Meridian G07 badly reviewed, What HiFi mag
May 20, 2004 at 4:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

rsaavedra

Headphoneus Supremus
What's up with What HiFi magazine, or with Meridian otherwise??? The G07 is reviewed in the latest issue, it got 3 out of 5 starts
confused.gif
, within its price range that's not an impressive ranking at all. Incidentally, the magazine wasn't too impressed with the Sony 9000ES either, that one got 4 starts.

May 20, 2004 at 5:31 AM Post #2 of 17
Meridian must not have given What Hi Fi enough advertising this year
biggrin.gif
. Everyone has different tastes. One magazine's review can not be taken as gospel. It really doesn't matter whether they like it or not. If you do, then buy it.

May 20, 2004 at 6:24 AM Post #3 of 17
No I really never take a magazine review as gospel, but I do like to know what reviewers of some magazines think about some hardware. Also, I was under the impression the G07 was no slouch, was expecting it would be one of the price range leading rivals, or at least a 5 start otherwise. Hence my puzzlement.

May 20, 2004 at 2:31 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
I don't trust reviews with a restaurant rating scale.

-Ed

Even zagat style?

I don't trust anything besides my ears so it doesn't matter if something reviews 1/5 or 5/5.

May 20, 2004 at 9:41 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Even zagat style?

I don't trust anything besides my ears so it doesn't matter if something reviews 1/5 or 5/5.

I prefer those small "hole in the wall" gems you find locally. Mmmmmm. Pho.

I like DIY food too.
biggrin.gif

Besides, a 5 point scale is too small, it makes for some pretty generalized reviews.

And yes, like food, audio comes down to personal tastes. (pun intended)

-Ed

May 21, 2004 at 4:29 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

I prefer those small "hole in the wall" gems you find locally. Mmmmmm. Pho.

mmm...pho...it's about time for lunch here on the east coast. Zagat has never steered me wrong. It's a compilation of customer surveys so its good at getting the general consensus of whether it tastes good or not. I think audio is much more subjective and intangible than food is, so an review is much harder to do. I tend not to put any stock in magazine reviews either, however, just because it has a Meridian name on it doesn't mean it's a good product!

May 21, 2004 at 6:36 PM Post #8 of 17
Even hi-fi audio magazines are famous for pulling off REALLY idiotic stunts, like that german one that reviewed HD650s using a $300 level amp and didn't even state their source; claimed the headphones sounded "muddy" because of something entirely caused by associated equipment.

I'd trust certain RETAILERS of hi-fi equipment more than some of those hifi magazines. Especially retailers that understand the concept of "associated equipment."

The best review you'll ever read, by the way, is the one that YOU come up with yourself when you listen to the equipment that you're considering buying. The pair of ears on your head are a hell of a lot more suited to what you're most likely to enjoy than some random dude with a lot of time on his hands in an audio magazine.

For example, tastes vary so widely that some consider the HD650 to be the holy grail of listening on these boards, whilst others think they are dark, occluded, and too relaxed to be invigorating at all (both opinions are correct). An audio magazine will never state the reviewer's tastes, or at least it's difficult to figure out just where the reviewer stands a lot of times.

But that's just me, I'm lucky in that I get to hear everything before I buy (or don't buy) it.

Cheers,
Geek

May 21, 2004 at 7:57 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
Anyone ever considered the possibility that the Meridian player really is just an okay player, with all kinds of hype associated with the brand name?

ampgalore --

That would be the case if Meridian was not such a phenomenal company.
But Meridian is such, so the "hype" you speak of is really non-existent... :)
Even those who dislike the Meridian sound signature respect its quality.

Scott

May 21, 2004 at 9:15 PM Post #11 of 17
What HiFi is the biggest joke in the industry.

If you look at the number of gear they review in each issue, distribute that to the number of employees and hours / day they have for reviewing... you get a really silly number for the duration they'd have time to listen to each components (a few minutes each).

What Hifi probably doesn't listen to but a few components per issue, if even those.

It's just eye candy and re-marketing for people who don't know better.

There is also a high statistical correlation between companies advertising in What Hifi and the review results they get.

No wonder it's the world's largest selling Hifi magazine
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2004 at 9:55 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
Anyone ever considered the possibility that the Meridian player really is just an okay player, with all kinds of hype associated with the brand name?

I've considered it, but I haven't heard it yet, so I really can't say either way.

There's just that assumption from it's past reputation based on other's opinions.

But I love Sushi, and then there are others won't go near anything raw if it isn't a vegetable.

-Ed

May 21, 2004 at 11:25 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
There was a similar thread about this player a wee while back.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah i did mention something about the G07 gettin a bad review. But the thing is, im dubious about What Hifi, i do firmly believe that Hifi Choice does a better review and actually backs it up with the relevant science too. Anyway what I can say is that both mags got it spot on with the Cyrus. There was no way i was going to even consider this. I did honestly have my heart set on that G07 or maybe pushed for the G08. Anyway they reviewed the Cyrus cd8 highly and on that I decided upon a listen...well the rest is history as they say, im well pleased!
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif

May 21, 2004 at 11:38 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Sushi, and then there are others won't go near anything raw if it isn't a vegetable.

-Ed

SIDE TANGENT (redundant?):

Sushi is my favorite food in the entire world, no holds barred.
As a student, I go to my local sushi place three times a week.
Edwood, you are my hero -- sushi is so unbelievably good.

Emory University has a fully functioning sushi bar.
It influenced my college decision, to say the least!

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back