Metrum NOS Hex Flagship DAC
May 11, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #16 of 500
no one has heard the HEX yet? I am eyeing this one, m7 and PWD MKII (and bricasti if I can pay in installments somewhere -- too poor to drop 6K at once)

Jun 30, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #18 of 500
Quote:
I have bought mine, yesterday. :D

You already have the Octave Mk2 I believe?

I have to say I've been thinking about the Hex for my main system ever since I tried my Octave Mk2 in that system. I nearly left the Octave there, but it's intended for another system.  My main system is fully balanced thus my interest in the Hex.

Jun 30, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #19 of 500
Yup, I also have the Octave Mk2. I will be reporting about how the Hex will be improving upon it. In the past I have also owned the Eximus DP1 (and I remember its sound very well, so I will throw a comparison between the two as wel, albeit by memory). And you are thinking the right way, as you have a balanced system.

Jun 30, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #20 of 500
I can't wait for these impressions.  This is the DAC I'm most interested in at the moment.

popcorn.gif

Jul 16, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #26 of 500
First impressions... I am using the Hex with Stax Lambda normal bias and a heavily modified SRM-727A (under Kevin Gilmore's instructions), which is basically a more modern version of the stock KGSS (with current source modification and the samet transistors as the KGSSHV, albeit not reaching the same voltages as the KGSSHV). It's not just the spritzer mod, it's a deeper modification. If I am not mistaken, Kevin will publish such instructions... otherwise, he has already allowed me to help in case anyone wanted to have some guidance to mod their SRM-727A. I have baptised my amp the KGSS-A.

Right now, this is the best setup I have ever heard and/or owned.

The Hex is much, much better than the Octave Mk2. Their main resemblance is in tonal intensity (or color saturation, if you prefer).
The Hex has much more deep bass power and dynamics, to the point that listening to the Lambda, you would never apply the word "light" to them. It's a continuous exhibition of power. Where the Octave has some bloom in the upper bass, the Hex is more linear. The Hex has similarly thick midrange to the Octave (which is where they share similar tonal saturation) but the Hex tends to be more forward in the upper midrange. The Hex manages to be as euphonic as the Octave, but much more balanced. There is still the same sense of romantic sound and fullness.

The biggest difference (if we try to "split" differences in departments) are in the treble. Where the Octave tends to be smooth, and lacks ultimate resolution, the Hex is super resolving. It offers a huge sense of layering, and super precise instrument placement. It has tons of information and nuances, and shows the micro-modulations of certain tunes (sorry, I wouldn't know how else I could call the effect, I am not very used to it with the other DAC's).

Anyway, the Hex is much better than the Octave Mk2. It's a no-compromise DAC... probably the first one I have encountered, albeit I need to listen to the AMR again, with this Stax setup.

I don't use all these superlatives without a reason, but it totally exceeded my expectations... well, now at least I can understand better what 6moons said by "Octave on caffeine". Albeit I'd have used "an Octave in need for exorcism".

Similarly to the new Yulong DA8, the Hex is an inspired and active "player". It's warmer, fuller and more complete than the Yulong DA8, and has superior spatial capabilities.

Listening to Okami soundtrack is particularly enjoyable.

How perfect?
With certain songs (I have yet to investigate if it depends on the track itself, it mainly happens with Television, or Queen), the screaming vocals can be too much. It needs to be evaluated how much of it depends on Stax Lambda, or if it depends on the Metrum Hex itself.
Soon, I should receive another Omega 2, so I will be able to test this behaviour.

Again, how perfect? It must be evaluated, in the long run, if being an "Octave on caffeine", as sixmoons said, will keep being enjoyable for every moment, but I might be paranoid at this point.

Jul 16, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #27 of 500
So the HEX is not a transparent DAC, it has it's own signature or it's colored?  Is that how you would describe it?

It sound like it does not roll off at either end.  It has pretty good extension? 

Jul 16, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #28 of 500
It's not tranparent if by transparent we mean "ghastly" sounding :D

I really think it's transparent to the music.
It's super extended towards both directions.

Jul 17, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #29 of 500
Thanks Tony and you are right, just take your time and see how it will be developing on the longer run, according to Cees it may need 500 hours, before any final judgment.
What kind of transport and cables you tried so far, how its USB performing, it should be much better to Octave, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back