Metal/Progressive Rock/Alternative Rock/Post Rock IEM
Jan 16, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #61 of 91
Hey PocketSmiley,

Thank you for the feedback.

I have taken a look at your test. It seems to be too specific for me to judge any set of headphones based solely on its outcome. It also does not mention any of the headphones in my finalized list.
I, however, understand that this test works for you as you are looking for that specific characteristic.

Since I have no way of testing firsthand how any IEM sounds, then the best I could do is run a proper research into the matter, which I have, and it has helped me in narrowing down my options. The fact that those options are close to the $400 price point does not mean that there aren't cheaper IEM's that provide good quality, but simply that for my price range those where the ones recommended by people who have tried numerous headphones, both cheap and expensive. It is obviously impossible for everybody to agree on a single IEM, but since this is the consensus, I'm deciding to go with it.

By the way, Jens Carlsson is one of my favorite vocalists as well :)

If you haven't already, you gotta check out "Dark Empire's" first album, "Distant Tides". He was the vocalist for them as well.

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #66 of 91
Hey Michael172

I did consider the UM3X but winded up going with the W4 because of the way the UM3X's sound signature was described (can't remember what it was specifically 
smile.gif
). How would you describe the sound signature, 3D presentation and sound stage on the UM3X?

Jan 18, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #67 of 91
Excactly as everyone says! Bit bassy. I also listen to metal (Anything from Led Zepp to Megadeth, Nuclear Assault, Testament). I quite like them. W4R was my second choice but went with the UM3X because I thought id prefer the closer sound stage (Sounds great to me) but initially I was searching for forward mids. UM3X apparently had good mids, theyre pretty decent but not forward and in your face enough. Guitar solos and riffs arent emphasized enough and thats what Im looking for. RE262 gave me that from what I remember but they broke. Tempted to return and buy the SE535 although they have a mixed bag of reviews.

Jan 18, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #68 of 91
I agree about the SE535's, the reviews are all great but vary widely. The W4's had the most consistent reviews I've seen from the IEM's I was looking at.

You actually just reminded me that one of the main reasons I eliminated the UM3X was because they were described as somewhat bassy.

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #69 of 91
TL;DR : W4R and SM3v2 are both very fine choice around your budget; get any of those and don't look back.

Disclaimer though, I never owned W4R, but I almost pulled the trigger on it, auditioning/demoing in and mulling back and forth about buying it even though I ended up not getting it. But that being said, the extensive auditioning/demoing left me somewhat familiar with how it sounds.

I've only demoed SM3v2 for a bit. SM3v2's bass hits deeper and lower than W4, but W4 sounds more realistic as a whole package to my ears.

Both might not sound "aggressive" enough for metal though due to somewhat laid-back treble though.

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #71 of 91
Quote:
Do you have any recommendations in my price range that might fit the metal genre better or is the laid-back treble somewhat of a minor issue?

Oh, it's definitely a minor issue, and certainly only when you really nitpick on it. Besides, laid-back treble actually contributes to both IEM's "comfort" for long listening sessions; Laidback-ish treble won't tire your ears out. So again, both W4 (or W4R) and SM3v2 are excellent candidates.

Jan 23, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #73 of 91
Hey guys,

Do you know of any android-compatible good quality cable that has a mic, volume up/down and answer call buttons?

I might get the W4R's instead of the W4's if i can find a decent cable for phone use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back