META42: Impressions
Jul 8, 2002 at 8:54 AM Post #16 of 35
What should I do? My budget is very limited, but I'm very interested in the META42.

Should I commission JMT to build the cheapest META42 possible within reason, or build the most "premium" Cmoy possible - I use Etymotic ER-4P.

Which would be more sonically pleasing?

Jul 8, 2002 at 12:01 PM Post #17 of 35
Thanks for the review, Joe! It's put this little amp on my short list for future consideration
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2002 at 1:07 PM Post #18 of 35
Is JMT including crossfeed in his? (Or gain, or any other switches besides power?) I appreciate the descriptions of the sound but would one of you mind describing the amp physically? (Ie, what kind of jacks, what kind kinds of switches.)

It's kind of neat to see JMT stepping up to a more complex design. So many people have amps built by that guy already. I hope the time to assemble doesn't bog him down too much.

Jul 8, 2002 at 2:14 PM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Is JMT including crossfeed in his? (Or gain, or any other switches besides power?) I appreciate the descriptions of the sound but would one of you mind describing the amp physically? (Ie, what kind of jacks, what kind kinds of switches.)

Kelly, the one I have has the following:
•Stepped volume control
•Both 1/8 and 1/4 headphone jacks
•On/off toggle switch
•Yellow LED
• Mini input jack on the side
There is no gain switch and no crossfeed. It's pretty basic......but it sounds fantastic!
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2002 at 2:44 PM Post #20 of 35
Thanks, Joe. Wonder if JMT is building crossfeed in for any of his others yet. Seems it was standard with the CMOYs but not possible in the CHA47.

Anyway thanks for the report. Honestly I'd be buying one from someone except that I want to learn to build.

Jul 8, 2002 at 4:45 PM Post #21 of 35
If you're willing to pick up a soldering iron, you can order the PCB from tangent and only put in the necessary parts for the time being. Then you can added/swapped premium parts as your budget allows. But that's assuming you have the necessary equipment for DIY.

Quote:

Originally posted by HappymaN
What should I do? My budget is very limited, but I'm very interested in the META42.

Should I commission JMT to build the cheapest META42 possible within reason, or build the most "premium" Cmoy possible - I use Etymotic ER-4P.

Which would be more sonically pleasing?

Jul 9, 2002 at 8:56 PM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by bootman
My pics are up.

Nice job! On the amp and the pics. Is that case the same dimensions as the Cosmic?

Jul 9, 2002 at 9:06 PM Post #25 of 35
Hi joelongwood,

Thanks for posting review of the META42. Do you know what opamps JMT used? Was it the ad8610/20 and el2001?

Bootman,

Nice amp! The pot looks like the 'wanna be' alps, is it? How did you get the knob on? The chassis? How does it compare to your other amps?

Jul 9, 2002 at 10:02 PM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by Ken
What is the benifit of a neutrik locking jack?
are they expensive ?

They keep the headphone from pulling out accidentally...
...and they look cool.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back