Messed up cable on my PK3??
Jan 16, 2009 at 6:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Chickenman

500+ Head-Fier
Sorry if this is the wrong catagory to post this, but one day, the cable on my Yuin PK3's got pulled and now they look warped. Its hard to describe, but instead of being nice and straight, the cable is flatter and wavy. I listened to it and it sounded fine, but I'm more concerned about the possibility of future damages.

Well, the question is, what can I do? Should I leave it alone? or place some tape on it to secure it? Thanks guys!

Edit: Pictures

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

Jan 18, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #3 of 9
Having the picture helps. I've had this happen before on other types of rubber-sheathed cables. What's happened is the rubber sheath has been stretched and the internal cables have been forced parrallel to each other instead of twisting around each other. It probably prevents the cable from hanging straight, and I wouldn't be surprised if that ear doesn't give out in the future -- can't say how long. You might prepare yourself to buy another pair sometime in case these fail soon.

I've had my PK3s about 4 months now and I sleep with them every night, so they are pretty durable -- but I also take care of them. I suggest you go to Wal-Mart and buy a pair of Sony MDR-E828 earbuds for $15 (they aren't bad in themselves in a pinch), and use the winding case to store you PK3 in -- they fit just right and will protect them. I keep them in the Sony case in my pouch with my Zune.

Feb 2, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for the reply, but I doubt I'll be able to buy a replace at the moment, so I'll have to find some other alternative, hopefully a little more wallet friendly. How is Fang's service after the warranty period is over?

Feb 2, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chickenman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the reply, but I doubt I'll be able to buy a replace at the moment, so I'll have to find some other alternative, hopefully a little more wallet friendly. How is Fang's service after the warranty period is over?

I think he will sometimes replace at a reduced price after the warranty is over. I would definitely check with him.

Feb 2, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #6 of 9
Poopy sorry to hear it I'd check your warranty and see if your still covered if not its a good excuse to explore alternatives and again sorry about your phones. Enjoy them until they go.

Feb 2, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #7 of 9
I would suggest you try to recable if you can. It's not a very hard task, just soldering two wires for each bud. I will recable the PK3s I bought for a friend soon ( He tore it and the other one has a broken plug). Going to buy some cheap buds from the dollar store and take those cables
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back