Meridian 808i owners
Feb 16, 2007 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 140

Welly Wu

Headphoneus Supremus
I know that Mr. Todd Green from Todd the Vinyl & Headphone Junkie owns a Boothroyd Stuart Meridian Audio Signature Reference 808i, but perchance does anyone else also own it? Howabout having had auditioned it? What are your opinions especially concerning the value of it with regard to either 1. other Meridian Audio CD players, 2. other cost no object digital source components?

I myself have heard it on numerous occassions, but being the price is at a cool $14,850 USD (though I can buy it new at an appreciable discount or used for 8500-9000 from Audiogon), I have certainly had my reservations about acquiring my own. Now, that itch is starting to turn into a rash. Everytime I hear it in a dealer's showroom or at one of my audiophile friend's home, I keep wanting to stay longer and listen. It sounds simply rapturous.

So, this is an investigation of opinions thread. I won't lie: other's opinions will sway my decision making process. Thank you.

Feb 16, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #2 of 140
That is a lot of money for a CD player, in my opinion. I will preface this post with the fact that I have not heard it, but I cannot wrap my head around the concept that it is that much better than a G08. I argue with bhd812 all the time over this same issue, he feels it would be worth it, and I feel it is insane purely from the standpoint that the G08 is already so darned good, at almost 1/4th of the price. Ask to demo a G08 and see if you are into that sound in your own rig with your music, I think even for just headphones a 508.24 would be plenty. For that kind of dough, I might be more tempted to go outside the Meridian line, say Reimyo or Esoteric. Right now the G08 is fine by me, and may even end up downgrading to a 508.24

Feb 17, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #4 of 140
He is an authorized Meridian dealer so he was using the Meridian Audio DSP8000 and he used the MHR jacks. He said that this was, obviously, the best method.

I am kind of ashamed to admit this, but I'm still really curious about the Meridian 808i. The features set are so unique and incredible that they got all that into one box. The sound is neither analog or digital but pure music. I don't really like to make those kind of statements but this is one exception. I already know the voicing on the Meridian G08 and the G06 which my dealer had on hand as well. The 808i is at the top of that sound pyramid.

I just took a look at my financial plans and goals for this year. With the new career (I start on Monday), I can achieve these goals for sure: 1. pay off the balance on my US Department of Education student loan completely thus being completely 100% debt free (I have had this loan active since November 2004), 2. still have 1+ year of emergency funds, 3. still keep contributing to my Roth IRA while following my investing strategy and goals, 4. buy the Meridian 808i, 5. have enough left over to buy music. But! It will take me at least another couple of months maybe sometime in August 2007.

So, I'm keeping a level head about my financial plan regardless of whether I "pull the trigger" or not on it.

I have never heard a better CD player than the Meridian 808i. I'm going to my dealer again tomorrow afternoon after I fix my HP M7664X tonight (system recovery in process; argh Windows).

Damn. Why'd I have to get into this hobby?

Feb 17, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #7 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He is an authorized Meridian dealer so he was using the Meridian Audio DSP8000 and he used the MHR jacks. He said that this was, obviously, the best method.

I thought it would be something like that. The thing in common between the DSP8000 and the ATC speaker I made a link to (A bargain actually. Those speakers were used to master who knows how much of your music and films) is that they are both active designs with multiple mono amplifiers wired directly to individual drivers. I'm not really suggesting you should buy either of these models but just to think about loudspeakers at this performance level. They would be much more rewarding than headphones. I'd think you'd be selling yourself short listening to the 808i on headphones. Music should be fully three dimensional and physical. For anywhere around $10K I want a physical sonic kick in the chest, when called for, and a headphone can't do it.

At least this is what I'd do in getting maximum musical performance with said dollars. Getting the music out of your head and into the room will be far more significant than upgrading from a superb CD player to a more superb CD player....IMHO.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 1:14 PM Post #8 of 140
I still remember fixing the 1st Meridian CD player, which was a Philips unit fitted with a different front panel and a remote control feature. I also remember the rave reviews in the mags for something costing several times the original. That was the most expensive front panel and remote control upgrade I ever saw.

Feb 17, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #9 of 140
Quote:

I know that Mr. Todd Green from Todd the Vinyl & Headphone Junkie owns a Boothroyd Stuart Meridian Audio Signature Reference 808i, but perchance does anyone else also own it? Howabout having had auditioned it? What are your opinions especially concerning the value of it with regard to either 1. other Meridian Audio CD players, 2. other cost no object digital source components?

I myself have heard it on numerous occassions, but being the price is at a cool $14,850 USD (though I can buy it new at an appreciable discount or used for 8500-9000 from Audiogon), I have certainly had my reservations about acquiring my own. Now, that itch is starting to turn into a rash. Everytime I hear it in a dealer's showroom or at one of my audiophile friend's home, I keep wanting to stay longer and listen. It sounds simply rapturous.

So, this is an investigation of opinions thread. I won't lie: other's opinions will sway my decision making process. Thank you.

No digital player is worth that much and the technology in its engineering will be well obsolete within 7 years.Rich people who don't even listen to music will probable buy most of them.

Feb 17, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #10 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No digital player is worth that much and the technology in its engineering will be well obsolete within 7 years.Rich people who don't even listen to music will probable buy most of them.

How will it feel when you hear some $500 DAC beat your $14,000 player in 2010?
frown.gif

That same thing has me not want to invest very much in class A or class A/AB amplification right now given the speed of development of class D designs. Expensive loudspeakers I still consider to be a good long term investment.

Feb 17, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #11 of 140
I also heard the 808i/DSP8000 at the 2006 Hong Kong High End AV Show and was quite frankly blown away by it. As always, the listening environment is less than ideal but the sound was still glorious. Because of my listening position, I didn't get to experience any realistic soundstage but otherwise it was a very good experience. Granted I only had about 15 minutes of listening time, I don't think it was enough to say whether I would pay around $70k+ (Hong Kong price, iirc) for that sound/combo.

I have had experience with the G08 and can testify that Meridian do indeed make very good sounding, solidly built, eargasm-generating audio gear, but that is besides the point.

Sorry to sound "noob", but is the 808i version the one with the pre-amp function? Is it not possible to connect the 808 directly to the DSP8000?

[OFFTOPIC]

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
How will it feel when you hear some $500 DAC beat your $14,000 player in 2010?
That same thing has me not want to invest very much in class A or class A/AB amplification right now given the speed of development of class D designs. Expensive loudspeakers I still consider to be a good long term investment.

People who purchase $14k players are very comfortable with the sums of money involved and before ssportclay chimes in with the "rich people don't enjoy music" thing, I must say that while it may be true in the US (I honestly don't know. You tell me.), it certainly isn't true in China. (Kinda true in Hong Kong though
frown.gif
)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think that is a ridiculous statement, but I won't ruin the atmosphere of this thread by asking ssportclay to justify himself here. Although you do have a point, it certainly won't discourage anyone who is looking for a top-end source to consider the 808(i). With your logic, no one should be buying computers because in 7 years time, there'll be things the size of iPods that will outperform your current PC
evil_smiley.gif

[/OFFTOPIC]

Feb 17, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #12 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also heard the 808i/DSP8000 at the 2006 Hong Kong High End AV Show and was quite frankly blown away by it.

I haven't had the pleasure of hearing either but I'd speculate that the lion's share of the credit be given to the DSP8000.

Feb 17, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #13 of 140
That Meridian is a great-looking player, but because SACD is important to me (I listen only to classical music on my headphones), I've stopped looking at them. I've been comparing the Ayre C-5Xe, the Cary 306 SACD, the Wadia 581, and the Esoteric X-01, and all four of those are just unbelievable players. It's hard to compare cd players in this price range as they are all top notch, but the Redbook playback on all four of those is in now way inferior to the Meridian. And you get SACD on top of it all.

Feb 17, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #14 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is a lot of money for a CD player, in my opinion. I will preface this post with the fact that I have not heard it, but I cannot wrap my head around the concept that it is that much better than a G08. I argue with bhd812 all the time over this same issue, he feels it would be worth it, and I feel it is insane purely from the standpoint that the G08 is already so darned good, at almost 1/4th of the price. Ask to demo a G08 and see if you are into that sound in your own rig with your music, I think even for just headphones a 508.24 would be plenty. For that kind of dough, I might be more tempted to go outside the Meridian line, say Reimyo or Esoteric. Right now the G08 is fine by me, and may even end up downgrading to a 508.24

yeah you damm rite we argue it cause you never heard one...lol
I have heard from very close people that heard a g08 side by side to the 808 that there is a 30-40% increase in overall quality..I don't man you take my G08 and add in just 20% and to me thats worth it! You have no Faith in the Meridian Religion man,,,you have seen the days of g07 then went to the life of g08...you should have the faith!..lol
but i agree if I was messing around with cdp's at that range I would of course try out the cdp's you mentioned also..that is lots of money!
but if either of us get one Ryan we need to so do major Meridian g08 Vs 808 fight one day..yeah man!

Quote:

ok WellytheWoowoo..you know I like you rite? but let be blunt with you for a second..and I am quoting you so you don't decide to edit your posts out later on and ruin the thread like this one BTW: that was one of the best thread in headfi history and you destroyed by editing out your posts...so many people could of learned off that one simple thread...don't worry WeeWoo I still like you though..

anyway so here my opinion on the subject to you-the-woo. (i love that name)

first off I would like to know why you would spend or consider to spend so much on a cdp from somebody on A-gon when this thread just happened to you?..I mean if your buying something of this level..you buy new from a brick and mortar dealer buddy..cause Meridian is not like Denon. you will have to ship it back to them and if the Warranty papers or the dealer is not right...your screwed!..just imagine how much it will cost to ship and insure a 808? 75lbs and $13k-$14k insured...yeah take your chance on this one..
only reason why I say this is so you don't make the same mistake twice..at least not on a 808!.

second why do you need a 808i? why not just the 808? do you really need the preamp functions at a higher cost?

why not try a g08 first? have you ever demoed at home for a period in your home before? (meets or visiting a store front won't be enough.)

going from a Denon to a 808...panache it is!

Feb 17, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #15 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also heard the 808i/DSP8000 at the 2006 Hong Kong High End AV Show and was quite frankly blown away by it. As always, the listening environment is less than ideal but the sound was still glorious. Because of my listening position, I didn't get to experience any realistic soundstage but otherwise it was a very good experience. Granted I only had about 15 minutes of listening time, I don't think it was enough to say whether I would pay around $70k+ (Hong Kong price, iirc) for that sound/combo.

I have had experience with the G08 and can testify that Meridian do indeed make very good sounding, solidly built, eargasm-generating audio gear, but that is besides the point.

Sorry to sound "noob", but is the 808i version the one with the pre-amp function? Is it not possible to connect the 808 directly to the DSP8000?

[OFFTOPIC]

People who purchase $14k players are very comfortable with the sums of money involved and before ssportclay chimes in with the "rich people don't enjoy music" thing, I must say that while it may be true in the US (I honestly don't know. You tell me.), it certainly isn't true in China. (Kinda true in Hong Kong though
frown.gif
)

I think that is a ridiculous statement, but I won't ruin the atmosphere of this thread by asking ssportclay to justify himself here. Although you do have a point, it certainly won't discourage anyone who is looking for a top-end source to consider the 808(i). With your logic, no one should be buying computers because in 7 years time, there'll be things the size of iPods that will outperform your current PC
evil_smiley.gif

[/OFFTOPIC]

Mine is an intelligent statement because no matter how much money you throw at the compact disc format,you can only push it so far before you hit the brick wall of its specifications.The CD can never be an LP and no amount of money can make it so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back