Metal compact cassettes
Sep 17, 2002 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mbriant

Headphoneus Supremus
Even though I'd probably only use it once a year, I've always wanted a high end Nakamichi cassette deck. Now that the format is going the way of the reel to reel, prices have become quite attractive and I've located a nice ZX-7 in my neighbourhood.

It's my understanding that metal formula tapes yield the best results, but I've been searching around and haven't found much in the way of availability. I did stumble upon a place that still sells the ultra high end sony ceramic shelled metal tapes, but they're a little expensive.

Do they not manufacture metal tape any longer?

Does anyone know where it may still be purchased?

Thanks.

Sep 17, 2002 at 8:14 PM Post #2 of 7
I thought Sony still did metal tape, but can't find any.

I saw the MA metal tape at TDK website

Sep 17, 2002 at 8:30 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks Beagle. I must be losing it because I could have sworn I looked at a TDK website yesterday and there wasn't any metal tape. Perhaps I went to a selective TDK site from a retail link or something. Anyway, at least I know it's still being made.

The 110 min. length is a little strange. I know everyone used to say shy away from 120 min tapes because the film was thinner and prone to jamming the deck. ( or slipping perhaps?) I wonder if 110 min. length still allows for standard film thickness?

Sep 26, 2002 at 11:34 AM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for the info Edwin. I stumbled upon the Sony ceramics a couple of weeks ago by doing a general "search". When I saw the price of $17.90 ea., I took a pass. I'm afraid I didn't mark the site however. I'll see if I can find it again.

Sep 26, 2002 at 4:39 PM Post #7 of 7
mbriant--

Check J&R Music website www.jandr.com

They are located in NYC. I used to buy metal tapes there in the "old days" -- before minidisc and CD-R
tongue.gif

Their prices were pretty good. Last time I was in the store, they still had quite an extensive selection of cassette tapes.

balcar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back