Meridian Explorer² Impressions Thread
Feb 2, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #976 of 1,003
Not sure I can help with Squeezebox, sorry. I use Manjaro on a PC and simply type alsamixer in command line to bring up the interface. Then, I press the F6 keyboard button to select the soundcard. Then I adjust the volume.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #977 of 1,003
Wondering if I have a defective unit...

I just picked up an Explorer 2, and it doesn’t appear to be able to fully recognize MQA tracks from Tidal.

There are three lights on my Explorer 2. The top is the mode light. The middle is the 44k/48k audio indicator. The bottom is the 88k/96k audio indicator.

The manual states that the mode indicator light will show white for 44lk/48k PCM audio, green for MQA, and Blue for MQA studio.

However, when playing MQAs tracks from Tidal, the mode indicator light remains white.

When playing a non-MQA file, only the mode light is illuminated. When playing an MQA file, the 88k/96k audio light is illuminated as well... But again, the mode light is white, not green or blue.

My iFi Nano iDSD recognizes MQA without issue, it’s color-coded mode indicator light immediately changes to the correct color when an MQA track is played. Ditto with the Dragonfly Red I used to own.

But the Explorer 2 stays white. Does this sound right?

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #980 of 1,003
Also make sure that you've selected "Use Exclusive Mode" in Tidal settings for the Meridian. If you leave that off you won't get MQA decoding and the mode light will stay white.

And make sure you have "Master" selected in Streaming Audio Quality.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #981 of 1,003
Also make sure that you've selected "Use Exclusive Mode" in Tidal settings for the Meridian. If you leave that off you won't get MQA decoding and the mode light will stay white.

And make sure you have "Master" selected in Streaming Audio Quality.
Hmmm... I can’t find any of those settings. I’m running the Tidal app off a 2018 iPad Pro (USB-C output).

But I have to say, my experience with Tidal MQA playback thus far has been very straight forward with both the iFi Nano iDSD and the Dragonfly Red... If I play an MQA track, both those devices apparently recognize it, because their mode indicator lights turn the appropriate color. No fiddling with any settings necessary...

I thought the Explorer 2 was supposed to be some paragon of easy MQA playback?

Jul 26, 2019 at 12:11 AM Post #982 of 1,003
Hmmm... I can’t find any of those settings. I’m running the Tidal app off a 2018 iPad Pro (USB-C output).

But I have to say, my experience with Tidal MQA playback thus far has been very straight forward with both the iFi Nano iDSD and the Dragonfly Red... If I play an MQA track, both those devices apparently recognize it, because their mode indicator lights turn the appropriate color. No fiddling with any settings necessary...

I thought the Explorer 2 was supposed to be some paragon of easy MQA playback?

I've got the Tidal Windows app in Win 8.1 so I'm not sure if it's similar to Apple's Tidal app.

Anyway, in Windows Tidal app you click the little symbol (looks like three horizontal lines) in the upper left corner of the app, then click file/settings then select Streaming. Scroll down to select Streaming Audio Quality (Choose Master).

Then farther down under Sound Output choose The Meridian Explorer (mine says "Speakers (Meridian Explorer USB DAC audio)".

Right next to Sound Output click "(More Settings)" and toggle on both Exclusive Mode and Passthrough MQA. The Passthrough MQA selection bypasses the Tidal app's first unfold as the ME2 does the full hardware decoding of MQA.

Again, I have no idea if the Ipad Tidal app is similar or not. My feeling is that your ME2 is fine, you'll just have to figure out the settings on your machine.

I also have a Nano BL and it's the same set-up process in the Windows Tidal app as the ME2, although in the case of the Nano, you leave the Passthrough MQA button off as the Nano needs the Tidal software's first unfold to do full MQA as the Nano is a renderer only. I think that's the case with the Dragonfly too.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #983 of 1,003
I succeeded in using the Meridian explorer (v1) with my Samsung Galaxy Note 10, via Usb C and and otg cable, and it's working fine, but only with a couple of app: Onkyo and Teac hires player.
If I use any other app (i.e. poweramp) the output level is far too low.
I tried to modify all the settings, but without any luck.

Unfortunately the Onkyo HF player app has very few volume steps, so it often happen that one step is not enough and the next one is too much.

Any hints?

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #984 of 1,003
B8125614-C123-4090-B6EB-028A988C07CE.jpeg

I solved the issue using the HiByMusic app.
It correctly detects the Meridian Explorer, has many volume steps, and it even manages hires files, see the three leds showing a 192khz file.
No need for a new portable dac and amp then!

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #985 of 1,003
Who owns a Meridian Explorer2 running firmware v1717, normal MQA a.k.a. MQA Authentic (green light) and MQA Studio (blue light) files ( http://docs.7digital.com ) and a Lightning-based Apple device (rather than an HTC or other Android phone) and can test compatibility with no power bank, power bank with 5W (5V @ 1A) input and/or output and/or pass-through / simultaneous charge and discharge support, power bank with 10W (5V @ 2A) input and/or output and/or pass-through / simultaneous charge and discharge support?

According to @RicardoD , it seems that, even though 'Compatibility' is only listed for iPads, the new 'Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter' (MK0W2AM/A in US, MK0W2ZM/A in UK and Europe... ) will work on portable iOS devices as well

I used one of those cheap AliExpress clones for the "Ligthning USB 3 Camera Adapter", these have usually the limitation of 100 mA, apparently the same one as Apple's original, unless connected to an external power source.

In this scenario, the only configuration I got to work is the picture attached. It is mandatory an external power source. In my case the DAC didn't work directly but through an USB hub in the middle (notice feeding the hub with an Y-cable didn't work either, even though the power should be equivalent). The light in the USB hub in the photo helps to undertand when there is power (red) and when there is data properly setup (blue)

FYI - our Meridian Explorer 2 DAC consumes typically 180 mA when no sound. Using headphones to the max volume I have seen it go up to 420 mA apparently.

DSC_3917.JPG

Dec 19, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #986 of 1,003
My Explorer2 recently stopped working. Won't power on when connected to a source. Used several different cables to rule out that as the issue. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I could get it serviced? Or is it not worth it?

Dec 20, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #987 of 1,003
Dec 21, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #988 of 1,003
My Explorer2 recently stopped working. Won't power on when connected to a source. Used several different cables to rule out that as the issue. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I could get it serviced? Or is it not worth it?

Contact the retailer you got it from. If you're still within your warranty period, they'll replace it for you for free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back