Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
May 8, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #5,611 of 7,677
Yeah. Acoustic sound is the description I was looking for! :) I feel you a lot though; I'm also really weird when it comes keeping/selling headphones. I was super euphoric about getting some really decent In-Ears, got them, handmade to order, thought I'd never wear over ears again. I was happy for while, realized that over-ears kind of have thicker bass and a wider sound image (usually), so I just sold them again and got over ears. Somehow I just also couldn't justify keeping in-ears and over-ears at the same time, even though they both have their use cases. :D Oh well... as long as we enjoy ourselves.
Also makes it harder with a significant other. The question would come...”why do you have three headphones!?” Im protecting myself lol.

May 8, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #5,612 of 7,677
I think having an in-ear and an over-ear is more convenient than having 2 over-ears. But yes, enjoyment is most important with headphones.

Definitely true for most people, but I kind of don't like to put things into my ear anymore, especially when super portable headphones like the Meze's exist. But that is really just me.. maybe someday in the future I'll get some really decent IEM's again as a nice alternative. I would love the own the Massdrop Noble with the 12 drivers per side, but they are kind of expensive, although surely the sound is mind-blowing judging by all the stellar reviews they received so far.

May 8, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #5,613 of 7,677
Also makes it harder with a significant other. The question would come...”why do you have three headphones!?” Im protecting myself lol.

Hehe... I think I literally have no coworker which hasn't asked me that question before since they also see me cycling through headphones like it's underwear. In a short amount of time I owned so many different headphones (prob about 20 in 2-3 months) until I settled with the Meze's and Sennheiser HD660s (which I may sell soon though to maybe get the 177x LOL).

I'm literally just happy that the Meze's fit my preferences so well.. they are the kind of just-put-on-and-listen-to-goddamn-music-without-anaylzing-all-the-technicalities headphones. :)

Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #5,614 of 7,677
Hehe... I think I literally have no coworker which hasn't asked me that question before since they also see me cycling through headphones like it's underwear. In a short amount of time I owned so many different headphones (prob about 20 in 2-3 months) until I settled with the Meze's and Sennheiser HD660s (which I may sell soon though to maybe get the 177x LOL).

I'm literally just happy that the Meze's fit my preferences so well.. they are the kind of just-put-on-and-listen-to-goddamn-music-without-anaylzing-all-the-technicalities headphones. :)
Yup...they just sound pleasing!

May 8, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #5,615 of 7,677
I don’t feel too great about it but I’m selling my Noir so I can get the 177X as this headphone seems very promising and the pre-order price is tempting. I will miss my short time with them, but I just can’t justify keeping both :/ a small part of me is hoping I’ll dislike the 177X so I can get the Noir again lol. At the same time I have a feeling the 177X could be one of the best price/performance closed headphones so I really want to hear it. Why did Massdrop have to release the 177X the same day I ordered my Noir?

For me personally, I feel like if I had a specific reason to use the 177X, then I'd get it. I've found that I'm not that interested in super neutral cans in my personal listening sessions, even if they might ace the technical categories. I used to own the PM-3, and while it was a very high quality portable set of over-ears, the tuning was relaxed neutral to me. Eventually, I got bored and sold them. If I was doing a lot of video or audio production, then I'd definitely invest in the 177X because they seem incredibly useful in that scenario. But absent a job, I'm going to focus on music listening enjoyment.

But others definitely get more listening joy from neutrality. I hope you dig the 177X! They certainly look very swank and comfortable to wear. Also kudos to MD for making them compatible with balanced outs.

Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #5,616 of 7,677
For me personally, I feel like if I had a specific reason to use the 177X, then I'd get it. I've found that I'm not that interested in super neutral cans in my personal listening sessions, even if they might ace the technical categories. I used to own the PM-3, and while it was a very high quality portable set of over-ears, the tuning was relaxed neutral to me. Eventually, I got bored and sold them. If I was doing a lot of video or audio production, then I'd definitely invest in the 177X because they seem incredibly useful in that scenario. But absent a job, I'm going to focus on music listening enjoyment.

But others definitely get more listening joy from neutrality. I hope you dig the 177X! They certainly look very swank and comfortable to wear. Also kudos to MD for making them compatible with balanced outs.
I’ve seen some reviews say the 1770 was great for both music and production because of its dynamics so I’m hoping I feel the same. I had a discussion on here with someone who heard the 177X, and I mentioned I didn’t like the DT770; he also said the 177X sounded much more refined and didn’t like the 770 as well. So that kind of gave me some confidence. I’m one who likes to enjoy their music, but also with the transparency to get a good idea of how it’s supposed to sound. And at that price...I have a feeling I’d regret it if I didn’t jump now.

My Meze sold on eBay moments ago. Sad to let them go, but I enjoyed my time with them and it’s good knowing I can always get them again if I really want, and knowing what they sounded like so I have experience. I just didn’t have the right timing (if I had waited just one day later I probably would have held off and eventually ordered the 177X instead)

May 8, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #5,617 of 7,677
Anyone use these on an airplane? Do they block enough noise for that?

May 9, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #5,619 of 7,677
I feel like your best options in that price range happen to all be Massdrop (or now DROP) variants. Obviously the Meze 99 Noir, the upcoming Beyerdynamic DT177X GO (which hasn't been released yet, but supposedly hits close to reference neutrality), or the semi-closed Fostex TR-X00 for a big V-shaped sound. The AFC is a bit V-shaped too (from what I've read), but probably not as much as the Fostex.

In the more mainstream brands, there's always the Beoplay H6, but you can't run them balanced like you can with these other headphones.

Thanks man. I think I'll go with Meze 99 Noir from Massdrop. I have the HD 58X and enjoy them immensely. Aaprt from the fact that one is open and one is closed, have anyone heard both? How do they compare?

May 9, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #5,620 of 7,677
Thanks man. I think I'll go with Meze 99 Noir from Massdrop. I have the HD 58X and enjoy them immensely. Aaprt from the fact that one is open and one is closed, have anyone heard both? How do they compare?
I own both. Different headphones, but both great. If you have any specific questions, let me know.

May 9, 2019 at 5:09 AM Post #5,621 of 7,677
Has anyone ordered the new "little" pads from Meze's page?

I think I'll order them today, although I see that the estimated arrival date is long, but I may be curious.

Also, they have lowered the shipping costs to 7 euros in Europe. It used to be 20 euros, crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back