Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Apr 21, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #5,521 of 7,677
You have a balanced option and haven't used it? What do you drive your Senns with? If using your dap, I'd make a balanced cable for those a priority before the Noir.
I actually use a Magni 3 with the Senns, since I only really use my HD6XX at my bed anyway so it's stationary. Yes, the Fiio does not power the Senns well at all lol, I did try before. Even on high gain it still doesn't get loud enough on some of my music.

Apr 21, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #5,522 of 7,677
I actually use a Magni 3 with the Senns, since I only really use my HD6XX at my bed anyway so it's stationary. Yes, the Fiio does not power the Senns well at all lol, I did try before. Even on high gain it still doesn't get loud enough on some of my music.
Check the power difference between the 3.5 and 2.5. You never know ...

Apr 22, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #5,523 of 7,677
You know you must love a headphone if you miss them after being away from them for a few hours lol :)

Anyway, it seems the Meze balanced cable is pretty well regarded? What differences does it make to the sound and how big is the difference? (I’m talking about the standard one which is currently $50 (half off) but also out of stock). I might buy it at some point though I’m a bit surprised at myself for wanting to spend $50 on a cable lol.

I found that it pushed the Soundstage back a bit... More like row 20 than 2, which I prefer and that imaging increased in precision... I didn't do a true a/b but consistently noticed the same thing, especially when listening to Broadway soundtracks (yeah, I do)...

I usually listen through radsone es100 and use the equalizer to back off the bass a bit, which seems to me to bleed into the lower midrange and muffle the Soundstage... But I love them with the eq - and hope the rumors are true about the new 'old' pads.

I also listen through a schitt vali 2 - which is a little more 'vibrant' imo than the radsone (depending on tube)

I also own the Hd6xx, but listen mostly to the 99's

Apr 23, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #5,524 of 7,677
I found that it pushed the Soundstage back a bit... More like row 20 than 2, which I prefer and that imaging increased in precision... I didn't do a true a/b but consistently noticed the same thing, especially when listening to Broadway soundtracks (yeah, I do)...

I usually listen through radsone es100 and use the equalizer to back off the bass a bit, which seems to me to bleed into the lower midrange and muffle the Soundstage... But I love them with the eq - and hope the rumors are true about the new 'old' pads.

I also listen through a schitt vali 2 - which is a little more 'vibrant' imo than the radsone (depending on tube)

I also own the Hd6xx, but listen mostly to the 99's
I like the sound of these with the new old pads a lot; I still find they can be rather bassy but I’m noticing it’s more of an issue on modern mastered music with a lot of bass (in some ways it’s fun, in others it is a bit much). I love just about everything else they do though. On music without much bass emphasis these give just enough to provide its warm presentation. Haven’t run into very many issues with jazz which is a good sign.

I’m still hoping someone with both the Noirs and the original first pad Classics will chime in and provide some comparisons. Measurements between the originals and these new ones actually look quite different.

Apr 23, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #5,525 of 7,677
I like the sound of these with the new old pads a lot; I still find they can be rather bassy but I’m noticing it’s more of an issue on modern mastered music with a lot of bass (in some ways it’s fun, in others it is a bit much). I love just about everything else they do though. On music without much bass emphasis these give just enough to provide its warm presentation. Haven’t run into very many issues with jazz which is a good sign.

I’m still hoping someone with both the Noirs and the original first pad Classics will chime in and provide some comparisons. Measurements between the originals and these new ones actually look quite different.

Wait until the pads have broken in. The bass will tame.

Apr 23, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #5,527 of 7,677
Ok I figured out a way to combine the comfort of the "stock" pads with the more balanced sound of the "new original" pads. Figured if the "originals" are actually 1mm thicker than the "stocks", the foam in the former must be a little too soft.
Since both pads are so easy to take apart, I took the stiff foam from the "stocks" and replaced the soft foam in the "originals". The foam rings are actually the same size so with a bit of fiddling it's not hard to do.
To my hearing the sound sig stayed the same but now my ears don't get squished inside the pad. They still slightly touch the mesh but they also did it with the unmodded "stock" pads.

Apr 23, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #5,530 of 7,677
I find I prefer the sound of the 99's... They are also slightly more comfortable, but that isn't much of an issue for me

How does the soundstage compare to the HD6xx?
I also own the HD6xx. Actually my kids do as I couldn't get past the soundstage.
Tone of the HD6xx was great. Soundstage meh! which killed them for me.

Apr 24, 2019 at 5:30 AM Post #5,531 of 7,677
I received my Noirs this morning (glad they came in the morning so I can spend the whole day with them :) )Very early first impressions...

I immediately swapped out the pads that came on them with the extra set. They are comfortable to me. Actually I redact my first statement, I did briefly put them on my head with the stock pads just to see how they felt. They do look nice and smaller in person which is nice. And I like the way the headband adjusts automatically.

Sound, through my Q1 Mk II...I think these really sound great, even after just an hour. I can tell these fit a little better into my sonic preferences, I think. The bass is a little bit strong I feel but it still sounds pretty well balanced to me. Only on the bassiest tracks it sounds like too much and muddy. I do also detect a bit of bleed into the mids but just a bit, and also a bit of subbass rolloff. I love the midrange though. Vocals, guitars, electric pianos and keyboards all sound fantastic. Now I can tell the H6 was lacking a bit there. Everything just sounds fuller which is a big plus. The treble also sounds very nice but I think I prefer the H6 treble as it has more air that I like; when I put the H6 on right after the Meze it feels like a veil has been removed. But then the H6 doesn't have the same body or thickness so there's that, and the treble can also sound a little more fatiguing on the H6. The Meze also sounds more intimate and closed in. So I guess to summarize I really like what I hear so far. Burn in will probably make things even better later on. More rich and full than the H6, better mids, more natural sound, but lacking a little more in extension both ways and soundstage. I guess the H6 might have more detail in the treble than the Meze but I haven't really been able to tell as the Meze still brings out details well. I will try to compare more throughout the week, but the Meze 99 Noir sounds great. I will have to experiment with the larger pads at some point because I am curious to hear what they sound like.

Can you test the new pads against the standard pads, please ?

Apr 24, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #5,533 of 7,677
IMG_20190402_000926.jpg
Screenshot_20190424-213439.png
IMG_20190401_235325.jpg
Hi.
1) does anyone use cotton mod? When you put some cotton pads inside the cups?
2) does second pair of pads that came with NOIR is actually same as original first pads in old meze 99 classics . Does it is or not?

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #5,534 of 7,677
Hi.
1) does anyone use cotton mod? When you put some cotton pads inside the cups?
2) does second pair of pads that came with NOIR is actually same as original first pads in old meze 99 classics . Does it is or not?
2. I think we’re still trying to figure that out. I haven’t seen any posts from anyone who may own both the original Classics and the Noir. I think their are slight differences in its construction but I don’t know how close they are in sound. Perhaps it’s not close because the Noir with the extra pads measures differently from the original Classics...

Apr 24, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #5,535 of 7,677
I would imagine that the construction between the Classics and the Noir are similar, if only because both headphones are supposed to share basically the same parts list, and any broken/worn parts can be replaced by the end user.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back