1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by MezeTeam, Jan 13, 2016.
First

Back
227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236
238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247
Next

Last
  1. Lurk650
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    superuser1 and thehamubrglar like this.
  2. thehamubrglar
    Cool, if you get them I hope you like them as much as I do! They're very comfortable. Although I haven't tried putting the stock Meze pads back on since I got the MSR7s, I did give the stock pads a 20 minute listen for reference before the initial test with the new ones. I had a hard time distinguishing a difference in sound between the two. I'm sure someone with a more analytical or audio-experienced ear than my own could tell a difference or describe the two better - but I will say that I could instantly hear a difference with the Brainwavz and that is not the case here.

3. thehamubrglar
  4. superuser1
    Yes i also got the brainwavz non angled pads and i know exactly what you mean. I was left unimpressed with the disappearance of the sub bass. Overall as you rightly pointed out, the change it sound took away the fun. I hope these breathe a new life into the 99c and i end up using them more.

I just wish there was a 4.4mm balanced copper cable to complete the picture. :wink:

5. Lurk650
    Will do, I have the Sheepskin on them and love them. I though had the version 1 small pads so sound was different then versions with the newer bigger pads

6. Mark Up
    Caution. Look at the pads in his picture up there - and these. See the difference? The smoothness of the pleather on the that will touch your face all around? There are two kinds of MSR7 pads out there, I know because I have both. The smoother ones are a touch smaller around so they are not quite as comfortable for larger ears and it could keep them from fitting properly. If you find the more wrinkled type, I say start with those, they fit on my Meze, I never actually tried the small smooth ones, those I'd used on my Sony MR1A with success. Get this, I got Meze pads (an extra pair off the site) for $20 and put them on my Sony. Amazing, they are now solidly in a "W" shaped sound territory (strong bass, stronger than stock, cleaner low mids vs. stock, solid true mids, just right minor dip in high mids and the same extended highs too.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    HungryPanda and superuser1 like this.
  7. Mark Up
    Those look really nice. In fact, a bit more premium quality pleather / leather I see. Smooth all around, and look like their not smaller sized. Their smoothness all around means they may even seal better. This is getting interesting. Be sure to let us know how those work out on the pads, in addition to how easily and if they do fit properly.

Lurk650 likes this.
  8. thehamubrglar
    His image looks the same as the ones in my eBay listing. The pictures on my eBay listing show the "smooth" ones but the ones I received are certainly more wrinkly. I haven't seen any MSR7 listings that had the wrinkly ones pictured.

9. mbwilson111
  10. Lurk650
  11. mbwilson111
    I put the wrinkly ones on my NAD HP50 and it did improve the comfort of those without ruining the sound. Previously I had tried brainwavz on those but they ruined the sound and they looked ridiculous on the NAD which is meant to look sleek. The main difference in this case size-wise Is that the stock HP50 pads are a bit more narrow (but are the same height). Also the HP50 has a line of stitching right where it touches the ear. One of the corners was really bothering me...causing pain.

Where can I get a little tool to help tuck in the pads when replacing them?

edited to add....when I got my wrinkly ones from ebay several months ago they were listed as MSR7 pads but are obviously the Sony ones. My husband has a Sony MDr-V7 and that is what they are like. I used to have a V6 in the 80's but all i remember about them is that they were hot and the coiled cord was heavy.

HungryPanda likes this.
  12. Lurk650
    Got the MSR7 pads I first linked to above. Only difference I can hear is bass is flatter with the MSR7 pads. More extension and punch with the BW Sheepskin, treble may be slightly duller with the BW but very, very minimal. Off to do more listening.

Also, the thinner MSR7 pads cause the drivers to sit on the ears which for my isn't as comfy and accounts for sound differences

13. thehamubrglar
    mbwilson111 and superuser1 like this.
  14. Lurk650
    FWIW, the pads I got wrinkled with about 10 minutes of use lol

They remind me of the HRM-6 pads

20180107_190441.jpg

15. koover
    The way I look at it, if you have to have a more distinguishable audiophile ear, then these pads are great for me and probably most of us. Even when I decide to sit down and critical listen (which really isn’t that “fun” IMO) I don’t hear that much of a difference then when I’m just losing myself in the music. Isn’t that what’s it’s all about anyway? Lol. The classics just fit the bill and check off every box for kicking it and enjoying your library of music.
    Just by you referencing your statement that way, you sold me on the pads.

First

Back
227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236
238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247
Next

Last