Meze 99 classic vs OPPO PM-3 (which sound more like hd-650)?
Sep 4, 2017 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

arrayindexoutofbounds

New Head-Fier
how do the Meze 99 classic compare to the oppo pm-3?

unfortunately i have no way of auditioning these. price isnt an issue, i just want something with a decent sound signature. I really love the signature of the senn hd-650. strongly dislike something like the b&w p7 which has far far far too much bass. I like clarity but i'll be listening to these in an office setting while working so i wont be able to pay too much attention anyway.

which do you suggest? which sound closer in signature to the hd-650?

thanks!

Sep 5, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #2 of 3
how do the Meze 99 classic compare to the oppo pm-3?

unfortunately i have no way of auditioning these. price isnt an issue, i just want something with a decent sound signature. I really love the signature of the senn hd-650. strongly dislike something like the b&w p7 which has far far far too much bass. I like clarity but i'll be listening to these in an office setting while working so i wont be able to pay too much attention anyway.

which do you suggest? which sound closer in signature to the hd-650?

thanks!

Just reaching here: but I don't think either one sounds like the 650. At all. Might be best to investigate IEM's...

Mar 6, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #3 of 3
Personally, I think both of these headphones are better than the 650. They both compare favorably I think as far as audiophile headphones go - The Meze 99 have great bass, and they are more easily driven than either of the other 2. The 650 is an open headphone and the other 2 are closed, so it's not really a great comparison, but personally, having owned a 600, I feel the heyday of this type of Senn headphone is over, these newer designs are beating it.

The Meze is driven much louder than the PM-3 at the same level on a Dragonfly Red, and the bass is better. However I think the PM-3 does seem to have a more neutral sound, and it has some kind of magic in the mids I think is missing on the Meze, it's hard to explain - but immediately I gravitated towards the Meze because of it's portable drivability, also, it's a lighter, more comfortable headphone that looks alot cooler, but the stock cord has microphonics and I feel the PM-3 would last a little longer.

You can't really go wrong with any of these headphones, they're all excellent for their price, with the Meze maybe being the greatest value. If i was really looking for a neutral open headphone and didn't care about bass, (ie, I listen to rock or classical mainly) I'd probably try to get an HD 58x or 6xx because their prices are really reasonable for the Senns.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back