Messenger Bag.... Fi!
Mar 14, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #91 of 260
I own a postman bag, it's a genuine bag completely made out of hemp! This is the shizt, it's cheap (less than £40!) with great quality and even better design.
No bohemian out there who will agree with me?!
biggrin.gif

s10043_khaki_1s_hemp_organic_shoulder_bag.jpg
s10043_khaki_4s_hemp_organic_shoulder_bag.jpg

Hemp Postman Bag

Mar 15, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #92 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a little update...

to see which i like better, i ordered this bag in both the brompton midnight color (above) and the hand-rubbed citation sahara:

first of all, they're both really nice, and very well made.

they're not just different colors, but different leathers. the sahara bag is somewhat darker than the one in the photo above. it definitely looks hand-rubbed... it has a worn-in, well-traveled feel with very soft (but sturdy) leather.

the brompton midnight bag has a slight shine to it, the leather feels crisp and new (and stiff). it's got a sleek, sophisticated urban look to it... it feels like a city bag, while the sahara feels more like a country bag... or rather, a well-traveled satchel.

one thing that comes to mind... i will be able to age the blue bag myself, and give it character, whereas the sahara bag comes pre-charactered.

hmmmm.... what to do, what to do.
confused.gif

ended up going with the brown one. it was close, but ultimately the shiny chrome gromits on the bottom of the blue bag were what clinched it. the aged brass ones on the brown bag are much less obvious.

Mar 15, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #93 of 260
This looks a lot like an old postman's satchel. (two thumbs up)

Once upon a time, leather mailman's bags (USPS) were prized and highly sought after, for their construction, and the "weathering" that came from years on the shoulder. I dislike apparel or bags which are "distressed" for me ... I can do that myself with more realism. But in this case, their "distressed leather" looks genuine.

Mar 15, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #95 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChromeJob /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Once upon a time, leather mailman's bags (USPS) were prized and highly sought after, for their construction, and the "weathering" that came from years on the shoulder. I dislike apparel or bags which are "distressed" for me ... I can do that myself with more realism. But in this case, their "distressed leather" looks genuine.

J Crew has a "postal messenger bag".
Men's accessories - bags - "The original" leather postal messenger bag - J.Crew

images_eiec_95_95683_95683_BR0935_tif_247c0a6652a11787.jpg

Mar 15, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #96 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChromeJob /img/forum/go_quote.gif

yeah... i'm not into the distressed leather look either. but this bag is really well done... quality leather and well-made, too. it's just a touch smaller than my old bag, but it's the perfect size for me. and the pockets are just great.

Mar 15, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #97 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ended up going with the brown one. it was close, but ultimately the shiny chrome gromits on the bottom of the blue bag were what clinched it. the aged brass ones on the brown bag are much less obvious.

I love this bag, great choice. If it was two inches longer I would get one myself...

Mar 15, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #98 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyRay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone want to help me decide between these two?
They are on sale for $149.00

australian1.jpg

I bought this one. Got it last week and I really like it. Not as much room as my old backpack, but since I'm not traveling xcountry like I used to, the carrying space is fine. Very well constructed, great company to buy from. I'm happy with my purchase. Thanks Crazy Ray!

Leo

Mar 19, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #99 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by shuttleboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only like professional-looking messenger bags with clean lines.

Jack Spade messenger bags:

10101-907079-p.jpg

8246-594924-p.jpg

Previous Banana Republic model (which I own):

br67121200vliv01.jpg

Would you happen to know if you can buy something that looks like this internationally or in Australia?

This is the closest I've found but I was hoping for something cheaper: http://rushfaster.com.au/product.php...tID=JFOLD-5682

Nevermind, don't think I'm going to find anything, settled on a Belkin Ceylon.

Mar 19, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #100 of 260
I know they are more practical, but I really don't like the ones that have a handle on top as much.

Mar 19, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #101 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSky0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you happen to know if you can buy something that looks like this internationally or in Australia?

Good question. Surprisingly, neither zappos.com or Banana Republic will ship internationally. I don't know if BR has stores in Australia.

I do know what ebags.com does ship internationally. They have an excellent range of messenger bags (but unfortunately they do not carry Jack Spade or BR gear).

Mar 19, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #103 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSky0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is the closest I've found but I was hoping for something cheaper: J.Fold Nylon Messenger Bag- Black - Rushfaster Australia

Nevermind, don't think I'm going to find anything, settled on a Belkin Ceylon.

Sierra Trading Post (my favorite outdoors outlet vendors, with great deals (sign up for their emails, they send add'l discount coupons regularly, early bird sale posts too) and superb customer service) ships internationally, including Down Und'ah.

International Shipping | Sierra Trading Post

Search for, um, Australian Bag, they have several like one posted above. Not sure about the examples you shared, but they frequently more "fashion" oriented products. Depends on when designers/distributors decide to let go inventory of things (search for watches there you'll be amazed by the variety).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palpatine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know they are more practical, but I really don't like the ones that have a handle on top as much.

Very handy for those days when my bag (any bag) slips off the shoulder of whatever jacket I'm wearing. I've learned to NEVER hold my coffee in the right hand (bag side), ever. Sueded strap pads help, but synthetics sometimes slip 'n slide something awful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDGAFFLIN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
e-bags Thunder. This pic is a year old, but only the contents have changed...

Haha, "just the essentials."

Mar 20, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #104 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckyleo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought this one. Got it last week and I really like it. Not as much room as my old backpack, but since I'm not traveling xcountry like I used to, the carrying space is fine. Very well constructed, great company to buy from. I'm happy with my purchase. Thanks Crazy Ray!

Leo

Where did you buy them at?

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #105 of 260
I'm very happy with my TAD Gear Dispatch Bag Sz2

taddb_bk2w_650w.jpg

Enough pockets to keep all my stuff organized, big enough to hold all the crap I lug around on a daily basis, rugged enough to withstand daily abuse and it has a padded compartment for my laptop. The Molle platform gives some room for expansion and the velcro allows for non permanent customization.

and I have a matching backpack too
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back