Meridian 808i owners
Oct 23, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #107 of 140
I acquired my Boothroyd Stuart Meridian Audio Signature Reference 808i this month. It is all black. Again, I don't know where I put my digital camera, but I think that I loaned it out to my relatives that are vacationing in Colorado. Not too sure when they will be back though. Hmm.

It looks and sounds gorgeous. Massive as all heck too. So far, I have no problems with mine, but I am not really using it too much either. Right now, I am looking into a whole bunch of headphone or custom IEMs for the holidays so I use my AKG K 701 or Ue-10 PRO with my RS Emmeline HR-2 (AD797).

Sorry, but I need to go to the YMCA to do a second session of PT. I won't be back until around 11'ish tonight. Thereafter, I have some massive company research to do while staying up and on line to read and answer your replies or inquiries in three recent threads of mine. Busy.

This is the best CD player and DAC that I have ever owned thus far. My expectation (theory) has not been let down by Bob Stuart & Co. "Un-frickin'-believably-staggering sound and build quality."

later. PT now.

Oct 23, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #108 of 140
i purchased my G08 used and asked Meridian about warranty/repairs. they said the warranty was only between the retailer and the buyer, so was not transferable, but that they would fix/repair any of their products regardless of warranty for a charge.

Oct 24, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #109 of 140
More comments about my 808i. First, I will need to upgrade my audio rack for these additional components. Second, this is the most analog sounding digital CD player and DAC that I have ever heard (do pass the sea salt) thus far. It sounds warm and creamy smooth, but there is more clarity, micro dynamic shading, and just plain old higher resolution than my Resolution Audio Opus 21 full stack system. All of this is on the regular Compact Disc format. The other difference is the macro dynamic shading. I don't know yet if this is due in part to the strengths of digital over analog in terms of total bandwidth and dynamic range (or lack thereof with contemporary CDs...including classical and opera sigh) or if this is what top tier analog sounds like. It is incredible. Totally awesome. I try to limit my listening sessions on my 808i because it is like taking a trip on some kind of rocket ship, but the thrill is back!

There is not much difference between the CD player and the DAC in terms of sonics. I have to find more time to listen between the two, but that is my initial finding.

Aesthetics wise, it is gigantic. I like the signatures on one of interior panels. I am still shocked when I see it in my bedroom.

"Crazy I am, yes...indeed!"

Oct 24, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #110 of 140
sounds wonderful.
smily_headphones1.gif

you really think for headphone use the 808i is a substantial step up from the G08.

Oct 24, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #111 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sounds wonderful.
smily_headphones1.gif

Indeed! Don't we all want one?

Oct 25, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #112 of 140
I popped in a couple of DVD-Audio discs into my Meridian 808i. Right now, I am listening to an older Sting Sacred Love DVD-Audio disc at 24bit/192kHz with Meridian Lossless Packing (MLP). Hey now, I stopped collecting high resolution SA-CD and DVD-Audio about 3 years ago!

I have to write that with previous DVD-Audio capable players, these discs sounded extremely holographic with precision detail retrieval. In other words, it sounds completely like "hi-rez digital" with all of the derogatory connotations. I still much prefer SA-CD because I listen solely to classical and opera though I do listen to all of the other genres on sporadic occasions. My Meridian 808i is the first to replay DVD-Audio discs in a new manner that is not only exceptionally holographic, but a near foolproof facsimile of living, breathing, music. I have never heard anything like this before.

I am certain that my downstream components will be upgraded over time so as not to sully this major component.

Oct 28, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #113 of 140
Welly,

I heard the 808 was being replaced / upgraded in December 07. That is what my dealer told me as he knows I have been looking at it for a while. He told me to wait. Do you know anything about this??

howie

Oct 29, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #115 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i purchased my G08 used and asked Meridian about warranty/repairs. they said the warranty was only between the retailer and the buyer, so was not transferable, but that they would fix/repair any of their products regardless of warranty for a charge.

x2... I bought a used G07. Called Meridian before hand about warranty and was told the same thing. I bought it anyway
biggrin.gif
I have never looked back, and it runs like a top.

Oct 29, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #116 of 140
My dealer said that he will have a firmer answer to my question later next month. He said that there may be a controller card upgrade along with the obligatory firmware updates, but he has not heard of a new like 900 series or something of that nature from Boothroyd Stuart Meridian Audio as of yet.

Dec 8, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #118 of 140
Since I am looking at possibly upgrading my G08 to the 808i, I thought I would bump this thread to see if anyone has any further information on the newer v2 and whether it is or will be a significant upgrade to the current version.

Dec 8, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #119 of 140
I spoke with Todd Green (TTJV) today and he indicated there is a new 808.2 player out now. However, the downside is the prior versions of the 808 or 808i are not upgradeable to the latest version. I couldn't believe Meridian would do that to their flagship player.
frown.gif
To make matters worse, the new version is supposed to be even better.

Dec 14, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #120 of 140
It depends on your situation/ purpose. For me, something like a Music Hall 25.2 makes sense. If you are an audio designer, a $15,000+ CD player might make a lot more sense. Just as an aside, I've heard the G08, and I definitely don't think it's hype. I doubt that anything meridian makes is. It is expensive, and it was designed for a certain type of person with certain types of objectives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back