Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Apr 25, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #5,551 of 7,677
Nobody use cotton mod? Cotton make up circle in headphones caps!
I do. See my post from a few pages ago. I place it behind and around the foam damper that is already in the cups. To my hearing with the big pads it makes the highs a little sparklier, but has no effect on bass sadly. Strangely, I can't hear any difference with the small pads.

Apr 25, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #5,555 of 7,677
@Mhog55 you were totally right...guitars sound phenomenal through this headphone. Meaty, crunchy and clear, and dirty when they need to be!

We can easily agree with this. 'Meat' is the right word to descripe what's in them.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 25, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #5,556 of 7,677
Yes, indeed, I am loving these...pretty certain these would be dethroning my current office headphone, for those very reasons. And the bass, I feel is not as intrusive as it was the first few days. It’s not quite as tight as the H6 but it’s close, and the quantity is better. I think what keeps it from sounding too messy is that the subbass isn’t boosted. And the mids, of course, are great. Much better than the H6.

I did try something though last night, while testing tracks between the two; my Fiio has a bass boost, which I tried a few times before but never really used it other than experimenting those few times; something about a bass boost switch feels like you’re artificially boosting a frequency, like it’s not as authentic. Sorry if that doesn’t make sense. Anyway I applied it on my H6 during testing.

This boost on my H6 actually brought vocals closer to the tonality of the 99, and brought the bass to a similar level, but I don’t think it provided the same sense of dynamics, power, or crunch of the 99. It also seems to have masked the rest of the mids, or made them not as distinct. They also sound a little less tight and more cloudy, possibly because it boosts the subbass too. I’ll have to keep experimenting with this to see how close it really is. Either way, my 99 Noir did come across as a little muddy on some tracks but it didn’t sound like it was due to bass; more like the treble wasn’t as clear and the stage wasn’t as wide so it felt more congested.

Right now, in my mind:

99 Noir: Natural, full, punchy, stuffy
H6: Neutral, thin, light, airy

Trade-offs there are, yes, as expected. But the Meze is coming along. Maybe a balanced cable would help give the sound more room to breathe. Few more days to a week of comparing and hopefully I’ll come to a decision of which one to make my daily driver. One thing I know, is I like both so much I’ll probable keep both!

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #5,557 of 7,677
yeah the $50 balanced cable is fantastic and the Noir plus the cable is still cheaper than regular 99 Classics

Apr 27, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #5,560 of 7,677
I did some pad swapping this morning, a little bit interested in what I heard. Unfortunately I found it kind of difficult to test back and forth due to having to stop to swap the pads over, but initial listening impressions indicated to me that the extra, smaller hole pads seem to actually have a little bit more bass (at least mid bass) than the larger hole pads, however it seemed that the bass in the larger hole pads were in fact more boomy, bass notes lingered a little longer it seemed and bass notes were not as detailed to my ear, nor as tight, possibly because there was more upper bass? The smaller hole pads I thought had slightly more lower midrange presence, and also slightly less treble presence. The larger hole pads seemed to sound a little clearer in the mids and treble, possibly due to an also larger soundstage that the larger pads seem to give.

Also interestingly enough I find the smaller pads to be more comfortable lol.

I don’t think the difference between the two is that large but it is noticeable that there is a difference. I’m sticking with the smaller hole pads for now but I might switch back to the larger ones tomorrow where I should have more time to listen.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #5,563 of 7,677
Interesting, thanks.
For myself, I'm not quite sure I'd describe the 99s as stuffy. I also don't have the Noir version.
For me -
Both headphones are full bodied, but the 99 is more forward and aggressive. The H6 is just a softer, lighter full with a greater sense of air.
99s have an attack type of presentation. The H6 is more of a decay type of presentation. Mids are a little further back with the H6, where they are front and center with the 99s. All of that being said, both cans make great all purpose headphones for most genres. It's just a matter of deciding which suits the individuals desires best.

Apr 28, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #5,564 of 7,677
Does anyone know if the Classics and Noir use the exact same type of wood, properties such as density, etc? Looking at my Classics and pics of the Noir, wood patterns seem greatly different. Just curious as this could certainly make a difference in the overall sound presentation.

Apr 28, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #5,565 of 7,677
Though the finish is totally different, the Classics and Noir both use walnut for their cups. As with any natural material, sourcing matters. They may not be from the same supplier. And if reducing shipping costs are how they can offer the Noir for $100 less, then they’re probably using a local (Chinese) supplier for the wood. That said, I don’t know how different in reality they would be from one another. People have remarked that the Classics are not heavy, and neither are the Noir, so if there was a density difference in the wood, the Noir would be even lighter in grams. Quality control might see to it that they’re not acoustically distinguishable. It’s something to ask Massdrop directly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back