Meridian Explorer² Impressions Thread
Sep 11, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #856 of 1,003
Recently plugged my phones (LCD-2) to ME2 phone output and found that volume is very low. Checked all preferences, different apps, etc.. still the same problem..

I use ME2 MacBook pro (retina 2012), OS is Sierra..

Any ideas?

ME 2 is a wonderful DAC but AMP section is not powerful. You need an amp through line out of ME2, if you want to drive high impedance headphones.

Sep 29, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #858 of 1,003
Meridian Explorer 2 + Cayin N3 excellent combo! Excellent sound stage, clarity, detail, natural sound of ME2 on the go!

Just you need a short USB-C to Mini USB cable. Plug and play. Battery drain of Cayin N3 is very low in this setup.

Oct 13, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #861 of 1,003
Is there any E2 solution for iPhone?

Not directly... the E2 draws too much for an iPhone. I have used a powered USB hub connected to the iPhone. Perhaps a battery pack + USB hub will provide a portable solution?

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #862 of 1,003
Are you able to stream Tidal with your setup?

Yes I am, but Cayin N3 does not support Tidal streaming.

I am able to stream Tidal when I connect my phone and Cayin N3 via Bluetooth. (And, of course ME2 is connected to Cayin N3 and sound comes from ME2).

Sound is not good (not bad too, just eh) because AptX bluetooth can not transfer music bits lossless or bit perfect.

But, that is something at least you can listen with a lower quality.

Oct 23, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #863 of 1,003
I purchased a Pixel 2 and used the USB Type C adapter to connect my Explorer 2. Compared to my LG G5, the Pixel 2 was able to power up the DAC with no configuration settings at all. My Headphones are connected to a Schiit Asgard 2 Headphone amp, I and I was able to stream via Plex, Spotify, and UAPP. I primarily used the UAPP app and the sound quality was excellent. Some minor adjustments to the UAPP app regarding some DSD files I had on my NAS Server, but overall, no major adjustments needed.

Now if I wanted to use the DAC along with headphones sans the Amp, I have to use the provided mini-plug adapter, USB-C adapter, and the USB Adapter I used with my G5 to get everything going.

Nov 9, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #865 of 1,003
I have an Me 2 that I have been using with Grado PS500e's. How do people like with with the HD 650? Enough power?

I am waiting my HD6XX from Massdrop. I am curious to learn, too. My guess is that, it will feed and will be listenable. But surely will not be good as using an AMP.

I have DT770 250 Ohms and I can listen directly from ME2 headphone out but, getting sound from O2 AMP is better.

I was thinking that ME2 could not feed DT770 but it did and it's not bad, it's good enough.

Nov 20, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #866 of 1,003
I've been fine with the Me2 and the 650's. Maybe more power could be better but its certainly enough for volume for me and it sounds amazing especially with MQA.
In this review he uses the Meridian with HD 650's.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/meridian-explorer2-da-headphone-amplifier
Google Meridian Explorer 2 and HD 650 and you will find many other people think they are fine together.
I use mine with a 2017 MacBook Pro with USB-C ports and it would be nice to find a high quality USB-C to USB mini cable. I'm suing one i got off of Amazon but I wonder if higher quality would be better.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #868 of 1,003
Hi, everyone!

I`m looking to change my Audinst HUD-mx2 dac/amp which is not a best pair for my TH-900 headphones. I`m going to buy Violectric V200 amp and ME2 as a DAC, streaming Tidal from my Macbook. I`m interested only in DAC function from ME2. I see a lot of people here saying ME2 is a good DAC. Just want to ensure that I`m not missing anything. Are there any alternative DACs in $400-500 range that would make a significant improvement over ME2? Or maybe anybody have compared ME2 vs Audinst DACs?

Add: I`m going to use it at home only, so it`s not necessary to be "portable"

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #869 of 1,003
Hi, everyone!

I`m looking to change my Audinst HUD-mx2 dac/amp which is not a best pair for my TH-900 headphones. I`m going to buy Violectric V200 amp and ME2 as a DAC, streaming Tidal from my Macbook. I`m interested only in DAC function from ME2. I see a lot of people here saying ME2 is a good DAC. Just want to ensure that I`m not missing anything. Are there any alternative DACs in $400-500 range that would make a significant improvement over ME2? Or maybe anybody have compared ME2 vs Audinst DACs?

Well, there are more features in this one: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/pro-ject-pre-box-s2-digital-impression-thread.858188/ It's not designed to be as portable, but it is small.

Nov 23, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #870 of 1,003
Well, there are more features in this one: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/pro-ject-pre-box-s2-digital-impression-thread.858188/ It's not designed to be as portable, but it is small.
Thank you. I`m not looking for portable solution at all. I`m going to use it at home only. Just like the concept of ME2 - no buttons, no excess functions, just plug and it works. Plus attractive price and good reviews. MQA is a very interesting feature to try, but I`m not sure if MQA is absolutely necessary for me or not. Anyway, better sound would be better :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back