META42 Blue Portable pix
Oct 16, 2002 at 3:11 AM Post #16 of 30
carlo, I got the idea from Tangent's website about using IC sockets for some of the resistors instead of soldering them in. The resistors that set the gain of the amp are in these sockets, so if you changed headphones or for whatever other reason wanted to change the gain of the amp it could be done easily. The LED resistor uses two single pin sockets. The ICs are also in sockets, so changing ICs is also pretty easy. I bet it's theoretically better if you didn't use any sockets for anything and soldered everything in, but I doubt the difference is very audible. The sockets have gold plated contacts which should help long term.

Oct 16, 2002 at 3:24 AM Post #17 of 30
Nice!
biggrin.gif

So KurtW is our newest (I guess) DIYFSE-er... welcome to the fold
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 16, 2002 at 5:54 AM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Posted by Neil:

Wow, that's almost as good quality as the picture of my META42 Blue.

Hmmm, lessee

Neil's pic:

0014.jpg

MacDEF's pic:

METAfront2.jpg

rolleyes.gif

Oct 16, 2002 at 6:27 AM Post #21 of 30
kurt,
thanks a bunch
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 16, 2002 at 7:05 AM Post #22 of 30
Good eyes Eric...yes that's a high current crowbar diode to protect against a reversed battery. The board had room for it so I put it in. The volume control is the Panasonic one.

Oct 16, 2002 at 9:19 AM Post #23 of 30
MacDEF:

Cool amp! How's about some pics of the innards.. for us fetishes
biggrin.gif

Nearly got JMT to build me something similar but with an external battery pack but thought against it & decided to get a maxed out META instead. Can't wait!

Oct 17, 2002 at 1:26 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
Hmmm, lessee

Neil's pic:

0014.jpg

MacDEF's pic:

METAfront2.jpg

rolleyes.gif

Ooohhh... The claws are out...
biggrin.gif

All these pictures of META42's are making me want to send JMT a PM and get one myself, but my rather gaunt looking wallet is just saying no...

Oct 17, 2002 at 7:39 PM Post #25 of 30
Same here happyman... I wish I had the cash to buy.

Looks are important to me. I'm one of those people that believe looks affect how much you like something. I believe that if it doesn't look good but sounds good you'll never be truly satisfied. Sound is the most important thing of course but looks come in second or possibly third behind useability..

Oct 18, 2002 at 2:35 AM Post #26 of 30
BTW What is the battery life on this amp?

Oct 18, 2002 at 2:47 AM Post #27 of 30
It draws 12.2mA at idle with a 9v Plainview recharable battery putting out 10.0 volts which is typical. The battery is rated at 170mAH. With music playing on low impedance phones the current goes up to around 13.6mA, giving 12.5 hours battery life. Obviously this will vary with different headphones and how loud you play it, but that should give you some idea.

Oct 18, 2002 at 5:44 AM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

nice travel rig there

Yes, the Headroom Airbag works really well with the Serpac H-65 enclosure. I used a similar system myself for awhile, but then I got a PJB-100 for my portable system. And, yes, I have the Headroom bag for it, too. I highly recommend those bags -- great stuff.

Quote:

Do they make a smoke color?

Yes. Also green, red and (of course) blue.

Quote:

there seems to be a following for two 9v batteries.

Depends on the op-amp and headphones you use. If you use an OPA627 and Senn HD-580s, one 9V just in't gonna cut it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2002 at 7:53 AM Post #29 of 30
McDeff,
Where's the review?? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back