It says 5.1 in the description, must be garbage
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2010 at 9:02 AM Post #3 of 18
Features Include:

* Amazing sound quality *

i stopped reading from here.

Jan 21, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #4 of 18
not that im comparing, but Shure said the 440 would be AMAZING too...and it was

thing is, this specific set has been out for a few months already and has nice reviews. Comes with that amp and mic, I'll likely get it and review it for everyone

Jan 21, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #5 of 18
Yes please get it and review it
biggrin.gif
Comparison to the 440 would be great.

Jan 21, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #6 of 18
they seem perfect for me. All my favorite sets are versatile sets, that handle all types of music with a good soundstage, look sexy, and are portable. This a40 MGS version fits all of my needs. I just hope it sounds "usable" for me.

What really intrigues me is that amp. It's incredibly powerful. I am not sure if there is a line in and out on that but if there is, the package is worth it for 250$.

Jan 21, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #8 of 18
I absolutely agree with everything written. That amp is unique. I am curious to know what it can do with other headphones. I just got myself a pair of Shure 750Djs that I'd love to test with an amp like that. Again since I am collector of Metal Gear stuff, I may pick this package up, but it wont be for another few months from now. :[

Jan 21, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #9 of 18
Played it all the way till the end on PS1. Nice to see it is still going strong.

Jan 21, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It says 5.1 in the description, must be garbage
biggrin.gif

It's because it uses Dolby Surround. The headset sucks, but the surround unit + amp is rather admirable.

Jan 21, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #11 of 18
Does that mean it will enhance the soundstage of some headphones for music? I mean...thats what its for right? Err....

see heres the thing, for around 140$ I'd love an amp that can handle full sized cans and give it a surround sound boost, hell even a nice boost in general. Hard to find good small amps that power full sized cans well

Jan 21, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #12 of 18
Review the amp with other headphones. Sell the headphones that come with it.

Jan 21, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does that mean it will enhance the soundstage of some headphones for music? I mean...thats what its for right? Err....

Basically. It uses Dolby Headphone preset 2. It does a good job of mimicking a "generic" listening room. It does an extremely good job of mimicking surround sound too, considering the cost. It's closest to a poor man's Headzone.

Quote:

see heres the thing, for around 140$ I'd love an amp that can handle full sized cans and give it a surround sound boost, hell even a nice boost in general. Hard to find good small amps that power full sized cans well

I can understand that. If you want to learn about Dolby Headphone and some of our attempts at a silent HT (or mimicking speakers, DH does that).

You'll find a lot of discussion on it:

here

and

here

On the first link Edwood even does a comparison to the Realizer. Prepare for quite a read since it's definitely a love it or hate it type of tech.

Jan 21, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #15 of 18
The A40 headset sucks for music. They make me want to scratch my eyeballs out. They are good for gaming but not amazing there either. The mix amp has very little power. You need pretty sensitive cans. I know it couldn't even come close to driving my HD650s when I had them. There is a great review on the MLG forum of lots of cans used with the mix amp. As soon as I get my M50's Ill try them with the mix amp. I dont think the whole setup is worth $250 at all. I was lucky though and got the whole deal for $100 on craigslist. Id try to find the mixamp separate if I were you.

And why would someone not take MLG seriously? I guess you have to be a gamer to understand. Just like folks dont understand audiophile I guess. Im both but lean my expertise towards gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back