Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
May 9, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #5,626 of 7,677
I found the isolation with these strange in that they don’t seem to isolate too well when you put them on with no music playing (I could hear everything around me fairly easily) but once the music was playing I couldn’t really hear anything...probably because I had music playing lol. But most closed backs I’ve tried isolate well enough but not completely, especially on planes.

May 9, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #5,627 of 7,677
I found the isolation with these strange in that they don’t seem to isolate too well when you put them on with no music playing (I could hear everything around me fairly easily) but once the music was playing I couldn’t really hear anything...probably because I had music playing lol. But most closed backs I’ve tried isolate well enough but not completely, especially on planes.
That’s a pretty accurate statement. I have other cans that I can easily hear what’s going on around me when the music is playing as long as I’m not at 150 dB. Lol.
Otherwise, you’re right, these isolate ok but does anyone really wear these as a head dress fashion statement not listening to music? If not, they’re pretty good for isolation.

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #5,628 of 7,677
I just ordered the Noirs on MassDrop, so in preparation of pad rolling and switching to the smaller pads on the Noirs when I do get them, I decided to practice on the Classics first. I slipped off one of the pads and that was a cake walk. Putting the pads back on though is a friggin' pain. In fact I think in my mostly futile attempts of putting them on, the black cloth obscuring the drivers slipped, exposing a bit of the driver. I managed to put the pads back on, but as I said before, a portion of the driver is exposed because the friggin cloth that supposed to cover them is misaligned.

Head-Fi, I say this: I WILL NEVER, EVER PAD ROLL AGAIN IN MY LIFE. THE ORIGINAL PADS WILL BE GLUED ONTO MY NEW NOIRS FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER, UNTIL THE FRIGGIN' END OF TIME.

*Breathes.

Never again.

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #5,629 of 7,677
So I tried pad rolling a second time, and it's not so bad, I guess. So much for my promise of never doing it again. Lol. I just hope the smaller pads for the Noirs are just as durable as the ones for the Classics.

Goodness gracious.

May 9, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #5,632 of 7,677
Bruh that was like 14 minutes

The second time took less than 5 minutes for both sides. I swear! :beyersmile:

The first time, though.... Unbearable. I still cringe from the memory of it. Lol.

May 10, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #5,633 of 7,677
So I tried pad rolling a second time, and it's not so bad, I guess. So much for my promise of never doing it again. Lol. I just hope the smaller pads for the Noirs are just as durable as the ones for the Classics.

Goodness gracious.
Like any other skill it takes practice. 1st time it took me like 10 mins. 50 swaps later I can do it in my sleep :)
That being said I would've liked the channel a little wider, so you can fit pads that don't have the thin plastic insert.

May 10, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #5,634 of 7,677
Hello. I know we have members from around the world here, but I wanted to try speak to a much narrower group of readers. I am located in Halifax, Nova Scotia in Canada. I came across a thread where a Head-Fi'er had wondered about organizing a get together in Halifax. I wanted to post in this thread and talk to anybody that lives in or around Halifax or even if you were planning to visit the area in June. Just food for thought. If anyone is interested, you could post a reply in https://www.head-fi.org/threads/halifax-ns-meetup-2019.905499/

It would be cool if we could find five or six people with a few cool toys each. It could be a very interesting afternoon or evening.

Shane D

May 10, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #5,635 of 7,677
No problem! Similar to you, I've found that EQ works best when the adjustments are minimal. If I have to mess around with every band, it means that the headphones probably aren't for me.

I never use EQ, but your setting did the trick and made these ‘phones more than listenable to me, after not using them for a year. Thanks!

May 10, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #5,636 of 7,677
I never use EQ, but your setting did the trick and made these ‘phones more than listenable to me, after not using them for a year. Thanks!

Yer welcome! Tbh, when a really thin recording comes on, like Faith No More's The Real Thing, I'll turn off the EQ. That boost in the mid-bass range helps round out a lot of '90s recordings specifically. Otherwise, I always leave the EQ on.

May 11, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #5,637 of 7,677
The $50 Meze balanced cable is compatible with the new MassDrop Noirs, right? How about the pads on the Classics as well? Are they interchangeable with the Noirs or do the Noirs have different sized cups, meaning they won't match? I see that Meze is selling the smaller hole pads on their site, but is that compatible with the Noirs as well?

I ask just in case I accidentally rip the Noirs' to oblivion with my clumsy pad exchanges. It's just inevitable, guys. :ksc75smile:

May 11, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #5,638 of 7,677
The $50 Meze balanced cable is compatible with the new MassDrop Noirs, right? How about the pads on the Classics as well? Are they interchangeable with the Noirs or do the Noirs have different sized cups, meaning they won't match? I see that Meze is selling the smaller hole pads on their site, but is that compatible with the Noirs as well?

I ask just in case I accidentally rip the Noirs' to oblivion with my clumsy pad exchanges. It's just inevitable, guys. :ksc75smile:

Anything for the Classics will work just fine with the Noirs. They are the same headphone, just different colours.

May 11, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #5,639 of 7,677
These really are the perfect DAP headphone. Easy to drive but scales with better sources. Responds well to EQ (and in fact might be necessary to get the best out of them). Bass boosted tuning is naturally helpful for noisy city or mechanical environments. A cozy fit but still comfortable and not too bulky for an over-ear design. The headband's a bit noisy and I worry about the walnut cups long-term, but I am overall in love with the design of the Noir.

May 12, 2019 at 3:51 AM Post #5,640 of 7,677
These really are the perfect DAP headphone. Easy to drive but scales with better sources. Responds well to EQ (and in fact might be necessary to get the best out of them). Bass boosted tuning is naturally helpful for noisy city or mechanical environments. A cozy fit but still comfortable and not too bulky for an over-ear design. The headband's a bit noisy and I worry about the walnut cups long-term, but I am overall in love with the design of the Noir.

The Bass boost really does help in noisy environments, making them sound more balanced lol. Some said that you can't really wear them while walking because of the headband design, I have no issues with that. They look so sleek that I just want to wear them outside. Also, I wouldn't worry about the wood. Maybe scratches, yes, which will make them unique hehe. But I don't see them breaking any soon, it's really thick wood. Heck, the wood is thicker and more durable than the wood on the Denon D7200, but they are not meant to be worn outside anyway so.. I generally dropped the Denon's from a height of about 30 cm and the wood just cracked on one side. Kind of broke my heart but thankfully I was able to return them.

Also, gosh, the Noire design is just so nice... they look so sleek and modern, also kind of unexciting at first glance, but looking closer, seeing the wood and spring steel design they just still look kind of expensive in a good way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back