Meridian 808.2 - Finally Received and Installed with B-52 into Home Rig - With Pictures
Jul 8, 2008 at 2:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

BigEat

500+ Head-Fier
Just received my Meridian 808.2. I've placed it in along side my Esoteric and connected it to the Ray Samuels B-52 via balanced outputs. In the break-in process but already noticing very liquid, high definition comparisons to Esoteric. Particularly well paired with the RS B-52.

Pictures show my 2 B-52s. Esoteric DA 60, Esoteric G-03X Master Clock, the Meridian, 2 Bel Canto DAC 3s, and the McIntosh MS750.

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:30 PM Post #3 of 25
Thanks Vcoheda. I'm still getting used to the Meridian, but it's a nice constrast to the Esoterics.

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:51 PM Post #4 of 25
What are the DAC3's for? just to look cool
wink.gif
or do you use them when you want to do use the computer as a source?

Jul 8, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #5 of 25
The DACs are for music files from the computer (Apple Lossless) and for digital output from the MS750. The McIntosh works infinitely better with its digital out run through the Bel Canto than it does directly from the RCA outs. (See Stereophile Review of the MS750, January 2008)

Jul 8, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigEat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DACs are for music files from the computer (Apple Lossless) and for digital output from the MS750. The McIntosh works infinitely better with its digital out run through the Bel Canto than it does directly from the RCA outs. (See Stereophile Review of the MS750, January 2008)

Amazing setup.

Thanks for clarifying. 6 grand for a music server and you still need to use a separate DAC? That's wild. I'd just get a squeezebox.

Jul 8, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigEat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still getting used to the Meridian, but it's a nice constrast to the Esoterics.

if i had to guess, the 808.2 is warmer and more spacious while the esoteric is a bit brighter but more detailed (or analytical). something like that?

Jul 8, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if i had to guess, the 808.2 is warmer and more spacious while the esoteric is a bit brighter but more detailed (or analytical). something like that?

You said it perfectly and honestly, I've owned Esoteric for years. I've gotten used to the brighter, detailed, almost more "digital" sounding resolution. The Meridian is much "smoother" and "warmer" if you will. I thought that it might make a good companion for the "tubey" sound of the B-52. It also needs some burn in I suspect. I will confess at first listen I was a little caught off guard.

Jul 8, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreadhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amazing setup.

Thanks for clarifying. 6 grand for a music server and you still need to use a separate DAC? That's wild. I'd just get a squeezebox.

That hurt LOL, but it's a good point.

Jul 9, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #10 of 25
Added the additional pictures

Jul 9, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #15 of 25
Excuse me while I pick up my jaw, it hit the floor rather hard. D:

Simply an outstanding setup, phenomenal. That meridian is a tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back