META vs. Cosmic
Jul 4, 2002 at 5:13 PM Post #16 of 36
yep
smily_headphones1.gif

I can't justify its soundstage with the Equinox just by saying how cool it is, it's a must hear type of thing. In a No Doubt live recording, you can just image Gwen singing up front, with the instruments and other good stuff left or right and behind her. It's so freaking neat. Separation and depth is excellent. And this is with my crappy sources! You should hear it with a Cary CD-303/200,
biggrin.gif
eek.gif

Jul 4, 2002 at 5:19 PM Post #17 of 36
Ok, for what it's worth the HeadRoom amps all measure flat and I'm sure the META42 does also.

The reason you think the META42 has a flatter perceived bass response is because people have grown accustomed to not getting as good bass as the HeadRoom amps provide.

I believe the reason for the perceived increase in bass response with the HeadRoom amps involves a clean layout and in the bigger amps seperated power circuitry. This prevents low frequency distortion and crosstalk. It's very hard for anyone to compete with HeadRoom in this department.

Jul 4, 2002 at 5:35 PM Post #18 of 36
Also, I have to question the use of that No Doubt copy as reliable test material. Aside from loud distortion and a tripping Stefani, it's a live recording of not-so-high quality. Plus I have a bias against using pop-rock as source material for judging equipment at all.
tongue.gif

Did you get to compare the two amps using the Mozart or the Mahler CDs I brought?

Jul 4, 2002 at 5:41 PM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

The reason you think the META42 has a flatter perceived bass response is because people have grown accustomed to not getting as good bass as the HeadRoom amps provide.

Au contraire: these descriptions sound like "the Burr Brown sound" to me. And what A&M is describing is the Analog Devices sound. No doubt if you put a pair of OPA627s in a META42, you'd get a similar sound to the Cosmic. I can send you a pair to evaluate, if you like, Kelly.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2002 at 5:47 PM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by tangent
Au contraire: these descriptions sound like "the Burr Brown sound" to me. And what A&M is describing is the Analog Devices sound. No doubt if you put a pair of OPA627s in a META42, you'd get a similar sound to the Cosmic. I can send you a pair to evaluate, if you like, Kelly.
smily_headphones1.gif

Tangent
If this will create a bass performance that will equal or best the MOH/Max in an AB comparrison, then yeah, I'l like to hear it. I've not yet heard a solid state that can. (Note: I'm not a huge fan of the HeadRoom signature for other reasons, but that's a different topic altogether.)

Jul 4, 2002 at 5:54 PM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

If this will create a bass performance that will equal or best the MOH/Max in an AB comparrison, then yeah, I'l like to hear it.

Having never heard a Headroom amplifier, I can't tell you one way or the other on this. I was kind of hoping to get you to do that evaluation for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Send me an email if you're interested.

Jul 4, 2002 at 6:02 PM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Having never heard a Headroom amplifier, I can't tell you one way or the other on this. I was kind of hoping to get you to do that evaluation for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Send me an email if you're interested.

ygpm
wink.gif

Jul 4, 2002 at 6:29 PM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly

Tangent
If this will create a bass performance that will equal or best the MOH/Max in an AB comparrison, then yeah, I'l like to hear it. I've not yet heard a solid state that can. (Note: I'm not a huge fan of the HeadRoom signature for other reasons, but that's a different topic altogether.)

Kelly: I've listened to my meta42 quite alot now and the bass on it is really good. It's as deep and as defined as on the Max IMO.
(I'm using el2008's in the output stage, need to compare with the el2001's also).

Jul 4, 2002 at 6:33 PM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

This is DIY, remember: you can add crossfeed and variable gain if you want it.

Tangent: Ha, I did forget that. But variable gain would be really really messy wiring/switch wise wouldn't it?

Jul 4, 2002 at 6:34 PM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by geom_tol
Kelly: I've listened to my meta42 quite alot now and the bass on it is really good. It's as deep and as defined as on the Max IMO.
(I'm using el2008's in the output stage, need to compare with the el2001's also).

Geom
This is impressive to hear from a Max owner. Is your Max the 2001 model? Also, if you don't mind--could you tell me some of the tracks you use to AB compare the bass performance? If possible I'll see if I can use some of the same tracks.

Jul 4, 2002 at 6:53 PM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

variable gain would be really really messy wiring/switch wise wouldn't it?

For 2 levels of gain, it's pretty inexpensive and straightforward: a DPDT switch, four resistors, and six wires. This is only about $5 in parts.

For 3 levels, you need a DP3T switch, six resistors and 8 wires. Parts are more like $20, and it might be difficult to solder 3 wires into one hole on the circuit board.

It would be better if the board had this feature on it, like Headroom's circuit boards undoubtedly do. I can't say I regret its lack, though.

Jul 4, 2002 at 7:01 PM Post #27 of 36
Kelly:
No it's the older model. It was made around 1998.

When I'm evaluating equipment I try to listen to music I know well and that is well recorded. And it usually ends up being swedish music, here's some cd's that I like alot for this:

Monica Zetterlund: Varsamt
Flask kvartetten: Jag ger vad som helst for lite solsken
Eva Dahlgren: Lai Lai
Uno Svenningson: Under ytan
Lars Demian: Elvis Jesus och Jag

It's a good mix IMO, some orchestral tracks, lots of great vocals, some electric.
The Swedish studios and sound engineers must be good, because I don't often get a swedish record which is badly recorded.

I think you should compare the amps with whatever music you are familiar with.

Jul 4, 2002 at 7:08 PM Post #28 of 36
Geom
That's some obscure music you've got there.
smily_headphones1.gif

That aside, the model of Max I'd be comparing to would be a 2001 model. I don't know much about how the 1998 and 2001 models sound compared to one another but I know that since Danny redesigned them, they're not really the same amplifier at all. I've never heard one of the older models.

Jul 4, 2002 at 7:15 PM Post #29 of 36
Kelly:
Yep, it's obscure in the USA, but in Sweden they're well known and fairly popular artists.
smily_headphones1.gif

I didn't think the redesign of the Headroom amps was that drastic. I thought he redesigned the layout of the circuit boards mostly.

Jul 4, 2002 at 7:16 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

For 2 levels of gain, it's pretty inexpensive and straightforward: a DPDT switch, four resistors, and six wires. This is only about $5 in parts.

Wouldn't you change both the inner and outer loop resistors?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back