Metrum Acoustics Musette NOS R-2R DAC (2015) Discussion thread
Nov 1, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #61 of 239
nimmen

Jacksond and dubstep it's all very well. But how about something like this:

Did you feel, you want to shake your head like never before and scream "Aaaaah!!!"?
L3000.gif

I heard Metrum products sometimes lack in agility. That can be an issue with fast agressive genres.

Well, if noise/pe or breakcore counts as agressive... for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LN7W3EtRMg or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr2VFwtVhpg
I did notice more difference when using tube or transistor amp rather than dac changes, but musette does seem to add some clarity, did not notice timing/dynamics issues you seem to suggest with "agility".
Cant say i listen much to "agressive" genres at home, i usually prefer live performances, for me those genres seem more effective that way :)
But i will check some more that kind of music, will report if will notice anything, have a lot of cd's good for musette vs cd(rega apollo) testing.

Nov 4, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #63 of 239
Record session made by user Gibalok on his iphone.

Eximus dp1 record:

Musette record:

Eximus was connected to preamplyfier trough balance output with Saec xr 4000 cord. And to the SOTM with Acrolink 6n AES cable.
Musette was connected through RCA output with cheap DAXX cord (5-7 times cheaper). And to the SOTM with Audio Technica Art Link SD2000 coaxial cable.
Power cord for Eximus was Oyaide Tunami GXP.
Musette- stock

Conclusion:
And what do you think?

I liked the Musette a little bit more. and I could imagine it sounds better with instrumental. Also, RCA vs balanced, and the interconnects matter at this level, for a fair comparison everything else should have been the same. So this comparison makes little value, unless we assume the Eximus had better environment, and I slightly preferred the Musette still. I wonder how the Pavane would sound.

Nov 6, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #64 of 239
I am a pavane user and today I tried the musette. To me the musette sound just like the pavane in terms of sound signature. It sounds real, like the real people and musical instrument in front of you, very musical, while the soundstage is noticeably smaller then the pavane and the micro details are not as clear as pavane.

Nov 6, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #65 of 239
  I am a pavane user and today I tried the musette. To me the musette sound just like the pavane in terms of sound signature. It sounds real, like the real people and musical instrument in front of you, very musical, while the soundstage is noticeably smaller then the pavane and the micro details are not as clear as pavane.

Thanks! That sounds about in line with the experience I have with other DACs (single vs stacked), e.g. using TDA-1541. Noise floor, sound stage and microdynamics.

Nov 6, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #66 of 239
But given the price difference musette is no brainer, while Pavane is not everybody's cup of tee :wink:

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #68 of 239
the musette is crazy, the music just hit you directly, raw but beautiful, nothing to complaint with it's price.

Wha do you mean raw?
But overall agree.

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #70 of 239
I listened to many other chip DACs with over sampling and opamp output stage structure, many of them are good but have kind of decoration on the sound. Imagine scramble egg, some chef like to add cheese for a heavier taste, some mix milk with the egg to make it silky, some just cook too long and make it a bit dry. Meanwhile Metrum is like using fresh eggs from the farm, cook it with good timing and added nothing to it.
Thats how the Metrum NOS R2R DAC with no output stage feels like to me.

Nov 6, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #71 of 239
I join this question. Tell us, please.

My meditation is over. Musette is on the way from dealer :cool:
Great news. I remember some posts you had a few months back when we were both looking for dacs. Is the first dac you've picked up dice that time?

Seems like s great one to stop at.

I ended up getting a second hand Hex before I got a chance to listen to the musette and that is fantastic

Nov 6, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #72 of 239
Great news. I remember some posts you had a few months back when we were both looking for dacs. Is the first dac you've picked up dice that time?

Seems like s great one to stop at.

Thank you. Yep, i sold my NAD D1050 in the midle of summer, and since that time was DACless. It was the dark times, age of pc build in audiocard 
tongue.gif
  But now it's over- delivery service tracking shows, that Musette should arive much earlier, than expectet, maybe even tomorrow. So i'm in big anticipation to hear the "RAW" madness with all my music collection
devil_face.gif

I ended up getting a second hand Hex before I got a chance to listen to the musette and that is fantastic

Congrats. Hex is step forward from Musette. And second hand with reducet price could be a nice deal.

Nov 8, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #73 of 239
I am thinking about getting a second hand Chord Hugo or this metrum new baby for my new speaker system at home...So hard to decide! Actually my Pavane is going to move back home few months later, buying a Musette seems like a silly decision (need to sell the Musette after the Pavane is back and will lost some money). The SQ of hugo can't really compare with Musette IMO but I can bring it anywhere so this product won't overlap with my Pavane.

BUT I REALLY LIKE THE SOUND OF METREUM DAC
deadhorse.gif

Nov 8, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #74 of 239
I am thinking about getting a second hand Chord Hugo or this metrum new baby for my new speaker system at home...So hard to decide! Actually my Pavane is going to move back home few months later, buying a Musette seems like a silly decision (need to sell the Musette after the Pavane is back and will lost some money). The SQ of hugo can't really compare with Musette IMO but I can bring it anywhere so this product won't overlap with my Pavane.

BUT I REALLY LIKE THE SOUND OF METREUM DAC :deadhorse:  
I don't normally say this but you know out of those two options you should take the Hugo.

Play with the Hugo in the few months that you're waiting for the pavane to arrive.

And then You'll have both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back