METAL MAGIC RESEARCH (Thoughts and impressions)
Mar 1, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #77 of 943
The homunculus is particularly terrible. The "disc" was sharp and felt like it could cut my ear.
I guess it will depend for each. I got very small ears, and fit is done properly without pain. But I went through a large amount of tips.

Mar 13, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #78 of 943
I tried the Thummim at CanJam in Manhattan three weeks ago and have been dreaming about it ever since. I love my U18t and prefer it over everything from JH, Noble, Empire Ears, and all of the IEMs I've owned and tried at the show -- except for the Thummim. It addresses the few quibbles I have with the U18t. For example, the U18t's all-BA design means its bass is a little squishy compared to a tightly-tuned dynamic driver. I actually prefer the Z1R's sub-bass over the U18t.
But the Thummim is one of those products that seem to do it all. Its technical aspects were flawless, with what seemed to be a very linear response throughout, excellent and musical tone, appropriate energy, and a wide but controlled soundstage (unlike, say, the Fourte). I was lost in the music and forgot to 'analyze' almost instantly.
Why oh why do I always seem drawn to a product only to discover it has a sky-high price?? $4500 is a lot to swallow....but it is a very exciting new IEM. I thought the Homunculus was merely quite good whereas the Thummim is a true TOTL option. Interested in others' opinions...

May 18, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #80 of 943
Just got a delivery and had to take a few shots to share in this thread because it is so completely unique (have not even had a listen yet :wink:):
IMAGE_01.JPG

IMAGE_02.JPG

IMAGE_03.JPG

IMAGE_04.JPG

IMAGE_05.JPG

May 18, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #81 of 943
Just got a delivery and had to take a few shots to share in this thread because it is so completely unique (have not even had a listen yet :wink:):
IMAGE_01.JPG
IMAGE_02.JPG
IMAGE_03.JPG
IMAGE_04.JPG
IMAGE_05.JPG
Niiiiice! I have a review unit arriving as well and the doorbell just rang... brb

May 18, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #84 of 943
Proper nerdgasm moment... I love the whole alchemy/Illuminati theme they’ve implemented in the packaging and through the rest of the lineup

Listening to them now and already loving what I’m hearing!

Attachments

• B5004857-D7B1-45DE-8DF6-6D8065068351.jpeg
    B5004857-D7B1-45DE-8DF6-6D8065068351.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • DE23E93B-5CB0-4825-8DF1-A0FAB0FA9850.jpeg
    DE23E93B-5CB0-4825-8DF1-A0FAB0FA9850.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 27621AB7-AE8F-4518-A1F3-4E432521469A.jpeg
    27621AB7-AE8F-4518-A1F3-4E432521469A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
May 18, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #87 of 943
interesting, how is the fit
They sit well in my ears, but I can't get the insertion to be just how I want it yet. Much more comfortable than they look that's for sure

May 18, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #88 of 943
Okayy let's go with some preliminary impressions of the MMR Thummim

Since 2019/2020 is a sort of reviewer wars season, the MMR Thummim has been sent to me in exchange for an honest review - I will however have to send it back in a few weeks should I choose to not purchase it, but (spoiler alert) the only way I'm sending this back is if I go deaf between now and tomorrow somehow. No incentives for a positive review have been provided

The first thing that most people are concerned about is the fit - the rough edges and large shells don't look especially inviting, but I personally found them to be quite comfortable after experimenting with a variety of tips. I don't even have "break in" discomfort (which I had with both the Andromeda and the Z1R) and I'm saying that after having had them in my ears for the past 6.5 hours without taking them out for more than 10 minutes

Writing impressions of the Thummim is something I'm finding especially difficult because of how obsessed I've become with them over the course of the day. They're quite simply put one of the most magnificent pieces I've come across

The bass is on the slow side - extremely drawn out decay, very reminiscent of the IER Z1R. The midbass on it feels a bit more pronounced than that of the Z1R however, slightly punchier. The subbass is exceptional, with amazing texture and rather elevated presence. Might just be my favourite bass presentation out of anything I've heard. I'm also glad MMR decided to be bold with the DD tuning and let it do what it does best

The midrange is quite simply put the best BA midrange I've ever come across. It is thick, textured and relatively neutral in quantity. The bass and treble both have a lift, pushing the Thumimm towards a gentle V or rather, U shape, but as far as raw mids are concerned, I don't think I've heard much better except for those of the VE Elysium. The Elysium has flat bass, elevated mids and rather flat highs, which give it the midrange much more attention than what it gets in the Thumimm

Joseph over at MMR has been able to create a monitor with not only my favourite bass, but also what might just be the best treble I’ve heard to date. It balances sparkle and speed really well, making both EDM and live performances/rock/metal extremely pleasant to listen to

The good news don’t end with the tonality however, as the Thumimm is very technical. The staging is nothing short of incredible, being both wide and holographic. The only other IEMs that have been able to impress me as much are the 64 Fourte and A18S. It is also very detailed, with excellent separation - the A18S still retrieves a bit more detail than the Thumimm, but let’s face it, the A18S is in a league of its own where detail is concerned

Full review with packaging, cable and all the cool tech in the Thumimm coming soon!

IMG_6389.JPG

May 18, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #90 of 943
The packaging is pretty damn awesome, I like it much more than the typical Hi-Fi Luxury packaging. The case doesn't look like the most practical, but I love it anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back