Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jan 20, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #3,586 of 7,677
Not sure if it's the same but they also are working on Planars.

I just want to see more of the In Ears they are working on and teased us with last year

Jan 21, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #3,589 of 7,677
So I'm in a bind. I've given the 99s plenty listening. They have an enjoyable, musical sound. "Tight" is defo a word to describe them. Bass is strong and treble energetic without going overboard in to bright territory. BUT I just find them a bit too congested at times and I feel they miss out on detail I know should be there. Very narrow soundstage to my ears and I've tried them with different AMPS, the best I got was from using tubes. I really didn't anticipate the cups being so small (quite warm very quickly). So I'm now in two minds whether to send back or try out the Brainwavz Sheepskins which from reading might open them up?!?!? I'm not one for EQing to be fair, too lazy.

What i will say is my Soundmagic HP100s continue to astound me every time when going up against certain more expensive sets. in fact their sound signature COULD be close to a more open 99.

Jan 21, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #3,590 of 7,677
So I'm in a bind. I've given the 99s plenty listening. They have an enjoyable, musical sound. "Tight" is defo a word to describe them. Bass is strong and treble energetic without going overboard in to bright territory. BUT I just find them a bit too congested at times and I feel they miss out on detail I know should be there. Very narrow soundstage to my ears and I've tried them with different AMPS, the best I got was from using tubes. I really didn't anticipate the cups being so small (quite warm very quickly). So I'm now in two minds whether to send back or try out the Brainwavz Sheepskins which from reading might open them up?!?!? I'm not one for EQing to be fair, too lazy.

What i will say is my Soundmagic HP100s continue to astound me every time when going up against certain more expensive sets. in fact their sound signature COULD be close to a more open 99.
I'm using the BW Sheepskin Ovals and with my 300R I hear no congestion, stage is wide, bass clean, treble leaning towards bright side but never crossing

Jan 22, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #3,592 of 7,677
I hope these aren't going to cost an arm or a leg. If these planars are priced similarly to the 99 classics, they will sell very well... Anymore than that and they'll enter a playing field with a lot of heavy hitters.
Screenshot_20180122-163806.jpg

Jan 22, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #3,595 of 7,677
I find them a bit too congested at times and I feel they miss detail. Narrow soundstage. My Soundmagic HP100s astound.

Interesting. I tried the Sound Magic 150 (same driver, sound) and the mids and bass were good (though I think it lacked low subs) and the highs had a bothersome peak, if I remember correctly. Should you want a more open sound, with more high end detail, you should try the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 pads. They add high end air, and clean up the lower mids, but you could lose some bass as well.

Jan 22, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #3,596 of 7,677
Interesting. I tried the Sound Magic 150 (same driver, sound) and the mids and bass were good (though I think it lacked low subs) and the highs had a bothersome peak, if I remember correctly. Should you want a more open sound, with more high end detail, you should try the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 pads. They add high end air, and clean up the lower mids, but you could lose some bass as well.

No, to be fair the detail is there, it's just not clear enough possibly down to quite a narrow soundstage. I'm not a fan of overly bright signatures so the MSR7s would not suit me. I've researched them before. I can't comment on the Soundmagic HP150, only the HP100. I've heard the HP150 very briefly tho and they do share a very similar sound signature. I don't think anyone would say the HP100 has a lack of low subs as they extend very low... it's one of their highlights. I was listening recently to EDM and they're fantastically matched.

Back on topic to 99s.

Jan 22, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #3,597 of 7,677
I'm using the BW Sheepskin Ovals and with my 300R I hear no congestion, stage is wide, bass clean, treble leaning towards bright side but never crossing

Funnily enough, I pulled the housing back ever so slightly away from my ear and they do seem to open up a bit so you might be right with the Sheepskin pads. Dilemma.

Jan 23, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #3,598 of 7,677
Hey guys,
Has anyone paired their 99 classics with an IPhone 7s and DFR? I just can’t get over the synergy this set-up puts out. I almost don’t want to listen to my desktop set-up because this sounds so pure. I haven’t modded a thing on them as I dare not change the sound that I personally think is sublime. That little DFR does some wonderous stuff paired with the 99’s.
I now have the neo’s and am like a little kid waiting in line to see Santa for the first time.
These will now dominate my headtime and probably put most of my other gear on the sideline for a while.
Lorand, you’re the best bro!

Jan 23, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #3,599 of 7,677

Users who are viewing this thread

Back