Metrum NOS Hex Flagship DAC
Nov 23, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #391 of 500
i've listened to the Hex for a few hours in a couple of sessions, bear in mind I didn't use it for two weeks so it's hardly a valod test!

To be honest I didn't remember such bass extension and clarity from the Hex.
I've started with one of favourite album of the 2014 (take a look here, it's an amazing album) and I didn't remember the cello to be so clean and punchy in the first track, and believe me, I've listened to it quite a few times! Also, I was struck by the ambience of the recording and the depth of the stage.

I didn't expect this kind of improvement, it's not a nigh and day change, but noticeable and very welcome. I've exchanged a few emails with Cees at Metrum and he said the biggest benefit of using the nee USB module was of course the ability to plug and play the device in Mac OS and Linux (I use the latter), but he did mentioned some jitter improvement too.
Maybe I'm tricking my mind with some biased expectations but in the end I feel I didn't waste 200 euros :)

Dec 14, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #393 of 500
Interesting. I heard about the new DAC by Cees when I sent my Hex for the USB update. I don't know if it is going to replace the Hex, but it will be the new flagship. I'll be curious to listen to it when it becomes available.

Dec 14, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #394 of 500
What if it's a matching flagship headphone amp for the Hex, like how Aurix was a matching amp for Octave MKII?

Dec 15, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #395 of 500
Octave MKII and Hex are really close in terms of sound sig. Moreover, after an A/B test between both of them on my EC 4-45 (RCA input) who have an helpfull input switch, they were so close that I sold my Hex and keep the Octave MKII.

For me, Hex worth the investment only for a balanced set-up.

Dec 15, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #396 of 500
Octave MKII and Hex are really close in terms of sound sig. Moreover, after an A/B test between both of them on my EC 4-45 (RCA input) who have an helpfull input switch, they were so close that I sold my Hex and keep the Octave MKII.

For me, Hex worth the investment only for a balanced set-up.

I actually felt that the difference between Octave MKII and Hex was significant. Sure they have similar sound "sig", but in terms of sound "quality" the Hex is on another level.

Maybe your Hex didn't have the upgraded Lundahl transformers? For European versions of Hex, the upgraded transformers are an optional thing that you need to specify and add for a price, while for US it's standard fare. The point of those transformers is to enhanced the quality of the RCA outputs. Maybe if you've heard the upgraded version, you may think different.

Dec 15, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #397 of 500
I actually felt that the difference between Octave MKII and Hex was significant. Sure they have similar sound "sig", but in terms of sound "quality" the Hex is on another level.

Maybe your Hex didn't have the upgraded Lundahl transformers? For European versions of Hex, the upgraded transformers are an optional thing that you need to specify and add for a price, while for US it's standard fare. The point of those transformers is to enhanced the quality of the RCA outputs. Maybe if you've heard the upgraded version, you may think different.

It was with the lundahl transformer and yes,it was a bit better on the Hex (bigger soundstage,more air, better extension and vocal bit more laidback and less warm) but I didn't have the feeling this tiny improvement worth to upgrade (if you only plan to use RCA output).

In balanced set up, Hex definitly win against Octave MKII.

Dec 18, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #398 of 500
I thought the Hex was much, much better than the Octave even with using the Hex in single ended. The difference was very big. I had the Lundahl.

Dec 20, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #399 of 500
This is a thread about the Metrum but I hope it is OK to make the query here. 

Has anyone actually tested either of the Metrum (Hex/Octave) side by side against the well regarded Line Magnetic 502 Dac? 

Thanks!
ULUL

Dec 21, 2014 at 4:58 AM Post #400 of 500
Not exactly. but I have the Metrum Octave II 6 months old here, and my Audio Note DAC 4.1 blows it out of the water. Not sure if the Hex is 4 times better, but that is the region we are talking about from my little Metrum. HST the Metrum is a great NOS DAC and for the money superb. It is just ones you get to better transformers and power supplies and a great tube output, things start to get interesting (and more realistic / less digital).

Dec 22, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #402 of 500
Saw that earlier...looks pretty neat. Wonder what it's specs are? 

With DACs, the ladder keeps going and going, I'll stop at the $3500 Hex. 
wink.gif

Dec 26, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #405 of 500
Not sure if it's the cheapest, but the Audio Note 2.1 is one of the better ones regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back