Meridian Explorer² Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Portable Headphone Amps' started by click, Dec 22, 2014.
Tags:
First

Back
49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58
60 61 62
Next

Last
  1. Left Channel
    I got the Pro-Ject box so I can listen to MQA and DSD. It is an amazingly feature-packed little box, and won a European award already so they're hard to find. I've had a lot of fun with it.

Without MQA and DSD, in the same price range I highly recommend the Schiit Magni paired with the Schiit Modi 2 Uber or the Modi Multibit. Great sound quality, and the product names are fun too.

But hey this is the Explorer thread, so I hope someone chimes in here to stand up for it.

Ragnar-BY likes this.
  2. yangian
    For Explorer, you must use USB filter. Even jetterbug can significantly improve the SQ of Explorer.

3. DarwinOSX
    I haven’t found a usb filter to be necessary at all.

4. yangian
    Yes, it's necessary. The improvement is so obvious.

5. DarwinOSX
    I tried one from ifi and didn’t notice anything.
    I did notice their optical version and noticed a difference with my Kef LS50 w speakers.
    I’m using a usb-c to mini usb cable from my laptop with the Meridian.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  6. yangian
    I use ifi iusb with my Director and jetterbug with Explorer. The improvement might be an ear hearing. BTW, The cable is also important. I use such cable for Explorer. BTW, I use optical to a desktop amplifier. Explorer's own amplification is not good at all.
    IMG_0913.jpg

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  7. yangian
    Edit: The main difference with/without the filter is soundstage and separation. If the musics you hear are insensitive to soundstage, it's not easy to sense the difference. I listen to large work orchestra, which are easily detected the difference.

8. Left Channel
    My USB DACs benefit from anti-jitter accessory. But results always depend on your USB signal quality and your ears.

External power is usually helpful too, whenever possible. But again, results depend on the power quality and your ears.

9. Ragnar-BY
    I think USB decrapifiers could be useful, but this depends more on your computer USB quality than DAC. Just for curiosity I want to try USB-filter, no matter what DAC it would be.

Also, can anybody describe how ME2 deals with treble? I`m really tired of my Audinst making sibilants slightly more noticeable than they should be. ME2 treble is more on harsh and metal side, or more like soft and silky?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  10. waveSounds
    I wouldn't describe the ME2 treble as sibilant or harsh. Use mine pretty much daily as a no-fuss work setup; it's a good little DAC. The DragonFly Red tends to receive higher praise, but I've not heard it so can't compare!

chaturanga likes this.
  11. chaturanga
    @Ragnar-BY If you have 400-500 USD budget for a DAC that you will use only on your desktop, you can find very good desktop DACs at that price point. I think they should sound better than ME2, (I don't have another desktop DAC to compare to ME2)

If you want it to be portable also (In case you want to carry it during a trip for example) Meridian Explorer 2 is really good DAC for sure. Chord Mojo is another portable DAC that you can get a better sound and also you can use it as a desktop DAC.

If you will buy to try MQA so Meridian Explorer 2 or Meridian Director (Correction: I was thinking Meridian Director - current name Direct - had MQA support but seems does not) are good choices for you IMO. For me, ME2 is enough for all of my needs. I am using it as a mobile DAC (transport is from Cayin N3 with a single USB-C to Mini USB cable) rather than a desktop companion :)

Update: ME2 is never sibilant or harsh, it's very easy to listen even at high volumes for me.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    Ragnar-BY likes this.
  12. chaturanga
    Do you have Meridian Explorer or Meridian Explorer 2? The latter does not have an optical out, it has Line Out.

13. yangian
    Yeah, I have original explorer.

chaturanga likes this.
  14. yangian
    I have Director and Zdac v2. Both of them are under $500 and both of them are big step upgrade of Explorer. It seems Director is better than Zdac. But with usb filter, separate power and signal cable, it costs more than Zdac.

Ragnar-BY likes this.
  15. DarwinOSX
    I’ve read there are significant differences between the two versions.

chaturanga likes this.
First

Back
49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58
60 61 62
Next

Last