Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jun 2, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #5,701 of 7,677
Do the 99s sound noticeably better using a Dragonfly Red, as opposed to not when playing music from an iPhone 8?
I have the IPHONE 7+ and DFR. Amp wise,
not to big of a difference when compared to using the dongle. But the DAC is pretty good and worth it. I like the combo a lot and it sounds better then straight from the phone even though it has the juice to power them. The 99’s are so easy to drive.

Jun 3, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #5,702 of 7,677
After owning the Maple / Silver 99's for a couple of years, I'm finally back to using them and loving them again. Why? I just had the 2.5mm balanced cable arrive on my desk at work this week!

It's not like I'm a great believer in the difference in SQ between SE / balanced cables (nor will I open a can of worms about copper, silver, or unobtanium...), but it's nice to have a SILENT cable. The original cloth-covered cable would run on my shirt/shoulders like crazy to the point of being unusable. Especially when on-the-go.

It's nice to be enjoying them all over again. The only *slight* quibble I have with them now is the fact that the headbank creaks as it expands/contracts when I walk! As long as I'm sitting down though, I'm fine.

Jun 4, 2019 at 2:37 AM Post #5,703 of 7,677
Introducing my newly acquired Meze Noirs. Though incredibly scratch prone on its surfaces, its sonical qualities more than makes up for it.

NOT.

Just kidding.:o2smile:

A6502376.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #5,706 of 7,677
Jun 6, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #5,707 of 7,677
Eyeballing it, the silver part of the 3.5mm plugs may be a little too wide for the recessed sockets of the Noirs. I use this one and I'm happy. They should have a balanced version...

Thank you very much for the input.
However, I'm not in the US and I haven't seen these cables being sold elsewhere.
I'd definitely be interested in a balanced version if I can source it.

Jun 6, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #5,708 of 7,677
I also own the Vmoda XS as well and upon using it for hours and then switching back to the Noirs, I must say that there’s no question that the Noirs beats it out of the water. The sound is meatier and the vocals more forward. Though the Noirs have bass in spades, overall clarity is still very much present.

The Noirs are probably the best sounding headphones I own at the moment and my personal favorite, scratches and all. :ksc75smile:

Jun 7, 2019 at 2:37 AM Post #5,711 of 7,677
However, I'm not in the US and I haven't seen these cables being sold elsewhere.
I'd definitely be interested in a balanced version if I can source it.

If you're looking for a balanced cable, Meze sells their version from their website, but you'll need to buy a 4.4mm adapter on top of the cable. At least everything is of high quality...

Jun 7, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #5,712 of 7,677
If you're looking for a balanced cable, Meze sells their version from their website, but you'll need to buy a 4.4mm adapter on top of the cable. At least everything is of high quality...
I know but I d rather not use any adapters in the chain plus I don't have any other headphones or iems terminated at 2.5, so buying such adapter to utilise a newly bought balanced cable, doesn't sound right to me.

Jun 7, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #5,713 of 7,677
@Shane D
  1. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sennheiser-HD6XX-HD580-HD600-HD650-HD660s-Audiophile-cable/232809668805
Follow the link above and text to the MavisModz with your request. Length, colour , adaptor, headphone model etc.

I have the 3 different balanced cables from him, for Meze 99, for HD6XX and for HE4XX. The difference in sound quality with es100 is substantial.
How flexible these cables are compared to the stock one?
Which one do you own? The regular OCC or the SP-OCC?

Jun 7, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #5,714 of 7,677
I just agree, 99 Classic are fanstic but when I use them with my Darkvoice they are sooooooooo good!

Interesting...any hum or distortion? I have wanted to acquire both the 99 Classics and the Darkvoice OTL, but did not think they were a good match of impedances, at least on paper. My plan was to either go with the Meze and a JDS Atom solid state amp or the DT880's 600 ohm with the Darkvoice. But if they played together nicely, I would rather pair the Meze and the Darkvoice since they each have such glowing reviews individually.

Jun 7, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #5,715 of 7,677
Interesting...any hum or distortion? I have wanted to acquire both the 99 Classics and the Darkvoice OTL, but did not think they were a good match of impedances, at least on paper. My plan was to either go with the Meze and a JDS Atom solid state amp or the DT880's 600 ohm with the Darkvoice. But if they played together nicely, I would rather pair the Meze and the Darkvoice since they each have such glowing reviews individually.
I have Darkvoice tube amp and Meier solid state amp and I must say that Meze sound better with Darkvoice even if they are low oHm, and no trace of hum or distortion to my ears

Users who are viewing this thread

Back