1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by MezeTeam, Jan 13, 2016.
First

Back
396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405
407 408 409 410
Next

Last
  1. bzippy
    HD600 guy here again with a follow up question. My current closed backs are V- Moda XS (on ear). Though i really like them and have for years, the small field/stage and overall thick character (big bass & low mids, smooth top) are what I'm trying to move away from with my next set of closed backs (in addition to a step up in overall performance/quality). I was hoping that the 99 Classics would be a good contender, but with so many here describing the 99 Classics has having a big low end and lots of warmth, I'm now wondering whether they're too similar to the XS for me. Anyone familiar enough with both?

2. Mhog55
    No, just nope. It's about those mids. Recessed in your current can, polar opposite in the 99s - slightly forward. Unless you are a big fan of borderline sizzling and very extended highs, the 99s also offer a nice top end. Some may say it rolls off to soon, but it's about perfect for me. Though the soundstage isn't exceptionally wide or deep, it will definitely be an improvement. Also not the most detailed or accurate, but they perform just fine in that department. Again, an improvement. They really are a jack of all trades. Whether you grab the Classics or Noir, I highly recommend using the smaller pads.

cjc likes this.
  3. ccrys
    What do you think about Nad D3020 v2 heaphones output?

I'm thinking to sell My Nad c315, Asus Xonar U7 for have all in one and better sq.

The rest of the system: MA Bronze 2 + Meze Classics 99.

4. bzippy
    Thanks. I expected folks would say that because I'm pretty sure I tried them once about a year ago and I didn't remember them to sound anything like my V-Moda XS -- although it was very brief and I'm not 100% sure it was them. I was trying some Mr Speakers planars at a local high end shop (Evolution AV) and they had one set of dynamics there too: I remember wood cups and a self-adjusting headband, so it had to be the 99's, right? I had not heard of them before so that's why I'm not sure. What I do remember was being really impressed with their sound, and even preferring them to all the expensive planars. It was my first time hearing planars and I came away thinking that I must just be a dynamic guy. They just sound more right, more like home. :)

My only beef with your post is that I would never call the XS mids recessed. I find them very mid forward, though perhaps it's just the mid-mids and low mids. If there is any recess in mids, it may be way up in the high mids, like in the "presence" region. Is that maybe what you mean? Because they are certainly very vocals & guitars forward to my ear -- but again, a rather thick & round presentation of mids overall.

5. Mhog55
    I'm sure their are other wood cans with self adjustment straps, though I can't think of any off the top of my head. Every V Moda I've demoed, the mids are recessed in comparison to the 99s.

6. cjc
    I bought some generics from China. They look and sound great.

7. bzippy
    [deleted]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  8. BbOO
    I just got the Drop version. While they sound very good directly from my iPhone and Walkman, their performance gets significantly heightened when hooked in my Modi+Little Dot MK3 setup. Because of this, i am thinking of getting a portable amp that i can use with my mobile devices.
    Would iFi Nano Black Label be a good match? Or what other max 200 usd amp would you recommend?

9. HungryPanda
    You cannot go wrong with the iFi Nano Black label, that is my go to amp at work

10. dafos58
    Could not control myself and bought the new silver balanced cable from Meze. Now it sounds even more open. Lows are much more controlled. Highs more sparkling. if you can spare the money, just buy it.
    Equalizer settings not more necessary!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    vodanhkhack likes this.
  11. vodanhkhack
    Are you comparing the silver balanced vs the copper balanced one?

12. dafos58
    Yep. i liked the balanced copper cable, but for my ears it still needed eq settings. But the new silver plated balanced cable brings it really to a higher level. I tried it with the Opus 1/xCan and the Ibasso 220. I love it!

13. Lurk650
    Did you get the SPC cable? I see they don't have the 7N OCC upgrade cables anymore

14. dafos58
    That's the one.

15. ngs428
    you are saying you can hear a difference between 2 balanced cables?

koover and Nayparm like this.
First

Back
396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405
407 408 409 410
Next

Last