Meridian Explorer - ASIO Set Up
Jun 16, 2015 at 8:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

biggysmalls

Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've just purchased this amazing little DAC and am totally impressed, it works very well with my Thinksound On1. As this is my first DAC, I did a bit of research into the best set up for Foobar etc. and came across ASIO set up.

I went about setting this up, as it was bothering me that all the 3 lights that display what sampling were on permamently without bit perfect sampling set up. The instructions that I followed were off of the following site:

http://www.meridianunplugged.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=186427

Now my questions to all of you are as follows:

1) Is it that vitally important that I select ASIO: Meridian Explorer vs selecting ASIO4ALL v2?

The reason that I ask this is that if I want to switch to my speakers from my headphones, I need to change the Output in Foobar each and every time (Gets to be a bit of a pain in the ass tbh). It seems like just using ASIO4ALL as the output is doing the job just fine, and it switches between the speakers and headphones dynamically.

2) Can I use "Downmix channels to stereo" in the DSP settings to mitigate the fact that ASIO doesn't handle songs that have channels?

I found this out in my FLAC copy of Steven Wilson's HAND. CANNOT. ERASE. Will using "Downmix channels to stereo" cause any unwanted problems or sound degradation?

Thanks so much everyone, within the span of 2 months I've bought the Meridian Explorer and my Thinksound on1's through a set of very fortunate circumstances. I'm still getting to grips with all the nitty gritty things to consider with owner such nice hardware :)

I look forward to your input!

Kind regards,
Biggy

Jul 28, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 2

Firelight

New Head-Fier
From my experience with music production, ASIO4ALL is a generic ASIO driver for use when your DAC/ADC does not have a native ASIO driver. Based on the other one's name, "ASIO: Meridian Explorer", it's probably the native ASIO driver for your DAC. Choosing either doesn't make a difference in terms of audio fidelity as virtually all ASIO drivers offer bit-perfect streams. Native ASIO offers lower latency than ASIO4ALL.

The only reason why music producers prefer ASIO drivers is that they offer ultra low latency for added headroom allowing more time to process CPU intensive production software and for live recording and playback.

Also, if you want to hear sounds from other apps while you're using the ASIO device, you would want a multi-client ASIO driver. FL Studio 12 ships with one. Just download and install the demo version of FL Studio 12 so you can get it for free.

Users who are viewing this thread