METAL MAGIC RESEARCH (Thoughts and impressions)
Jun 3, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #721 of 943
Impressions! I need a desktop amp/DAC that can drive IEMs for the office so I can't have anything overly flamboyant so this might be a good option

Some early impressions, very black background, a lil bright out of the box but there's a setting to set it and stock comes with it cranked all the way up and I did the opposite.

Sounds similar to the S1 / Lotoo house sound imo but a lil thinner.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 5:55 AM Post #722 of 943
Impressions! I need a desktop amp/DAC that can drive IEMs for the office so I can't have anything overly flamboyant so this might be a good option
This one’s a more budget recommendation, so it’s probably not something you’re used to. :wink: Have you heard of SMSL’s M500? It’s a wonderful, sleek DAC/amp with a clean, yet playful sound. It doesn’t have the biggest stage or the cleanest separation, but it’s got this bigness and height that makes music super fun to listen to. I’ll have a double review of it and SMSL’s SP200 amp coming out soon for Apos Audio.

Jun 3, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #723 of 943
This one’s a more budget recommendation, so it’s probably not something you’re used to. :wink: Have you heard of SMSL’s M500? It’s a wonderful, sleek DAC/amp with a clean, yet playful sound. It doesn’t have the biggest stage or the cleanest separation, but it’s got this bigness and height that makes music super fun to listen to. I’ll have a double review of it and SMSL’s SP200 amp coming out soon for Apos Audio.
I need to do some research. I think where amps and DAPs and DACs are concerned I've kinda settled into a more budget category since I mostly look at them as tools (I don't get the same pleasure of ownership as I do with IEMs). The MHA150 was a notable exception to that rule with 0 regrets haha :D

I'll have a look though, thank you for the recommendations! <3

Jun 3, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #724 of 943
I need to do some research. I think where amps and DAPs and DACs are concerned I've kinda settled into a more budget category since I mostly look at them as tools (I don't get the same pleasure of ownership as I do with IEMs). The MHA150 was a notable exception to that rule with 0 regrets haha :D

Topping D90/A90 stack would be another option to consider perhaps.

Jun 3, 2021 at 6:35 AM Post #725 of 943
Topping D90/A90 stack would be another option to consider perhaps.
I had the A90, but actually found it way too transparent for my tastes. The music felt somewhat too "floaty" and light - I know it's the kind of sound that a lot of the community is after but I personally like a little more body

Jun 3, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #726 of 943

This is also me, down to a S1 & Sony NWA100 for my portable setup and even then I've only brought them out twice. Most of my 'proper listening' is when at my PC hence the desktop dac/amp purchase.

Air Pods and my phone takes up 95% of my otg time. If I'm walking about I'm not going to be any having any proper meaningful listening session and bringing out an extra device+dongle and iem case vs just Air Pods makes no sense to me. Not to mention how absurdly large some TOTL daps are getting.

Jun 3, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #728 of 943
Sorry to spam, it just amazes me how much of a difference power makes.

Notes just sound more solid on Thummim now, not as ‘floaty’. Stops when it needs to, very snappy.
The Thummim does that especially when you feed it enough power. I've been postponing selling off a bunch of stuff but as soon as I do it's coming straight back home <3

Jun 3, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #729 of 943
Pw audio Metropolis 1950 arrived this morning. ^^

Attachments

• 20210603_132308-01.jpeg
    20210603_132308-01.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Jun 3, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #730 of 943
The Thummim does that especially when you feed it enough power. I've been postponing selling off a bunch of stuff but as soon as I do it's coming straight back home <3
+2 if you have a Thummim you need power, if you tried the Thummim and passed on it without power I think you may want to have another listen with power. Huge difference to my ears not a subtle difference.

Only tried the C9 as the Amp so it could be other Amps will do the same for the Thummim.

The synergy with the C9 could be a factor, and since it sounds awesome to me, I am done on Amp search.

Jun 3, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #731 of 943
+2 if you have a Thummim you need power, if you tried the Thummim and passed on it without power I think you may want to have another listen with power. Huge difference to my ears not a subtle difference.

Only tried the C9 as the Amp so it could be other Amps will do the same for the Thummim.

The synergy with the C9 could be a factor, and since it sounds awesome to me, I am done on Amp search.
One of the things that bothers me about the Thummim is exactly this. Does not sound right off the PAW S1, and a lot of my listening is on it :/

I found it does very well off the PAW6000, but the LPGT was a clear step above that, the P6 Pro sounded exceptional with it too (probably the best pairing for the Thummim that I've tried), and obviously stuff like the MHA150 that made it sound like it came from a different planet haha

Jun 3, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #732 of 943
One of the things that bothers me about the Thummim is exactly this. Does not sound right off the PAW S1, and a lot of my listening is on it :/

I found it does very well off the PAW6000, but the LPGT was a clear step above that, the P6 Pro sounded exceptional with it too (probably the best pairing for the Thummim that I've tried), and obviously stuff like the MHA150 that made it sound like it came from a different planet haha
P6K and P6P, to my ears using either of these line out to the C9 and... It is not that it is bad without the C9, for me now that I heard the value the C9 adds to pure enjoyment, I am not using the Thummim without the C9.

What I do not know is if lower cost amps would do well here. Could be the careful design of the C9 and the impact on the transients can only be matched or exceeded by amps that cost more and are less transportable.

To my ears the C9 from LP6K is plenty enough awesomeness. P6P offers only a slight improvement on the setup, much less of a difference compared with Traillii as the test IEM connected directly to these two DAPs, the difference between LP6K and P6P without C9 is much more apparent.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #733 of 943
@mvvRAZ What's your approximate size/price range for a desktop dac/amp - presuming you want a single component that contains both? I would look at Schiit's offerings, and possibly the JDSlabs stuff. I sell neither, and am not sure what's easily available in Europe. Both are well regarded brands that commonly attend meets and CanJams and I recommend both quite highly. I will completely refrain from public comment on brands I sell, even those I cannot sell outside the USA.

Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #734 of 943
So... Balmung is out of the bag and Joe's given me the ok to post impressions. Had the uni for about a few days for pre-release photographing, of course, couldn't resist a listen too :)

I'm also very flattered some think the photos are renders! I've still got a long way to go and think that MMR designs really speak for themselves. Unfortunately, due to time constraints, I don't have much more to share here other than that showcased on MMR's own platforms. I will share one of my favourites from the shoot below, the faceplates are simply gorgeous:

DSC01221.jpg

Full post is here, not nearly as articulate as Dan's descriptions, but I'm hearing similar things. This is a very well-balanced sound with a powerful, warm and full-bodied voicing. While it is characterised by its exemplary coherence, imaging acuity and reinforced note structure, the Balmung simultaneously pumps out hugely impressive note texture alongside strong vocal definition and extension. It also has a sharp, snappy transient response, highly accurate localisation and excellent layering flattering both the note and the room and space surrounding.

Frequency Response measured to simulate deep-fit:

MMR Balmung.png

The beauty of the Balmung is that it's a pretty versatile recommendation. If you like an even, linear and balanced sound, the Balmung takes such a presentation and moves the dial one step further to the warm and engaging side; but it also doesn’t stray too far into it to alienate listeners who prefer such a balanced sound. Conversely, if you like an engaging sound, the Balmung will surely impress with its gutsy bass and immersive staging. Who this isn’t for is those wanting a perfect reference or revealing/bright signature as its presentation is so clearly on the coherent and structured side. Happy listening folks!
Lovely shots Ryan. Those faceplates look amazing. What kind of camera gear are you using, btw?

Jun 3, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #735 of 943
Concerning PW Audio Metropolis 1950s w Thummim:

Cable is thicker then I imagined it to be but synergizes with Thummim exactly as I hoped for. No need to eq ~ 100hz by -2db (q 0.7) so no midrange vailing or bloatiness at any point and treble brightness now makes Thummim rather balanced in my opinion.

Vs Eletech Plato , I find it to be technically superior in imaging and detail while soundstage seems about the same in width , not sure yet about depth however.

It has amazing fast transients, note precision , and control especially in the low end.

Also as of yet I didn't find it having a darker background vs Plato.

In direct AB comperison Plato sounds somewhat vailed , especially in the midrange / vocal area.

From memory of spending time with Iliad it is a much different cable then it.

I found Iliad smoothens and relaxes the sound, giving it an analogue sweetness.

Metropolis 1950s does much of the opposite. Notes have sharp bite, and keeps the sound transparent to the original (at the cost of coming off harsh in comparison to Iliad at times.)

Thats all I can muster for now , but so far I'd say it is a great match with the Thummim.

Still very eager what Eletech will present in a few days time though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back