Merry Christmas me!....Help me out.
Nov 27, 2012 at 12:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

charlie875578

Head-Fier
So I had some Denon 5000's a couple years ago. Hard times forced me to sell them and my Fiio E11. Downgraded to some Grado 80i's, which I thought would be fine. Hated them. didn't seem like anything to me. But now come christmas, I want to get a good set-up going again. This is where I need help/suggestions because I've been away from serious audio for a little while now. 

About my preferences: I LOVE classic rock, will listen to some rock, punk rock, as well. I listen to other genres, but these are my main concerns. I would like something that doesn't require an amp, but if I need one, I'll get one. Is there a good amp that would be a good desktop amp as well as amp for iPod? Also, I am interested in using headphones with TV. It's only audio out is fiber optic. Is my only option to run fiber optic into a receiver and run headphones out of that (I live in an apartment so I don't have speakers and don't want them right now, but would love to listen to headphones with the TV WITHOUT LOSS IN QUALITY). 

So throw some amp options at me. Throw some headphones at me (Anyone try the Sennheiser Momentums or those V-Moda M-100's which look AWESOME), so I can start doing some good research. Thanks guys!

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
(Anyone try the Sennheiser Momentums or those V-Moda M-100's which look AWESOME),

Right now they are selling at full retail price, so thats one point to consider.

Initially I had the Sony NWZ-E475 (16gb mp3 player) + Digizoid ZO 2 (amplifier) + MDR-V6 (headphones) which sounded great right off the bat. Mp3 files were encoded 256/320, Although roughly altogether it costed me around $250.

Nov 27, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
Hey, I've seen the 770s for a good price with the 250 ohm. Should I avoid these and opt for the 80 ohm only? 

Heya,

250ohm and 80ohm are virtually the same in terms of the headphone, simply a little more amplification (voltage specifically) is needed for 250ohm, and the E17 supplies enough for both headphones. You're good with either one.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back