Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Aug 12, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #5,913 of 7,677
My Sennheiser HD598 sounds very relaxing, detailed and open. But its bass is so soft. I heard that HD 6xx has tigher and deeper bass. Anyway, I like the mid and the bass of Meze 99 very much. It is really fun and musical

Aug 12, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #5,914 of 7,677
Got the Yaxi pads. Not as much depth as my Shure 1540 pads and the inner film is way thinner, almost see through compared to the Shure

Aug 13, 2019 at 12:24 AM Post #5,917 of 7,677
I got a pair of 99s the other day. It took a week for me to settle into the sound but I am loving them now that I have!

Burn-in is both real and vital. Glad you stuck with them and are now loving the sound! :metal::sunglasses:

Aug 13, 2019 at 12:27 AM Post #5,918 of 7,677
I actually got them second hand so I think they were reasonably settled already, however after spending a fair bit of time with my Sennheiser hd250's with modded felt which are quite bright I needed time to adapt :)

They are beautiful and sound wonderful... The only thing I don't love at the moment it the russling the cloth cable sheath makes on my t shirt collars

Aug 13, 2019 at 12:30 AM Post #5,919 of 7,677
They are beautiful and sound wonderful... The only thing I don't love at the moment it the russling the cloth cable sheath makes on my t shirt collars

Oh I know! That's one thing I give props to the 99 Neo for as it's cable is naked and doesn't have that issue. The main reason I made my own cable. My HE-560 is next on the list.

Aug 13, 2019 at 1:58 AM Post #5,921 of 7,677
Do you have the shures on the 99s at the moment? Do you fit them over the whole cup or tuck it in?
Took them off for the Yaxi but I do tuck them into the slit. They fit fine.

How about the sound please?
Need to A/B but seemed to have less subbass rumble (than I prefer/talking 60hz and lower), maybe appears less since mid highs seem to be more apparent probably due to less filter material on the inner of the pads. I don't mind the sound. The Shure pads provide a bit more overall warmth IMO.

I got these used but they had the original pads on them, didn't like them since my ears touched the housing and made it uncomfortable. Both these pads are much better in that regard.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #5,924 of 7,677
Wow, there is still pad talk on Every single page!:hushed:

Anyway, haven't been using my 99's much the last few months due to several new products coming in. I hooked them up to my newest amp today, the LCX, and was VERY impressed. This amp is impressing me more every day. I had forgotten how good these headphones are. The amp has a full sound and is not shy on bass. These headphones, as you know, are also not bass shy. The sound of this combo is, to me, rich, lush and has some boom. Went through my Red Hot Chili's collection. 34 songs consisting of lots of singles and the entire last album. Vocals, guitars and drums all sounded great.
This combo will be the go-to for several days.
20190818_161536.jpg

Chain is Sony ZX300 DAP to SMSL SU-8 DAC balanced out to MassDrop LCX and then balanced cable to my 99's.

So sweet!

Shane D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back