META42 Blue Portable pix
Oct 15, 2002 at 7:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

MacDEF

Headphone Hussy (will wear anything if it sounds good)
Just thought people might be interested in a few pictures. This is a KurtW-built META42 portable amp with the following specs (thanks, Kurt!):

- AD8620 dual op amp
- Cascode FET current sources to operate the opamp in Class A mode
- 2 EL2001 buffers per channel
- EL2001 buffer in power supply with TLE2426 railspliter
- Power supply: 4 470uF electrolitic caps, as well as 2 6.8uF and 2 0.1uF Wima poly caps
- 10 Amp Crowbar diode to protect against a reversed battery
- DC-coupled circuitry
- Sockets for all ICs and "tweakable" resistors
- Blend resistor (a bit like a crossfeed circuit)
- White LED (with socketed resistor to adjust the brightness)
- Output resistors replaced with jumpers (using sockets so you can put resistors back in if desired)

FRONT VIEW:
METAfront.jpg

ANOTHER FRONT VIEW:
METAfront2.jpg

TOP VIEW (the LED is on, but a bit hard to see because of the flash):
METAtop.jpg

IN-USE VIEW -- in a HeadRoom AirBag with a Panasonic CT570 (that's the PCDP remote sticking out):
METAbag.jpg

Oct 15, 2002 at 7:38 PM Post #3 of 30
Colors ! We LIKE Color !

White LEDs , can blind a man if not careful.I use 'em but at WAY reduced intensity,same with the 'blues".Pretty but way too bright.

Not having actually touched a soldering iron in months (OK.I DID repair a headphone cord) I have not done much with chassis/cabinet'enclosure design but when I DO , I am definately gonna do some color.

Looking into some Hammertone colors (blue,green,gold) for my next metal chassis amp , portable amps are'have been set for some time-no need to do more (of course there is Christmas coming up
cool.gif
)

still waitin' for the review dammit
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 15, 2002 at 8:52 PM Post #6 of 30
Those Serpacs are very cool enclosures. That one looks like my travel amp, only mine is translucent red. Nice work Kurt!

Oct 15, 2002 at 11:29 PM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
Those Serpacs are very cool enclosures. That one looks like my travel amp, only mine is translucent red. Nice work Kurt!

Do they make a smoke color?

Oct 15, 2002 at 11:39 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by rickcr42
White LEDs , can blind a man if not careful.I use 'em but at WAY reduced intensity,same with the 'blues".Pretty but way too bright.

Yeah, the white light is bright, but Kurt put a socketed resistor in there so I can adjust the brightness as desired
wink.gif
The nice thing about using a white one is that it's bright enough for me to see from the FRONT of the amp when it's in the AirBag (as shown in the travel rig picture).

Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
I think I see a 9 volt in there. . . Duracell?
biggrin.gif

Currently, yes. Kurt suggested a specific rechargeable, but I haven't had a chance to get one, yet.

Oct 16, 2002 at 2:26 AM Post #12 of 30
I assume you mean the plainview.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for posting the pics, MacDef. Knowing Kurt's attention to detail, I'm sure it performs very well.

I wish someone would make a case like those that had a battery hatch.

Oct 16, 2002 at 2:59 AM Post #15 of 30
mac,
cool
smily_headphones1.gif

kurt,
i love the placement of the led under a translucent case man. would you mind sharing some info about the "tweakable resistor" sockets? are they in the signal path or for the brightness of the led? i was thinking about using a socket in a project to aid with resistor comparisons, but didn't know if there was any sonic effect (or to what degree). your opinions would be much appreciated.

best,
carlo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back