Metrum Acoustics new DAC model Flint
Apr 16, 2018 at 9:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

jpoyarzun

New Head-Fier
So, I was checking Metrum website and found a new DAC model called Flint. It seems that it has the same two modules that they use on amethyst. There's no much info out there except some board images.

I reached them by mail and got a couple pictures that I now share with you:

27637114278_b107646bd6_h.jpg

27637114918_aaa28dda24_o.jpg

The facts I got: Its clearly a prototype yet, it has only coax and Toslink entries, an isolated switching PSU (fine by me) and a unibody chassis made by CNC. They are accepting preorders at 369 euro and the end price will be 399 (is this a thing now in hi-fi world?) and they expect to ship by June.

In the mail, the Metrum guy stated that it is the same guts of the Amethyst, of course with other PSU, and without USB and head amp... This DAC really matches perfectly my case of use (i'm on a tight budget, have a USB to spdif, and a separate amp).

The lastest Metrum DAC that I heard was the Hex (here in Chile there's no dealership or anything), and I really, really loved the sound. Do anyone has any more info? how is the sound of the amethyst? should I preorder it?

May 17, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #2 of 31
Sounds like a low-cost point of entry for R-2-R NOS DAC. I'm very interested. If I find I like the Metrum sound, I can always jump to the Onyx and sell Flint.

No USB is no biggie for me. I've got a Schiit Eitr I can use to feed it.

Jul 19, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #4 of 31
A great 'entry level' DAC, I guess hard to beat for the money. Simply connect with ie a Chrome Audio, et voila a €500 streaming solution! (Which even supports Roon, if one fancies)

In a Flint preview it is mentioned that other high-end manufacturers will be using their in house build DAC modules, a nice acknowledgement. For those who are interested, in Dutch: https://www.alpha-audio.nl/2018/07/video-metrum-acoustics-flint-d-a-converter/

Cheers, Fred

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #9 of 31
I think standard they use two transient DAC-ONE chips (not the newer DAC-TWO chips). I had contact with their customer support and it seems to be possible to order the Flint with DAC-TWO chips instead. They did not give me a price on this.

Jan 28, 2019 at 1:14 AM Post #10 of 31
I think standard they use two transient DAC-ONE chips (not the newer DAC-TWO chips). I had contact with their customer support and it seems to be possible to order the Flint with DAC-TWO chips instead. They did not give me a price on this.
ah that's great if it possible to customize. but if it's over $600 after the upgrade, then I'll get a Denafrips Ares R2R DAC.

Feb 28, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #11 of 31
I've ordered a Metrum FLINT with DAC2 chips for my office setup to be paired with a Schiit LYR2 Amp ... it's a bit of a 'trial & fun' purchase to see if the Metrum NOS sound appeals to me ... if anyone is interested I'll post some impressions when it arrives.

Mar 1, 2019 at 12:15 AM Post #12 of 31
I've ordered a Metrum FLINT with DAC2 chips for my office setup to be paired with a Schiit LYR2 Amp ... it's a bit of a 'trial & fun' purchase to see if the Metrum NOS sound appeals to me ... if anyone is interested I'll post some impressions when it arrives.

I'd be very interested in reading your impressions. Especially because you could maybe compare it to the gumby.

Mar 2, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #13 of 31
The Metrum Acoustics FLINT that I ordered has arrived, delivery by DHL Express to France was included in the price. I also received a 10% discount due to their current campaign.

Although not listed on their website, I also ordered the DAC TWO chips as an upgrade. There are two of these chips in the FLINT, one per channel running in differential mode, and superior to the standard DAC ONE version … they are native 24 bit, with their latest ‘forward correction technology’, whereas the DAC ONE are 16 bit. I thought that the extra €100 cost for this upgrade was reasonable for the expected performance bump … tbh, a bit of a no brainer. They are exactly the same chips used in the rest of the current Metrum DAC lineup … they just have more of them configured as one climbs up the model range. A true trickle-down of technology along the product line.

Inside the inner box, apart from the FLINT itself, there is just a 2 metre length of mains cord, fitted with a 2-pin plug. No external power supply required. There is no on/off switch so this unit is meant to be powered on 24/7. There are also no paper instructions and I don’t think you need it … there are some indicators on the bottom of the unit to describe what the connectors are (i.e. mains, coax, optical, L&R RCA output). There is no USB connector … one has to use S/PDIF, which may be an issue for some. If you don’t have an optical output on your computer, the solution is a USB-S/PDIF converter. Metrum sell the M2Tech HiFace 2 converter but others are also available elsewhere. I have an Armature Hercate (a Euro version of the Singxer F1) which gives good performance, but not particularly cheap. Personally, I prefer coax anyway.

The FLINT is a very simple looking device, with just 3 lights (error, coax & optical) and a toggle selection button. I was up and running within 5 minutes … true plug-n-play.

I had a quick listen to check if everything was working and my initial impression is that the sound is quite different to what I’m used to … oversampled DS and MultiBit whereas the FLINT is a NOS, non-oversampled, architecture. I will give a more detailed impression about the sound once the unit has been on for a while … I’m not sure if it needs a ‘run-in period’ to get the best out of it. I also think my brain/ears need to acclimatise to the different sound presentation to get the most out of it. However, suffice it to say at this stage, what I heard straight out of the box surprised me, in a positive way.

Mar 2, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #14 of 31
The Metrum Acoustics FLINT that I ordered has arrived, delivery by DHL Express to France was included in the price. I also received a 10% discount due to their current campaign.

Although not listed on their website, I also ordered the DAC TWO chips as an upgrade. There are two of these chips in the FLINT, one per channel running in differential mode, and superior to the standard DAC ONE version … they are native 24 bit, with their latest ‘forward correction technology’, whereas the DAC ONE are 16 bit. I thought that the extra €100 cost for this upgrade was reasonable for the expected performance bump … tbh, a bit of a no brainer. They are exactly the same chips used in the rest of the current Metrum DAC lineup … they just have more of them configured as one climbs up the model range. A true trickle-down of technology along the product line.

Inside the inner box, apart from the FLINT itself, there is just a 2 metre length of mains cord, fitted with a 2-pin plug. No external power supply required. There is no on/off switch so this unit is meant to be powered on 24/7. There are also no paper instructions and I don’t think you need it … there are some indicators on the bottom of the unit to describe what the connectors are (i.e. mains, coax, optical, L&R RCA output). There is no USB connector … one has to use S/PDIF, which may be an issue for some. If you don’t have an optical output on your computer, the solution is a USB-S/PDIF converter. Metrum sell the M2Tech HiFace 2 converter but others are also available elsewhere. I have an Armature Hercate (a Euro version of the Singxer F1) which gives good performance, but not particularly cheap. Personally, I prefer coax anyway.

The FLINT is a very simple looking device, with just 3 lights (error, coax & optical) and a toggle selection button. I was up and running within 5 minutes … true plug-n-play.

I had a quick listen to check if everything was working and my initial impression is that the sound is quite different to what I’m used to … oversampled DS and MultiBit whereas the FLINT is a NOS, non-oversampled, architecture. I will give a more detailed impression about the sound once the unit has been on for a while … I’m not sure if it needs a ‘run-in period’ to get the best out of it. I also think my brain/ears need to acclimatise to the different sound presentation to get the most out of it. However, suffice it to say at this stage, what I heard straight out of the box surprised me, in a positive way.
Congrats, Waiting to hear more about the sound of Flint with DAC TWO modules.

Mar 6, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #15 of 31
Following my earlier comments (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/metrum-acoustics-new-dac-model-flint.877513/#post-14811821), the FLINT has run-in for some days and I thought I would give my impressions so far.

Metrum Acoustics FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO upgrade)

General
My primary use case for this DAC is in an Office System, which consists of an iMac running Audirvana (SoX), USB out to an Armature Hecate DDC (European version of the Singxer F1), then S/PDIF coax to the DAC and RCA out to a Schiit LYR2 hybrid amplifier, which is fitted with GE5670W tubes (via 6922-5670 adapters). Headphones were primarily MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Open, although I did also try Sennheiser HD-650 and Massdrop HD-58x.

Music is mostly acoustic jazz, classic rock/pop and some classical. 16 and 24 bit FLAC & ALAC.

Overall Sound
This is the first time I’ve listened to a NOS DAC and I wasn’t sure what to expect. Out of the box, I initially felt that the sound was very much on the warm side. It does benefit from some settling down (as did my ears/brain) and I could sense the sound becoming more refined after a few days of being on 24/7. Metrum’s recommendation for the higher models is 3-4 weeks ‘run-in’ and since my upgraded FLINT has the same DAC TWO chips, a similar period may apply (although there is nothing stated on their website).

It’s quite a difficult sound to describe. Some may say the sound is simply warm but I don’t think that’s quite right. IMO warmth tends to dull down dynamics and low-level sounds. The very low noise-floor on the FLINT reveals excellent low-level background clarity and exquisite tonal character detailing across all instruments and voices.

I would describe the overall sound as smooth, flowing and articulate, providing a relaxed listening experience. It is somewhat reminiscent of vinyl although a tad softer in presentation, by comparison.

Lows
In general, there is good detail and above-average weight and punchiness. Attack is fast.

Double-bass (and bass-guitar) goes deep, remains tuneful and is easy to follow. It’s never just a ’thud’. The chord-tones are a delight to listen to.

Drums ‘thwack’ hard and convincingly. Pedal-bass-drum gives out a good, deep and weighty tone. Tom-toms ring out as they should and decay remarkably well.

Good album examples are, Trilogy (Chick Corea Trio) … Brian Blade and Christian McBride unleash their respective arsenals of sound on drums and double-bass and the FLINT portrays them very well.

Low-notes on piano have a satisfying, deep ‘grrrrrunggg’ and decay impressively.

Back-ground reverb is notably deep and obvious. The album Pindrop (Adam Ben Ezra), the reverb is quite startling. The same with the edgy Titok (Ferenc Snetberger) album, reverb also sounds impressive here.

I felt that I might be nudging the limits of the Aeon Flow Open headphones, as far as bass is concerned. Perhaps, something like the Ether-2 might be a better pairing here. Then there’s the cost !

Mids
The stars of the show here are vocals and piano. Vocals sound natural and clear. Piano figures a lot in jazz but it is sometimes hard to listen to. For instance, block-chords in the upper-mids can sound uncomfortably shrill, but that is not the case here. The same applies to vibraphone.

Nuances are revealed clearly and are easy to hear. Guitar (both electric and acoustic) are examples here. The album, Guitar Band – Bob Reynolds is a good recording and the FLINT conveys very well the high degree of expressiveness by the guitarists and Bob Reynolds on saxophone..

Highs
Similar comments to Mids apply here.

Cymbals splash well, although I am used to a bit more airiness and sparkle.

Soundstage
The stage is forward and wide. It is not as deep as I’m used to hearing but it’s not flat either. The positioning of the instruments is particularly precise and the layering into the stage gives the impression of a reasonable depth. The instruments at the back of the stage are balanced nicely and are still clearly audible.

Album examples, Live at the Village Gate (Clark Terry) … good imaging and ambience.

Passion, Grace and Fire (Paco de Lucia) … wide stage with good imaging.

Pairing
It’s clear to me that to get the most out of the FLINT, it does need reasonable equipment to be paired with it. This is most apparent when it comes to headphones. I tried the Sennheiser HD-650 and Massdrop HD-58x. However, when compared to the Aeon Flow Open, I found them lacking in their ability to satisfyingly convey the sound characteristics presented by the FLINT. Perhaps even the AFO are slightly too warm for the FLINT although I do dislike bright headphones. The LYR 2 amplifier seems a reasonable match and it is possible to tune the sound of this via tubes. Perhaps a LYR 3 might be better still.

Recording Quality
The FLINT is revealing of not-so-good recordings, engineering or mastering. In some cases the sound quality dropped significantly, particularly with low-level detail. In some cases, the sound just fell flat. It was easy to tell the culprits apart. However, I am astounded how much detail can be revealed on good-quality red-book albums.

Conclusion
I have to keep reminding myself that the FLINT is Metrum’s entry-level DAC in their line-up. The clarity, detail and character of instruments and vocals is quite arresting and it does beg the question how much better the quality is with the higher-end models, like the ONYX. Improvements I would look for are a bit more general airiness and the stage being just a bit further back … but I am nit-picking at this price point.

In short, I found the FLINT to be engaging and addictive. I experienced no fatigue over many hours of listening. In fact, I have listened to nothing else since it arrived. I try to avoid superlatives but it’s quite hard to do that with the FLINT, particularly given the sound quality in its market positioning.

A recommended audition if you’re looking for an entry-level to mid-level DAC, where sound quality is more important than looks and frills.

Next Steps
I’d like to try the FLINT with the MJOLNIR 2 and do a comparison with the GUNGNIR Multibit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back