Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
May 12, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #5,641 of 7,677
Head-Fi, I say this: I WILL NEVER, EVER PAD ROLL AGAIN IN MY LIFE. THE ORIGINAL PADS WILL BE GLUED ONTO MY NEW NOIRS FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER, UNTIL THE FRIGGIN' END OF TIME.

*Breathes.

Never again.

We got the message alright :ksc75smile:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 12, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #5,642 of 7,677
That being said, any idea what life I can expect from the pads if I don't sweat on them and I use them mostly in an air-conditioned room? I do see a bit of oily residue on them when I take them off but I wipe it off every day or so.

May 13, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #5,644 of 7,677
Though MassDrop claims it, does the sound of the Noirs really mimic that of the original Classics from your experience, guys? That is with the larger pads attached on the Noirs. I don't have the Noirs yet and hence my question.

For some reason, I don't think the sound will exactly be the same because of the differences in wood and the disparity in the size of the pads themselves. Unless of course the size of the larger pads are identical? But then again, my assumptions may be dead wrong. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
May 13, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #5,645 of 7,677
Though MassDrop claims it, does the sound of the Noirs really mimic that of the original Classics from your experience, guys? That is with the larger pads attached on the Noirs. I don't have the Noirs yet and hence my question.

For some reason, I don't think the sound will exactly be the same because of the differences in wood and the disparity in the size of the pads themselves. Unless of course the size of the larger pads are identical? But then again, my assumptions may be dead wrong. :ksc75smile:
The larger pads should be exactly the same and the difference between woods shouldn’t be audible, at least I don’t think...

May 13, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #5,646 of 7,677
A6502180-2.JPG

I only have one balanced cable, so I'll doubt I'll ever use the Classics again once the Noir comes to my door. No, I love them. Nothing can really replace them, right? Right? Will the Noirs be as good? I'm driven mad by these bittersweet feelings.

May 13, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #5,647 of 7,677
The larger pads should be exactly the same and the difference between woods shouldn’t be audible, at least I don’t think...

A new finish on the wood wouldn't make any difference, much like painting flames on a car won't make it go faster! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

May 13, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #5,648 of 7,677
I saw a graph that showed a difference between the maple version of the Classics and the Noir, but the woods there are not the same. I wonder if the walnut on the Classics are acoustically different from the walnut used on the Noir.

May 13, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #5,649 of 7,677
I saw a graph that showed a difference between the maple version of the Classics and the Noir, but the woods there are not the same. I wonder if the walnut on the Classics are acoustically different from the walnut used on the Noir.

Can you post a link to the graph?

" The CNC-carved walnut ear cups are fitted with memory foam ear pads wrapped in soft PU leather. "

" But after rounds of testing and community feedback, we realized we had lost a lot of what made the 99 Classics special. In the end, we decided not to change the sound signature at all, so the reviews you see of the 99 Classics are representative of what you’ll hear with the 99 Noir. "

~ Massdrop

May 13, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #5,650 of 7,677
20190513_202800.jpg

New portable setup in the house. DAP is a LG V35 I bought on eBay for $300 in mint condition, best audio bargain ever...other than the Meze Noir at $200! uApp streaming full MQA for about $10 bucks is a great deal also.

Last edited:
May 13, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #5,652 of 7,677
I'd like to do a side by side comparison once I get the Noirs but it will be a bit harder to do with me having only one balanced cable. The cable itself is really easy to detach and reattach, but it won't be as quick than if I had two balanced cables.

I could afford it next week once I get my next paycheck, but I'm still hesitant because I think I've spent enough on audio already. Lol.

May 13, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #5,653 of 7,677
@abirdie4me

My God, the Noirs are so sexy! I can't wait until I get mine!

Last edited:
May 13, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #5,654 of 7,677
Can you post a link to the graph?

" The CNC-carved walnut ear cups are fitted with memory foam ear pads wrapped in soft PU leather. "

" But after rounds of testing and community feedback, we realized we had lost a lot of what made the 99 Classics special. In the end, we decided not to change the sound signature at all, so the reviews you see of the 99 Classics are representative of what you’ll hear with the 99 Noir. "

~ Massdrop

It was in a YouTube review. I think they said it was a maple version. Did they even make a maple version? Maybe they got that detail wrong. I'll have to find the link.

May 13, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #5,655 of 7,677
It was in a YouTube review. I think they said it was a maple version. Did they even make a maple version? Maybe they got that detail wrong. I'll have to find the link.

They DID make a silver/maple version, however it has been discontinued. Are you sure the video wasn't comparing the 99 Classics to the 99 Neo? (still like to see the vid)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back