Metrum Pavane
Aug 16, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #121 of 682
  I am not sure? A 2V standard output to a power amp is attenuated by the pre-amp. What difference if that is in the DAC analogue output or the inside the Power amp (which it never is)
True, different if using a pre-amp the power amp, or integrated amp. The challenge in my view is the impedance matching of the output stage in the DAC. My DAC is effectively a pre-amp with a DAC board in it. I tried extensively with a pre-amp to power, and a DAC to passive to power, and it was no contest. I am not saying that would always be the case with all sources.

Higher energy level in the cable is better for signal integrity, eg: SNR. Once past the resistor there is like not much left. Eg: 10,000 to 1 for 40db attenuation.

Analog XLR cable can make a huge difference in the sound, it's sad really the state of the art.

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #123 of 682
Anybody compared the Pavane to the Lampizator Amber (€1600)?

Looks like a nice DAC with Sabre chips and tubed PS and output.

Aug 28, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #128 of 682
Coming from the Metrum Hex, I have a strong desire to upgrade to this DAC.  Also been looking at the Rockna Wavedream because of the volume adjustment in thinking that it might be handy if I ever decide to use it down the road for speakers that I have no space for right now.......anyone have any thoughts on comparisons between the 2?  I read previous comments and there was a brief mention but I'm trying to see if there's anyone else that's heard these 2 DACs.   Thanks in advance.

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #130 of 682
  Could any Pavane owner play this track and see if here is a low level buzz with the piano?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KofOuiYJkLQ

you mean for the whole song or just a part of it? I don't really hear buzz noise. Maybe you are talking about those extremely weak sound of the piano player stepping the paddle? (I am not really sure, it sounds like some mechanical structure is moving )

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #131 of 682
  you mean for the whole song or just a part of it? I don't really hear buzz noise. Maybe you are talking about those extremely weak sound of the piano player stepping the paddle? (I am not really sure, it sounds like some mechanical structure is moving )

I think it's the vibration of the mic/stand that got recorded into the track, but I got multiple piano track with the same issue (a lot less than this one though). I don't remember hearing them with previous setups...

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #132 of 682
  I think it's the vibration of the mic/stand that got recorded into the track, but I got multiple piano track with the same issue (a lot less than this one though). I don't remember hearing them with previous setups...

still I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing, but to me the Pavane does dig out some very small sound details that I haven't heard before.

Sep 7, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #133 of 682
Welcome to the world of R-2R bit perfect RedBook and higher resolution digital. To me these micro details are lost / buried in Delta-Sigma and treble harshness and a less real sound is the result.

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #134 of 682
I think you heard the felt-damping paddle of the piano, more on left downside.
And yes, a extremely weak sound. Originating a mp3 low quality.

But i heard it even with my Esoteric d-02 deltasigma AK4399.
rolleyes.gif

Hope coli has the 44.1 CD version of it.

Sep 8, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #135 of 682
  I think you heard the felt-damping paddle of the piano, more on left downside.
And yes, a extremely weak sound. Originating a mp3 low quality.

But i heard it even with my Esoteric d-02 deltasigma AK4399.
rolleyes.gif

Hope coli has the 44.1 CD version of it.

beerchug.gif

Micro detail lost in Delta-Simga chips my #$%.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back