Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Mar 14, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #1,952 of 7,677

I managed to get the treble to extend all the way up. 

Took a ton of EQ and it also took me to use my custom ESS chip stup for it, but what I can make out of this is that many DAPs and implementations are actually a bit rolled off and 99C responds to that (?) 

(Talking about physical roll off, I did EQ them to get this well extended in both ways signature)

EDIT::: This is actually why I haven't reviewed them yet. I wanted to make sure whether there is any roll-off in the treble or bass areas, but after enough fiddling, I can safely say that they can be managed to have no roll off and extend to 20kHz with no problems. 

​Cool, anyway you can post an image of your EQ?

Mar 14, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #1,953 of 7,677

​Cool, anyway you can post an image of your EQ?

To explain what is going on. 

31 Hz   - 5dB

62 Hz   - 3dB

125 Hz  - 0 dB

250 Hz  - -3 dB

500 Hz  - 3 dB

1 kHz    - 3 dB

2 kHz    - 3 dB

4 kHz    - 3 dB

8 kHz    - 0 dB

16 kHz  - 21 dB

As for more details, the 250 Hz area is where it is a bit strong by default, and if increasing the 16 kHz area, it is a must to decrease the 8kHz area otherwise the treble can come in a bit hot. 

Mar 15, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #1,954 of 7,677
@WILLDQ If this listing is correct then it looks like the same mic:  http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/meze-99-neo-headphones?gclid=COODyuyL2NICFQ0R0wodetwA3g

Not sure about that price though. It's only £10 off the wooden version.

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #1,956 of 7,677
Posted this on Twitter a day before the Nintendo Switch was released; enjoy!

1. Meze Audio 99 Classics Walnut Silver
  2. Double Helix Cables Molecule Elite 22AWG pure silver 8-Wire balanced cables (with optional modular adapters)
  3. Onkyo DP-X1 (1st Gen) Android DAP with 2x 128GB Sandisk MicroSDXC cards
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask New 3DS XL Console (playing Pokémon Sun; Battle Tree)
  5. Waterfield 3DS XL Cityslicker case in Grizzly Brown leather (this has wonderfully patina over time)
  6. Secrid Dutch Martin Whiskey Slimwallet (purchased from SlimWalletJunkie.com)
  7. Costa Flat White coffee.

wink_face.gif

A day later I got my Switch; might post pics later with my cans....

^^

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #1,957 of 7,677
Hey there,

I'd follow this thread over here if I were you. Some cool things will happen on it very soon! But I guess you guys already know what we're gonna do.

Check it out!

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Mar 15, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #1,958 of 7,677

2. Double Helix Cables Molecule Elite 22AWG pure silver 8-Wire balanced cables (with optional modular adapters)
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask New 3DS XL Console (playing Pokémon Sun; Battle Tree)
  5. Waterfield 3DS XL Cityslicker case in Grizzly Brown leather (this has wonderfully patina over time)

wink_face.gif

^^

You really look like you are having a lot of fun in there! 

Mar 16, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #1,960 of 7,677
Hey MEZE team. I ordered the new larger pads on 3/3/17 and I have not received them yet. Can check and see when they will arrive.

Thank you.

Hey @WILLDQ

Send us an email at support@mezeaudio.com, we'll need some more information from you and we'll look into it!

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Mar 16, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #1,961 of 7,677

wink_face.gif

^^

What cable do you have there? links? I cant find any upgrade cables using a slim enough connector to fit into the meze cups. Mayhaps you found a slim adaptor? if so link plz 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #1,962 of 7,677

You really look like you are having a lot of fun in there! 

Yeah dude thanks!

My glasses broke less than three days before the Nintendo Switch came out, and I had earmarked a huge amount of money towards it (ignoring certain stuff I got in preparation too, like the Ultimate Ears Boom 2 wireless speaker and TaoTronics TT-BA07 Bluetooth Transmitter/Receiver), so having to fork out under £250 for a new pair was a blow, but worth it (vast majority of that cost was for the lenses, the rest was frames and eye test).

A day before the Nintendo Switch release, I got a call that my new lenses were in and ready. Whilst I waited for the spectacles with the expensive lenses to be completed, took a nice chilled break, having fun on Pokémon and enjoying both SBTRKT and Lusine via Tidal.

---

What cable do you have there? links? I cant find any upgrade cables using a slim enough connector to fit into the meze cups. Mayhaps you found a slim adaptor? if so link plz 
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey dude, thank you.

I, er, embedded links and described the cable in my post, but I'll type it here again:

1. Double Helix Cables Molecule Elite 22AWG pure silver 8-Wire balanced cables (with optional modular adapters).

The actual connectors are unique, so when ordering your cable from DHC select the ultra thin Eidolic 3.5mm universal extended-tip plugs.
You will also need brand new earcup casings to replace the ones in the 99 Classics too; an easy mod that can be done by yourself. Here are the instructions that DHC published.
By the way,I was the first person I believe to have had this mod, which some others after also did too.

Meze also make an official larger casing (and other accessories) for the 99 Classics if you want a cheaper and official option.

Hope this helps! ^^

Mar 17, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #1,963 of 7,677
@MezeTeam I just realized that you guys offer new earpads on your website. Are these the same that are on the classics already or are they slightly bigger? (I already have a later version of the Meze 99 Classics with the bigger pads than the early versions).
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #1,965 of 7,677
So here we are just over a week in.  I reckon I'm just past the 40 hour burn in point and I can speak more clearly about my impressions of the 99C's.  The bass seems to be getting better as time goes on.  Listening to "Forgotten places" by Alif Tree there is a pronounced double bass line which sounds wonderfully fluid and tactile without being boomy.  This track would highlight bass inadequacies quite clearly and I'm happy that the drivers in the 99C's are subtly changing for the better.  The bass has P.R.A.T. whilst remaining warm.  The treble seems to have smoothed out and become more detailed as well.  These headphones are so easy to listen to and yet they are not "easy listening" in their presentation owing to the vivacity and musical pleasure they convey.  My first week has been immensely satisfying and I'm glad I didn't splurge on the B&W P7 wireless I'd auditioned in a shop the week before.  These headphones are much better than those, although the bluetooth convenience would have been nice.  I'm glad I resisted and trusted myself to go for 99C's.  I would also like to thank the many reviewers on Head-fi and other forums whose opinions and reviews proved so invaluable.  Sometimes it is difficult to audition headphones and one has to go by the sound signatures described by other enthusiasts.  The relative comparisons by certain members about headphones whose sonic signature I know well helps one to get quite an accurate impression of the sound of a particular model and one can make quite informed choices based on those.  I certainly got lucky in my choice with the 99C's. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back