Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Apr 18, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #3,871 of 7,677
Has anyone tried these balanced cables from ebay?
Cable with 2.5mm Trrs Balanced Male for Meze 99 Classics / Focal Elear headphone

upload_2018-4-18_11-39-9.png

Apr 18, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #3,872 of 7,677
Apr 18, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #3,873 of 7,677
Saw that but didn't want to risk something from China that won't actually work
Has that been your experience with stuff from China? I have seldom had any problems regarding anything. Cables included.

Apr 18, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #3,875 of 7,677
Has that been your experience with stuff from China? I have seldom had any problems regarding anything. Cables included.
More so bc I'm not sure I trust they actually will fill the opening in the Meze which is not a normal opening. It's hard to judge by the picture. That's just something I rather not risk esp when it would take so long to receive and if it doesn't work I'd have to see about shipping back. It may work beautifully though.

In less time but for about double the price I will have a quality silver cable that I know works 100%. Plus if anything happens with it I can easily have it repaired, which is another reason I now go with David @ Triton Audio

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #3,877 of 7,677
@Lurk650 is Groton Audio local NorCal company? Shipping often skews cable pricing. Thanks in advance.
He's in Bellevue, Washington. He doesn't charge for shipping and he does give HF member discounts, he is @alpha421 on here. Contacting him for what you are interested in is awesome because he can exactly tailor the cable to what you want

Apr 20, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #3,878 of 7,677
EDIT: Order finally shipped after 3 days. They state 1-2 days. I did order late on the 17th so I guess it was 2 days lol. Amazon shipping has truly spoiled me.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #3,879 of 7,677
I've had these for a while and now can tell you... They are great for office, walks and business trips. They sound engaging even from iPhone and have a short cable with a mic and stop/answer the call button that is so great to have. Though this mic is of a pretty poor quality, it helps a lot.

I don't think I'd have these as the only pair for home and office use as I really love the fostex sound at home. But they are a steal for the price, they may give you all dat bass and they look gorgeous. 5 of 5 wooden cups, meze.

Apr 21, 2018 at 5:24 AM Post #3,880 of 7,677
Hi, guys. I have, among others, the Meze 99 classics (I love them) and I am thinking of buying the Meze 12 for the street.

For this porpose I have the Shure SE215. Are the Meze 12 worth having? Better, worse than these? A greeting.

Apr 21, 2018 at 6:45 AM Post #3,881 of 7,677
I have no clue about the Shure and how they compare. But I bought at 170£ the momemtum free (Bluetooth) in ear as a present to my wife and after I brief comparison classics 12 is so much better to me with the memory foam tip.

The treble could be a bit better. The bass is very good and it is a very fun and musical as is typical for every Meze product.

But in noisy places does not show the full potential because to my ears with this memory tip does not isolated enough. It sounds good but not so good as when it is quiet at home.

Do not expect Meze 99 classics or Neo sound but at this price is excellent for the gym or a sunny day like today in London. With the 99 Neo my ears sweat a lot I am not sure I can use it in summer outside. So expectations must be reasonable.

I got it on offer commbined with my 99 classics and I was not sure how much I should count that I paid for my 99 classics. Now I know. I am subtracting 69£ because they deserve every penny. Only think because it was on offer I could not choose the black colour which is the one that I really like.

Apr 21, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #3,882 of 7,677
Anyone find something in a closed back they considered an upgrade the 99C?

Apr 21, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #3,883 of 7,677
Yes, the 99 classics with new pads and balanced cable.
In all seriousness, for the money, these are hard to beat but it’s all subjective of course and really should go without saying by this time.

You could try the TH-X00 Purplehearts (or any TH-X variants) with driver dampening ONLY from Lawton audio with Ori pads. Will be about $550 total and to me a clear upgrade without breaking the bank.
But the classics TO ME are one of the best bang for the buck and I’d pay even more.

Surprisingly they scale up well on my home system and enjoy them A LOT. It took me by surprise how well they sounded with Mjolnir2/Gumby gen5 as these are my portable with Oppo HA-2 or DFR
W/IPhone 7+.

Apr 21, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #3,884 of 7,677
Yes, the 99 classics with new pads and balanced cable.
In all seriousness, for the money, these are hard to beat but it’s all subjective of course and really should go without saying by this time.

You could try the TH-X00 Purplehearts (or any TH-X variants) with driver dampening ONLY from Lawton audio with Ori pads. Will be about $550 total and to me a clear upgrade without breaking the bank.
But the classics TO ME are one of the best bang for the buck and I’d pay even more.

Surprisingly they scale up well on my home system and enjoy them A LOT. It took me by surprise how well they sounded with Mjolnir2/Gumby gen5 as these are my portable with Oppo HA-2 or DFR
W/IPhone 7+.
How Meze are in comparison to NO in sound quality and isolation?

Apr 21, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #3,885 of 7,677
I had a Neo and currently a CA Cascade. I think the Cascade has a more controlled bass and better mids. Comfort wise though, the Neo was much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back