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #5,985 of 7,677
Just checking back in on one of my favourite headphones. STILL with the pad stuff?
There is 399 pages and I would bet a minimum of 250 pages is by "pad people". Wow. I have been on here for about a decade and have never seen another so dominated by pad talk. Even my beloved Grado's have almost no pad talk, which is impressive considering the dreaded L cushions are actually painful.

Maybe a mod could strip out all the pads nonsense to a separate thread so that us 99 Classic lovers could re-subscribe?

Shane D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back