Meridian Explorer² Impressions Thread
Jan 7, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #61 of 1,003

My question is: "do they think famous online music stores or average users will start using this over FLAC?"
I don't think so. FLAC takes about 99.7% of high-res music files on the earth.
They can't do much about this.

Flac can be MQA encoded. MQA is not a file format, it's a audio-encoding process applied at mastering. It's not a question of online music stores or average users using it, it's a question of whether they can persuade record labels to use it.

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #62 of 1,003
Maybe if one of the big streamers supported it ... Imagine if they got spotify or tidal (or both) on board ... They could charge extra for MQA ... If people wanted lossless CD quality they can just use at 44.1 then use a standard decoder ... If people wanted the best quality possible they playback with an MQA decoder, it's down to to customer

The key will be making the MQA licensing affordable, so the majority of DACs would support it, not just Meridian branded

Seems to have much better industry support that I imagined ... So I'm hopeful

Jan 8, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #63 of 1,003
Jan 8, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #64 of 1,003

In addition, purchasers of the new Meridian Explorer 2—a portable, compact USB DAC—and Meridian Prime headphone amplifier will be able to enjoy a complimentary three-month trial of the streaming service. Meridian’s Explorer 2 delivers best-in-class audio performance, including compatibility with MQA “Master Quality Authenticated” lossless audio sources.

Wait, what? I wonder how we go about redeeming this promo. It'd be sweet to try out Tidal and MQA.

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #66 of 1,003
Also not clear though if us early adopters/ purchasers would be eligible or only for new buyers from a certain date or store ...

I would not be very happy if I didn't qualify for this. I mean....it's just a trial.  But I am going to be patient and assume that I will be able to take advantage of the offer when Meridian provides more details.

I just double-checked my box to make sure there wasn't any info or a code or something (there wasn't).

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #67 of 1,003
I should add: In the meantime, I am really enjoying the Explorer2 with just plain ol' Spotify.

For some reason, the IE800, in particular, has never sounded better. EXTREMELY holographic, big soundstage.

Having trouble getting work done right now because it is too distractingly great sounding. So I thought I would come here instead
wink.gif

Jan 9, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #68 of 1,003
  I should add: In the meantime, I am really enjoying the Explorer2 with just plain ol' Spotify.

For some reason, the IE800, in particular, has never sounded better. EXTREMELY holographic, big soundstage.

Having trouble getting work done right now because it is too distractingly great sounding. So I thought I would come here instead
wink.gif

Happy to read this, I have an E2 on its way to me, had the E1 which worked well with the IE800 but I know there's room for a little more. The lower output impedance triggered the purchase. 

Jan 9, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #71 of 1,003
"the Explorer2 now upsamples all digital inputs to 176.4/192kHz (if the inputs are lower than 176.4/192)"

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742296/meridian-explorer2-now-ttvjaudio

Jan 9, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #72 of 1,003
  "the Explorer2 now upsamples all digital inputs to 176.4/192kHz (if the inputs are lower than 176.4/192)"

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742296/meridian-explorer2-now-ttvjaudio

You seem to own most of the headphone equipment I want to own/check out! WA etc. 

Can you kindly give me a summary of the explorer 2, did you own the explorer 1?

My Explorer 2 is due next week, for portability I own IE800, MBA and Audirvana. Had the Explorer 1, plus many, many more higher costing DACs but the explorer is super for the outlay.

Regards

P

Jan 10, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #74 of 1,003
Thanks for this info. Seems like excessive power draw is a problem that's plaguing most USB DAC/amps when used with iDevices. Since I plan to use it exclusively with my iPhone 5, at this point I'm leaning toward a CEntrance Hifi Skyn, which incorporates a battery.

I have now managed to hook my explorer2 up to my iPad air2 and using the tidal app

I initially tried connecting it directly to the apple camera connector adapter, in the hopes that the power requirements may have reduced from the first edition but unfortunately not, the normal message from the iPad that the connected device isn't supported.
Then tried with a USB Y cable and separate battery ... still no joy ... the USB handshake must be causing the issue

However, when connected via a small Lindy USB hub ... still using the Y cable and battery, it works fine and iPad audio is routed out via the explorer2

The only problem is, I cannot get the stream to upscale to 24/192 on the explorer2 ... Does anyone know if this is possible or is this another area where 'Apple knows best'?

Jan 10, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #75 of 1,003
Any comparison between the Explorer2 and the Schiit modi 2?  I am on the fence between those two, never heard both..  I currently have the Dragonfly as my main dac in my home rig and want to upgrade.
The modi 2 is also capable to do 24/192 but it is not upsampling..if one wants to upsample he can do it with an upsampler through foobar with much more processing power of the PCU.    
I don't know about the Explorer forcing upsampling.. not that I have something against it, I just prefer to have the choice to upsample or not.   But if the sound is better than I don't mind.
The modi is also much cheaper, so I wonder if the extra $$ worth it for the meridian..  maybe I am just paying for the size and portability (which I don't need).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back