mesh covering Grado driver
Jul 11, 2007 at 2:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

lostbobby

500+ Head-Fier
Well, i just had to look at the SR200 drivers, they look just like dieinaFire's 4sale pix:, 'cept they were pretty dirty.

Now, how do i get a nice new pair of mesh cloth things to glue on?

(searched, lotsa threads about the metal mesh behind driver, nothing here).

Jul 11, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd send them to Grado.

For such a small little thing?
blink.gif

Get some suitable mesh from a hardware or fabric stores. and super glue it on.

Really not that complicated.

Jul 11, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #6 of 14
Possibly... from what I've discovered, Grados are sensitive to any change in the housing, even tiny things like different mesh could alter it the slightest bit.

Jul 11, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

If the mesh doesn't match exactly, then it could change the sound, right?

If the mesh were more open, it would be for the better. However, with the amount of plastic in front the driver, the mesh most likely alters the sound very little.

Probably even better off coming up with a way to drill out alot of that excess plastic.

Jul 11, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

I'd send them to Grado.

Actually, i got them back from Grado yesterday, so...

I figure i can live with a little scotch tape holding the old mesh cloth on. I applied the scotch tape *very* carefully. Or peel the mesh circles off my 80's. I remember reading somewhere that composition of speaker grill cloth is very important.

Thx for info, all

Jul 11, 2007 at 9:38 AM Post #10 of 14
The (Grado) mesh has practically no effect on the sound - it's designed not to. But for what it's worth i'd rather use them without the mesh for the simple reason that it's so much easier to get grattle hair out that way. With the mesh, they get in there and stay in there for a long time. I hate grattle >_<

Jul 11, 2007 at 9:42 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the mesh were more open, it would be for the better. However, with the amount of plastic in front the driver, the mesh most likely alters the sound very little.

Probably even better off coming up with a way to drill out alot of that excess plastic.

Could it be that the plastic covers are sized for a specific sound signature? In such a purist item as this where even cables and mesh are so agonized over, it's hard to believe that the size of the holes in the plastic cover was not optimized from the factory...
frown.gif

Jul 11, 2007 at 10:56 AM Post #12 of 14
I'd say go meshless, and just make sure they are clean after use and that you store them in a clean place.

Jul 11, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by lostbobby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, i got them back from Grado yesterday, so...

I figure i can live with a little scotch tape holding the old mesh cloth on. I applied the scotch tape *very* carefully. Or peel the mesh circles off my 80's. I remember reading somewhere that composition of speaker grill cloth is very important.

Thx for info, all

I hope they don't change they drivers. Sometimes Grado just take the easiest solution to fix a problem, regarless of the logic. Make sure they keep the same driver and just add some mesh.

Sincerly, you should have done it yourself instead of throwing money to Grado for this.

I hope they come back in good shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back