meta42 max-out
Oct 2, 2002 at 12:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

LTUCCI1924

Headphoneus Supremus
Its on the way and I should have it in 2 or 3 days. I dont know what the stuff in it is but here it is.

Elna Cerafine 470µF/25v PS caps

AD8620 op amp

Stacked output buffers

Alps Blue 100K ohm potentiometer

Vishay/Dale RN55D resistors

Class A

WIMA box caps

Belden teflon coated 22g wire

Blue LED

What does anybody think about this amp? Please tell me for I know nothing about this stuff.

Oct 2, 2002 at 1:04 AM Post #2 of 11
basically, that amp equals my amp, except I don't have cerafine caps. Its an awesome amp, the sound stage is huge, and the hi frequency detail and extension are awesome. As soon as I get a digicam, I'll right a full review.

Oct 2, 2002 at 2:30 AM Post #3 of 11
andrzejpw
HI: wow you really have me excited about my amp. Would the cerafine caps make much difference over what you have in your amp? Your amp sounds fantastic. If you ever have the time could you tell me what all this stuff means or does in the amp. I think the AD8620 op amp is a good one from what I have read but I really don't know anything about all this stuff but would like to know what each thing does and what grade it is and how each thing functions in the amp. Thank you for your replay. I cant wait till I get this amp.
PS
I am looking forward to your review on your amp.

Oct 2, 2002 at 2:53 AM Post #4 of 11
hey, im as lost as you are when it comes to amps LTUCCI, andr... if u could send some info my way because im confused
confused.gif
thatd be appreciated
biggrin.gif
(links work)

Oct 2, 2002 at 3:00 AM Post #5 of 11
Here you go...

Elna Cerafine 470µF/25v PS caps
Good caps, but in this case in power supply path, may or may not improve the sound over non-cerafine. basically capacitance (larger - better) and dI/dT (higher - better) are important. Responsible for delivering juice to the amp during high current demand like drum passage).

AD8620 op amp
Good op amp, many people like sound coming from it
The heart of the amp.

Stacked output buffers
You got two off each, piggy back, improve current capacity delivered to the headphone and lower impedance.
sorter battery life

Alps Blue 100K ohm potentiometer
Top pot, value (100k is the upper limit IMO) and configuration (shunt, rheostat, etc) is important,

Vishay/Dale RN55D resistors
thermal stability is important

Class A
Do search over the internet, basically biasing of the op amps

WIMA box caps
one of the most important part of the amp, large enough to allow low freq to go through, only foil or paper (mica too)

Belden teflon coated 22g wire
thinner better for input, PTFE best isolating material, <1% sound influence

Blue LED
only esthetic value, try UV led and UV reactive paint in a transparent case
wink.gif

Oct 2, 2002 at 4:10 AM Post #7 of 11
martioz
Thank You so very much for the info on the makeup of the amp. I have a better understand of what all the parts are and do and their value. Thanks for taking the time to respond and explain my non knowledge of this issue. I because of you am a little bit more informed. Thanks again.

Oct 2, 2002 at 4:25 AM Post #8 of 11
JMT
Thank You for the info on the class A explanation. Also thank you for the very speedy service and quickness of building me an amp. I was amazed to hear that the amp was built and sent to me today. I estimate it took about 4 days on your return to do this and I am very grateful to have been able to deal with you. Thanks again.

Oct 2, 2002 at 4:42 AM Post #9 of 11
Cerafines and stacked output buffers - I swear by 'em. But *let the amp burn in*!!! Believe me, the META42 changes quite a bit with some burn-in...

Oct 3, 2002 at 3:43 AM Post #10 of 11
Eric343--

How much burn-in are we talking with a META42? I'm waiting on my Tangent-built META and just want to have an idea. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back