Meridian Director DAC: Anyone here own one?
Mar 7, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #211 of 219
Got my Director in yesterday and have it hooked up to the optical output of my TV streaming from my The Apple TV.

Initial impressions are that the Medidiean does provide a step up from the DAC used in my NAD D3020 but it is a more subtle improvement that I had thought.

With speakers there was was an improvement butt he differences were more discernible over headphones which allowed me to confirm there was an improvement. I plan to let the unit get in more play time before a more serious audition.

Unfortunately I don't have a USB source available in my living room to test the director with higher resolution files. Overall I think Apple Music streaming sounds very enjoyable with plenty of detail and space when compared to their Vinyl counterparts.

I look forward to trying the Director on my tube gear to see if I can get an even more analog sound to the streaming from the Apple TV.

Not only USB power suply, nut also the cable that connect with USB power and the Director is very important. 

Mar 8, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #213 of 219
The speakers I used I feel were pretty high fidelity - the AV receiver was pretty HiFi too (though now that I think back, I only used it as a pre-amplifier with a dedicated external amplifier). But the kicker was using a Schiit Wyrd. The reason I used the Wyrd was as an on/off switch, but I found it was more important in providing a clean USB power source for the Director - I found the DAC (all Meridian products in truth) highly dependent on a clean power. So regardless of source used, either an Oppo transport or my Mac Mini desktop, I was assured it was getting both clean power and a clean USB digital signal if I was feeding it from the computer. I recall the moment I connected this up, because I wasn't really expecting much. The DAC sounded like a significant change to my ears, my prior DAC being a Bifrost Uber. This remained my happy setup for a fairly long time - before the dark days, before the Multbits and FPGA took over 
tongue.gif

Mar 8, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #214 of 219
  Not only USB power suply, nut also the cable that connect with USB power and the Director is very important. 

I agree and failed to mention that I used the Schiit PYST cables along with the Schiit Wyrd. The Meridian products are quite sensitive (or from another perspective quite rewarding) to a good, clean power source.

Mar 8, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #215 of 219
I have a Ravpower battery pack that I can try as an alternate power source for my Director.

I don't imagine it will have a big difference if any since most devices already have capacitors which do much the same as a battery.

Overalll I should be content with the performance of the Director in my setup. It's rare that I use headphones but they are still great for solitary listening sessions and as a tool to evaluate components.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Mar 28, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #216 of 219
I think using a separate usb power supply/filter makes a big difference in the case of the Meridian Director.

I bought a used Meridian Director recently to improve the performance of my 20 year old Micromega T-Drive/T-DAC for non-usb CD listening. Running coax from the T-Drive to the Director, the improvement wasn't as significant as I hoped. In fact, soundstaging seems not as deep/high as before although I do like the subtle improvement in vocal.

I had also purchased at the same time a separate power filter (a cheapo $50 Elfidelity USB filter off a Chinese website). With power filter in the supply path, I hear further improvement in vocal clarity/reduction in sibilance and a very controlled cohesive/confident rendering of various instruments: the Director is delightful to listen to for a long time versus the exciting yet somewhat rougher presentation of the T-DAC.

Further experimentation with toslink in place of coax appears to improve sound stage height/depth slightly in my loudspeaker setup although I think a different DAC may offer better sound stage (at the possible expense of losing that very tempting vocal sweetness/presentation coherency of Meridian's apodizing filter).

Mar 28, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #217 of 219
   I think using a separate usb power supply/filter makes a big difference in the case of the Meridian Director. ...  I had also purchased at the same time a separate power filter (in my case a cheapo $50 Elfidelity USB filter off a Chinese website).

Hi !
i am interested in these usb ps and filters.
Could you provide a link to the filter you mention ?
Do you plan to try any usb power supply ?   which one ?
I see this one on ebay but i do not know nothing about its quality.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Elfidelity-USB-thruster3-Audio-Interface-Hi-Fi-Power-Filter-for-PC-DAC-AMP-/261827131893?hash=item3cf61cf9f5:g:BggAAOSwwpdW3SQ1

Thanks a lot
gino

Mar 28, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #218 of 219
That's the one. I bought it via taobao at slightly lower price.

It uses a 5v 2A dc wall wart which i suppose can be replaced with a better linear supply but that would put you closer to the price range of Schiit Wyrd.

Mar 29, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #219 of 219
That's the one. I bought it via taobao at slightly lower price.

Hi !  Thanks a lot again.  Bought one now.

It uses a 5v 2A dc wall wart which i suppose can be replaced with a better linear supply ...

Lately i have become a little obsessed with power supplies quality expecially for digital devices.   I have a usb to spdif converter about which there is a thread here in the forum.  Some very talented people have modified it heavily and i trust their skills a lot.  In all cases improvements in the power supply (noise suppression, uF increase) have paid in terms of better sound quality remarkably.  Power supply quality is a key issue.   Unfortunately to get really low noise for wide range of Hz is a challenge.  Many single chip regulators have poor performances at higher Hz.  More complex discrete solutions must be used.

.... but that would put you closer to the price range of Schiit Wyrd.

This is also a very interesting unit.   I wonder if it reclocks also the usb signal.   I have already a Magni II headphone amp that i love.
To sound very good it must be left on continuosly ... and it sounds very good.   Great brand indeed Schiit.
Regards, gino  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back