Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Feb 12, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #3,692 of 7,677
I already have the classics which I love, as they sound great straight out of my daps or even phone. Just wondering what the sound signature of the neos was in comparison. Thanks

Feb 12, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #3,693 of 7,677
Just wondering what the sound signature of the neos was in comparison. Thanks
The Neo has slightly less treble, just the right amount for me, the Classic could occasionally get harsh up there. There are times it could use a bit more detail but I'd rather fault on the smoothness side of things. The mids on the Classic are more dry, there is much more animated sound spatiality in the Neo mids. It can have occasional resonance especially in the lower mids, while that also isn't perfect, it allows incredible spaciousness, better than any closed I've heard. Stunning realism, nothing distant or pulled back, especially all important vocals. It seems if a headphone isn't scooped sounding, you will have mids it could sometimes get resonant with, but done right as this does, it's rare. The low mids and high bass is similar, with a bit more of a bothersome bump on the Classic. The subs are similar. Their Classics have a bite more, but the Neo are not lacking at all. If you do end up getting the Neo and your ears are normal in how they stick out, and they will touch the insides a lot, you may have their 2nd generation pads. The most recent (3rd, 4th?) generation of ear pads have mine only rarely touching, in one side. That is my take on these.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #3,694 of 7,677
I already have the classics which I love, as they sound great straight out of my daps or even phone. Just wondering what the sound signature of the neos was in comparison. Thanks
I don’t think there will be much of a difference if you know you like the “Meze sound” already. I think you will be happy with both!

I was listening to them out of the Questyle 400i and nothing was shouting out at me. I would like to do more extensive work with the 2, probably after I get back from NY. Our Neo demo unit is new so I would also like it to be burned in to make things fair. Not sure Meze’s standpoint on that.

Feb 18, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #3,697 of 7,677
I just ordered a SMSL iDea DAC that will now accompany my Meze 99 Classics.
Does anyone know how they're doing together?
On paper I think it will be good, because the Meze are a bit dark and sure to feel good with a little of extra brightness.

Feb 19, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #3,699 of 7,677
I have also a pads related question and I would be thankful to anyone that can provide some information if possible. I have received
IMG_20180218_103237098.jpg
few days ago both a new 99 neo (Amazon UK) and a 99 classic(from Romania). It seems to me a small difference on the pads size between these two models. Can someone from the picture attached offer an opinion which headphone wears which pads version exactly?

The pads on Neo seem more oval to me and slightly bigger and the pads on Classic more rounded. The Neo seems more comfortable in comparison between the two although classic is also already very comfortable to me. Many thanks in advance for any possible answer.

Feb 19, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #3,700 of 7,677
So.. have caught myself looking at the new Audeze LCD-2C.. some super reviews.

Not heard them though, so.. Anyone able to make a meaningful comparison between the new LCD-2C, the Meze 99C and the HD650s? (I have both the 99c and 650s, and don't propose parting with either, just considering adding the Audeze into the mix!) :)

I have a pair of HA-200 balanced monoblock headphone amps, fed from an Audiolab M-Dac+, so power shouldn't be an issue. Alternative system is Naim.

All comment welcome, before I head to the HiFi show in Bristol on Friday!

Feb 19, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #3,701 of 7,677
I have also a pads related question and I would be thankful to anyone that can provide some information if possible. It seems to me a small difference on the pads size between these two models. Can someone from the picture attached offer an opinion which headphone wears which pads version exactly?
There have been three, maybe four revisions. The first generation on the test version sent around and early released Classic were smaller and less deep. The sound was great but lacked low extension to sub areas, and had cleaner low mids, high bass. The next revision was larger deeper pads. It seems a third came out and based on how old the stock is, you may get one or the other on both Classics, or Neos. I had the 2nd I think on the Neo I bought that were similar to the Neo I tested and probably gen 2 or 3. I bought new classics with probably gen 3 or 4 AND a spare set of new pads directly. Those in my estimation were gen 3 or 4 (ie. whatever the latest generation is). I put one pair on my Sony MDR-1A that turned them into my second favorite cans behind the Neo. I swapped the pads on the Classic with my Neo and noticed my ear no longer consistently touched the drivers as they did on what I think is that middle generation, and the sound cleaned up and made the Neo the most enjoyable sounding cans in my collection. Smoother highs than the Classic with the same pads, 3D midrange that occasionally gets a bit resonant, but is worth it for the natural spaciousness there unlike any headphone, that I've heard. The sub bass stayed great, but the mid bass seemed a touch more controlled. The mids on the Classic with their newer and best pads were a bit too dry for my taste, and mid bass too bloomy.

Feb 20, 2018 at 2:52 AM Post #3,702 of 7,677
I have just received my Meze 99 Classics. I think the pad controversy might have been blown out of proportion. I don’t hear anything wrong with these. The bass is not masking anything, not bloted, not too much like people have been saying. Overall I think the sound is just right, nothing strikes me as wrong or hurting neither in upper mids nor treble.
On the other hand, my ears do touch the drivers, right ear more so. If it starts hurting I will s
do an update. I don’t think it’s possible I got the old pad version. Bought them from amazon.de, new.

WAIT. I just tried some metal and I see it now. The bass does get bloated and overemphasized. I didn’t hear it with classical, rap and pop genres.
easily fixable with EQ
For quieter listen levels the bass is satisfying. I probably listen too quiet compared to most people

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #3,703 of 7,677
Thanks for your detailed answer.

I want to understand if the spare earpads they sell on their website are the same ones I have on my Neo or the same ones I have on my Classic.

I want an extra pair (like the one I have on my classics) for my classics and one to try on my Neo. I can not understand from their picture on their website.

Later on I might follow your advice and try MSR7 pads on my Neo but I am not touching anything on my classics.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 5:30 AM Post #3,704 of 7,677
I have just received my Meze 99 Classics. I think the pad controversy might have been blown out of proportion. I don’t hear anything wrong with these. The bass is not masking anything, not bloted, not too much like people have been saying. Overall I think the sound is just right, nothing strikes me as wrong or hurting neither in upper mids nor treble.
On the other hand, my ears do touch the drivers, right ear more so. If it starts hurting I will s
do an update. I don’t think it’s possible I got the old pad version. Bought them from amazon.de, new.

WAIT. I just tried some metal and I see it now. The bass does get bloated and overemphasized. I didn’t hear it with classical, rap and pop genres.
easily fixable with EQ
For quieter listen levels the bass is satisfying. I probably listen too quiet compared to most people

I have exactly the same sensations! I mostly listen to hard rock and metal and I find the bass bloated in some albums in this genres. I also fixed it with EQ or not depending on the album.
I bought the HP from meze website four months ago so think I have the latest pads version.
Maybe it's a good idea that meze explains if diferent types of oficial pads exists and how the swap affects the sound. It's the only con I found with these great and beautiful HPs.

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #3,705 of 7,677
My Meze 99 Neo ordered directly from Meze had my ears touching (but not painfully) both drivers. The brand new pads I ordered from Meze being slightly thicker, only ear occasionally touches. My ears are fairly flat against my head so it's not from that. I actually put a second new pair of Meze pads on my Sony MDR-Z1A and it made them fit more comfortably (stock pads area a bit too small) and gave them an upgraded quality of sound, spaciousness. High end detail with little fatigue, full mids and incredible sub bass (more than before, more than the Meze but clean and zero bleed into the low mids). Great for reference. The Meze 99 Neo with the newer pads has cleaner low mids, high bass but still a bit extra there that can cloud some recordings. Overall there is the slight resonance in the mids to contend with, mainly there. The Meze 99 Classic I tried was worse in that bloat, and had a drier, less interesting midrange. For its faults - the midrange on the Neo really is among the best I've heard. The highs are smoother, the high mids just right, and there is a natural hyper-realism in the mids that is uncanny. Overall, they're still my favorite current cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back