Metrum Pavane
Dec 24, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #198 of 682

From AudioStream's Annual Bits 2015:

http://www.audiostream.com/content/annual-bits-2015

Digital to Analog Converters - Class A

Metrum Acoustics Pavane, $,4999.99
The Metrum Acoustics Pavane is the company's flagship DAC for a reason; it sounds like music. "Yes, the Pavane is a better sounding DAC as compared to the Musette. It gives you more weight, body, tonal richness, and a more natural sense of the space of the recording. Or to put it more plainly, it fleshes out your music more."

Feb 15, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #200 of 682
No thoughts compared to the Yggdrasil....but I can tell you my DAC search has completely ended with this one.  The way it presents music naturally with such clarity to detail/instruments/space is astounding.

Feb 21, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #204 of 682
  I can't afford multiples for a 5.1 setup. I'm now using two MSRP $400 DAC that I got on the cheap, after I pickup another one I'll probably make a post about it. All my new equipments are coming from the pro audio side now.

Did you enjoy the sound of the Pavane while you had it? Thank you for any comments.

Mar 25, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #206 of 682
Just got new Pavane. When I switched off my mac or it goes to sleep mode and then I turn it on, Pavane (hiFaceTwo USB) is no more visible in Mac sound preferences. Metrum team says “this is typical for Xmos chips, that they have a sleeping mode and in a case there is no music playing for long time the Xmos go into sleep mode and resetting is only possible by switching off the Pavane and to on again.

More logical to me it would be, If you shut off the computer, the next time you start it up, the Xmos chip (in its' own sleep mode) receives the 5V charge and should be reset to connect and become visible to the computer operating system. The System audio Preferences then recognises the DAC and all is well.

However, in case of my previously DAC’s I used to turned off & on computer but DAC’s were always on so they were immediately ready for peak performance. In case of hi-end Pavane this scenario isn't practical.

Any similar experiences with walking to Pavane (despite having remote control :) and pushing standby/on button all the time.

Mar 26, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #207 of 682
  Just got new Pavane. When I switched off my mac or it goes to sleep mode and then I turn it on, Pavane (hiFaceTwo USB) is no more visible in Mac sound preferences. Metrum team says “this is typical for Xmos chips, that they have a sleeping mode and in a case there is no music playing for long time the Xmos go into sleep mode and resetting is only possible by switching off the Pavane and to on again.

More logical to me it would be, If you shut off the computer, the next time you start it up, the Xmos chip (in its' own sleep mode) receives the 5V charge and should be reset to connect and become visible to the computer operating system. The System audio Preferences then recognises the DAC and all is well.

However, in case of my previously DAC’s I used to turned off & on computer but DAC’s were always on so they were immediately ready for peak performance. In case of hi-end Pavane this scenario isn't practical.

Any similar experiences with walking to Pavane (despite having remote control :) and pushing standby/on button all the time.

I don’t think that this behavior you have is typical for Xmos chips. Xmos chips are very common and I have never heard of this type of problem before. I also agree with your logic. 

Apr 30, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #210 of 682
I have listened to both. At the $3500 used I spent I def. like the Pavane. Better bass punch, more detail and extension. At $5k retail I would go for the yggy. 80 if not 90% the Pavane for less than half the price. If Metrum can get the price down to $3499 or even $3999 they would really have something that is "worth" upgrading to. The yggy is one of the best dac's ever made imo. When comparing the Pavane to other dac's $5k really isn't that bad. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back